Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Yes. Happening to me in my Escape along with other SYNC issues beginning last Septemmber.

I've done multiple system resets.

Dealer did a master reset last year. I wanted it done at the dealer so it was documented.

Dealer reprogrammed the APIM the second time I brought it in.

Third time they reprogrammed the gateway module, Ford SSM 51254. Thought that fixed my issues.

Radio has started coming on occasionally again. Doesn't happen all the time. Also, Android Auto will disconnect, then reconnect after a little while.
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.
Sponsored

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
I have a similar problem with my wife's '20 Ecosport. Most of the time when we start the car, the radio is on. This happens even though we were not listening to it when we shut the car off. When this happens, you cannot shut it off. The other symptom we experience is the screen turning black. When this happens, you have to park the car for a while, and it usually comes back. I took the car in to Ford a few months ago. After several trips to the dealer, they replaced the ACM. That lasted several weeks and now it does it again.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I have a similar problem with my wife's '20 Ecosport. Most of the time when we start the car, the radio is on. This happens even though we were not listening to it when we shut the car off. When this happens, you cannot shut it off. The other symptom we experience is the screen turning black. When this happens, you have to park the car for a while, and it usually comes back. I took the car in to Ford a few months ago. After several trips to the dealer, they replaced the ACM. That lasted several weeks and now it does it again.
I am pretty sure you already answered this but do you have this on the Ecosport:
SYNC 3, Software Version: 3.4 Build 22251 PRODUCT
(Sorry for asking again if you already answered that)

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.

Private message sent with VIN and dealer information. Dealer has been responsive to my continuing issues. This is now approaching a year.

I think it's what Dude posted on the previous page in reply to my post. The previous fixes: sytem reset, master reset, reprogram APIM, and reprogram gateway module work for a while. But, it doesn't address the source of the problem with SYNC.

Again, my dealer has been responsive to my concerns. Thanks!

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am pretty sure you already answered this but do you have this on the Ecosport:
SYNC 3, Software Version: 3.4 Build 22251 PRODUCT
(Sorry for asking again if you already answered that)
3.4 21194

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.4 21194
Ahhh now I remember! And since you already had the APIM replaced did the dealership tell you what else they can do to fix the problem?

(For example, on bronco sport there’s a few people saying that reloading the software on the gateway module and or replacing the gateway module fixes their similar issues but I don’t think was a long term fix either).

A friend of mine once said this about a computer … “ it’s just a machine, how hard can it be to make it work “.

I wish I had access to the Sync software and a developer station … I’d fix it myself.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ahhh now I remember! And since you already had the APIM replaced did the dealership tell you what else they can do to fix the problem?

(For example, on bronco sport there’s a few people saying that reloading the software on the gateway module and or replacing the gateway module fixes their similar issues but I don’t think was a long term fix either).

A friend of mine once said this about a computer … “ it’s just a machine, how hard can it be to make it work “.

I wish I had access to the Sync software and a developer station … I’d fix it myself.

I never bothered going back. We only use this vehicle around town (wife's work commute is about 1.5 miles). Not worth tying the car up while they try to figure it out. My '23 OBX has been perfect so far. If it starts acting up, I may think about switching to another make of vehicle (Range Rover?).

Blaise365

Big Bend
First Name
Blaise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
This just started happening. Whenever I turn the vehicle on, the radio automatically turns on to FM, and I always shut the radio off when exiting the car. The odd part about this is that I always listen to Sirius, and it turns on to AM, but when I switch the source back to Sirius it is on Sirius Channel 0.

Has anybody else had this happen or any ideas as to what is suddenly causing this? I did not receive or apply any Sync updates (auto updates are turned off).

This is VERY annoying.
Same thing has happened to me! Months ago I posted on here with AA/bluetooth issues...After figuring out that when you'd be connected via USB or bluetooth, left the car running but the device disconnected..I stopped doing that and my issues were gone completely.

This current issue just started this week. Whenever the car is turned on again, the radio might be on a random FM/AM station or SiriusXM channel 0. If any devices were paired previously, every engine turn off removes ALL devices no matter how long the vehicle sat. Several master resets haven't done anything either. I contacted the dealer and the soonest they could take a look at it would be October. I'm absolutely irritated at all of the issues I've had since getting my vehicle. The engine recall, APIM issue, the whale screeching while reversing, etc.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same thing has happened to me! Months ago I posted on here with AA/bluetooth issues...After figuring out that when you'd be connected via USB or bluetooth, left the car running but the device disconnected..I stopped doing that and my issues were gone completely.

This current issue just started this week. Whenever the car is turned on again, the radio might be on a random FM/AM station or SiriusXM channel 0. If any devices were paired previously, every engine turn off removes ALL devices no matter how long the vehicle sat. Several master resets haven't done anything either. I contacted the dealer and the soonest they could take a look at it would be October. I'm absolutely irritated at all of the issues I've had since getting my vehicle. The engine recall, APIM issue, the whale screeching while reversing, etc.
For all of those issues (radio on a random FM/AM station or on SiriusXM channel 0, paired devices removed, etc.), it is not likely to be a problem with the APIM.

I have similar issues and so do a zillion bronco sport and other Ford vehicle owners that all have SYNC 3, Software Version: 3.4 Build 22251 PRODUCT installed. I am guessing your Bronco Sport also has 22251 installed?

See this post if you want more info:
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/sync-3-4-build-22251-default-issue.8699/

Or just wait like we all are for Ford to release the next Sync update. Last we heard, it might be around mid August but there’s no known ETA. The other choice you have is to use Cyan Labs for their tools and Sync updates.

Blaise365

Big Bend
First Name
Blaise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
For all of those issues (radio on a random FM/AM station or on SiriusXM channel 0, paired devices removed, etc.), it is not likely to be a problem with the APIM.

I have similar issues and so do a zillion bronco sport and other Ford vehicle owners that all have SYNC 3, Software Version: 3.4 Build 22251 PRODUCT installed. I am guessing your Bronco Sport also has 22251 installed?

See this post if you want more info:
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/sync-3-4-build-22251-default-issue.8699/

Or just wait like we all are for Ford to release the next Sync update. Last we heard, it might be around mid August but there’s no known ETA. The other choice you have is to use Cyan Labs for their tools and Sync updates.
You are correct! I might look into Cyan Labs.

Muffles79

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands Area 51
This has happned on every Ford vehicle I have owned since 2017.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I have a different issue. My music is on a USB that I use all the time.
It's in use when I shut the car off.

On the next start up, the radio comes on and a popup appears saying "searching for USB---"
15 seconds later it say's it can't find the USB even though it knows one is plugged into the USB port and was used previously.

So, I have to go back into the menu and click sources and sure enough the USB is listed. I have to hit the icon to start playing the music. A minor issue maybe, but it should work every time I start the vehicle.

I don't know when the next software update is coming out, but I sure hope they figure out the bugs in 22251 and correct them. This can't be that hard to figure out. Someone gets paid to troubleshoot problems and correct them.

I did the PM thing to "Ford" but that was a joke talking overseas with nothing resolved.

Never had an issue in my previous 2020 Audi Q3, and in my wife's current 2021 Mercedes GLB 250, it works every time.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
Welcome to Club 22251. 🙂