jamesreilly

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
How do I get the bench (lower, plain, non-split, no under cushion storage type) seat out of my Bronco Sport (Big Bend) so that the seat backs will really fold flat enough to get my bike inside (standing up, seat post collapsed)? I don't see any attachment bolts.

How do I get the bench (lower, plain, non-split, no under cushion storage type) seat out of my Bronco Sport (Big Bend) so that the seat backs will really fold flat enough to get my bike inside (standing up, seat post collapsed)? I don't see any attachment bolts.
I’m going to answer my own question, because I figured it out... The bench cushion is held in by two plastic clips about a foot from the outer edges of the cushion. Simply pull up (one side at a time is okay) to detach and then lift the cushion out. It makes for a pretty easy removal and replacement if you want to carry passengers in the back again. Not as convenient as my old Escape (truck), but allows the floor at the front of the rear cargo area to set lower by over six inches, which is enough to allow for upright transport of a large mountain bike (with the seat post collapsed). I also found a nice rectangular piece of plywood to set on top of the under-seat support bars which prevents the seat-back cushions from indentations, and actually puts the floor on a flatter (non-drooping) position. Whoo hoo!

Ford Bronco Sport Remove Rear Bench Seat From Bronco Sport - How-To F07E82B3-8F6E-4303-9088-4A192366A129

Ford Bronco Sport Remove Rear Bench Seat From Bronco Sport - How-To 5E4400CA-2249-44A2-8288-403EE266FDC2
Sponsored

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
I’m going to answer my own question, because I figured it out... The bench cushion is held in by two plastic clips about a foot from the outer edges of the cushion. Simply pull up (one side at a time is okay) to detach and then lift the cushion out. It makes for a pretty easy removal and replacement if you want to carry passengers in the back again. Not as convenient as my old Escape (truck), but allows the floor at the front of the rear cargo area to set lower by over six inches, which is enough to allow for upright transport of a large mountain bike (with the seat post collapsed). I also found a nice rectangular piece of plywood to set on top of the under-seat support bars which prevents the seat-back cushions from indentations, and actually puts the floor on a flatter (non-drooping) position. Whoo hoo!

Ford Bronco Sport Remove Rear Bench Seat From Bronco Sport - How-To F07E82B3-8F6E-4303-9088-4A192366A129

Ford Bronco Sport Remove Rear Bench Seat From Bronco Sport - How-To 5E4400CA-2249-44A2-8288-403EE266FDC2
Can you get pictures of the clips. I’m happy this is possible.

Mgboyd

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Thank you. Agree, would like the picture of the clips.

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Yeah, the full sized spare in the cargo area is stupid as it took the benefit of the safari roof away, not to mention eating up precious cargo area. Tailgate swing away mount is the only way to go.

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
James, this is really great news if I understand it correctly. Are you saying that with the rear seat cushions removed (and they did remove easily) the rear seat backs can be made completely flat like in our old Escapes? I wouldn't mind at all if a plywood support is required.

So with the seat backs flat, is there a big step up (or down) to the cargo floor above the spare? Can you level the cargo floor to match the seat backs so the entire rear cargo area is now at the same height?

OP
OP
jamesreilly

jamesreilly

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport

James, this is really great news if I understand it correctly. Are you saying that with the rear seat cushions removed (and they did remove easily) the rear seat backs can be made completely flat like in our old Escapes? I wouldn't mind at all if a plywood support is required.

So with the seat backs flat, is there a big step up (or down) to the cargo floor above the spare? Can you level the cargo floor to match the seat backs so the entire rear cargo area is now at the same height?
The cargo floor is now a little lower and angled downward, instead of higher and angled upward at the front. The pictures show the plastic female receptacles that metal square loop hooks on the removed bench seat snap into, and the angle of the cargo floor w/seat backs folded down on top of the plywood that I laid in. The downward angle is steeper without the plywood. And, actually, if you needed to seat someone in the back, you could flip up either seat back and toss in a pillow or chair cushion, as the seat belts remain in place and functional! (You’ll also want to flip the outer headrests forward and remove the small middle one.)

Ford Bronco Sport Remove Rear Bench Seat From Bronco Sport - How-To F2E2D9A3-AFE4-4E0F-ADB1-D9159D307B51

Ford Bronco Sport Remove Rear Bench Seat From Bronco Sport - How-To 663D578A-C818-4F9B-8D43-973650BC7031

Last edited:

Zander1ni

Big Bend
First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf tdi
Yeah, the full sized spare in the cargo area is stupid as it took the benefit of the safari roof away, not to mention eating up precious cargo area. Tailgate swing away mount is the only way to go.
Tailgate swing mount is a serious pain in the ass if you have to use your tailgate regularly on a daily basis.

the only way an OEM would do this is if there was a horizontal opening door a la defender and land cruiser prado

MountainMack

First Edition
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

James, I took down my previous post asking for more information because I re-read what you originally wrote, got over my fear of breaking my new Bronco, and lifted up the seat cushion and *pop* *pop*, your instructions were right!

For anyone else who might have missed how easy this is, like I did (why it's not in the owner's manual, I have no idea) -

Here are the steps to removing the seat cushion on all models that don't have the under-seat storage -
1) Open the side door and place one hand on the side of the bench seat and one on the front.
2) Lift straight up until you hear the metal ring disengage from the plastic clip on the frame.
3) Repeat on the other side.
4) Lift the seat cushion out

*It pops back into place just as easily.
Ford Bronco Sport Remove Rear Bench Seat From Bronco Sport - How-To Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 9.27.41 PM

neosolidus

Badlands
First Name
Willy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3,Jeep Wrangler JLemon
So why don't the bikes fit like the marketing claims?
exactly, I just read this and now feel one of the main reasons I chose this vehicle(inside easy bike storage) is a bust.

Definitely throwing a wrench in my plans and making me think about my options.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
exactly, I just read this and now feel one of the main reasons I chose this vehicle(inside easy bike storage) is a bust.

Definitely throwing a wrench in my plans and making me think about my options.
I suspect a smaller mountain bike fits, particularly in the non-BL or FE trims that don't carry the full-size spare. You get something like 3 more cu. ft. cargo area in those trims for that reason alone. But also, someone of average height is not riding a 20"-22" hybrid bike frame like I do. I am curious to test the fit myself -- even various angles if just the 1 bike -- otherwise I still have the 2" receiver mounted Thule rack. I THINK it will only be for day trips anyway, as on longer excursions I won't have room in the back for it anyway -- in which cases, security no longer seems relevant. If OTOH I wanted to pack it to work every day for a lunchtime ride -- yes, I'd pack into the back for safety and security. And to be honest, I've never really felt all that safe and secure with the bike hanging off the back of the vehicle on that hitch-mounted rack, but it does in reality work well.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Or...the compact spare and lower cargo floor. Heck, could even possibly figure out a replacement steel wheel and tire size to match the regular diameter--if anyone makes such a thing, it would fit lower and work better with the driveline until you get the other wheel back on. The "you're out on the trail" spare concept doesn't really work when the "full-size" is smaller than what's on the vehicle. I GUESS THEN, if you're really overlanding or way out on the trail, a true full-size spare on the back, or roof, or slung underneath would be the way to go -- maybe just not on the little BS.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
Before next year’s big trip we are getting a full size sore with an AT tyre to match what is on the truck.
My understanding is that 650b wheeled bikes will fit on the internal Yakima rack and bigger ones won’t.

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
Has anyone tried removing the rear seat on a BS with the under seat storage compartment?
Sponsored

Last edited: