Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
I thought I would try Carvana, Carmax or Vroom to see where I could get the most money for my trade in. I assumed it would probably be higher than what the dealer would offer me. While talking to a friend I was told something I didn't know. He said if I trade in with the dealer, I only pay taxes on the difference between the cost of the new vehicle and the trade-in. If I sell to Carvana etc., I will have to pay taxes on the full price of the new vehicle. That tax savings might offset the difference between the two figures. I live in New York State. Does anyone know if this is true. If so, I have to re-think trading vs. selling outright.
Sponsored

Suzysparks

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX Type S
I thought I would try Carvana, Carmax or Vroom to see where I could get the most money for my trade in. I assumed it would probably be higher than what the dealer would offer me. While talking to a friend I was told something I didn't know. He said if I trade in with the dealer, I only pay taxes on the difference between the cost of the new vehicle and the trade-in. If I sell to Carvana etc., I will have to pay taxes on the full price of the new vehicle. That tax savings might offset the difference between the two figures. I live in New York State. Does anyone know if this is true. If so, I have to re-think trading vs. selling outright.
I believe different states have different rules, but in Texas that is absolutely the case. You can do the math. The amount the dealer is giving, while maybe less, will be offset because of the tax savings.

RPYLE50

Outer Banks
First Name
Rowdy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I would check with your state. In Missouri, the sales tax you pay is the difference between the price of the car(s) you sold versus the price you paid for a new one regardless if you trade it to the dealership or sale private party. I would sell to whoever can give you the best price for your car to reduce your tax liability IMO.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
In IL you can take up to $10K of the value of your trade in off the new-car sales tax bill.

Bill G

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport Badlands, 66 Tiger
It’s true here in CA too, but you do have to do the math. Carmax gave me $3000 over trade-in which more than offset sales tax difference.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
I traded in my 2001 VW GTI GLX when I bought a CPO 2003 Audi A4 Avant 3.0q. Salesman said the trade-in comes off the purchase cost, and I save on sales tax. Never knew that.

Pigpen

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
True in Tennessee. CarMax offered me more for my 2017 Escape with 17k miles than Ford offered, but my cost was less trading it in due to the sales tax difference.

Reactions: ZQ8

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
True in most states even when buying out of state. You pay the taxes on the total purchase amount based on your state tax rate. Trading your vehicle in drops the overall purchase amount.

Jill

Badlands
First Name
Gillian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Kodiak Brown Bronco Sport Badlands
True in Ontario.

Outback Texan

Badlands
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Yes... true here in Texas. However I still came out ahead when I sold my 2017 Golf GTi to Carmax and bought my Badlands from a local dealer. I came out ahead by about $1800. You just have to get a Carmax estimate then run the numbers. Good luck.

Caliope

Outer Banks
First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS OBX, 2019 Ranger Lariat Screw
In IL you can take up to $10K of the value of your trade in off the new-car sales tax bill.
As of 1/1/22, the tax rules changed in IL. You now get to exclude the full trade in value from the sales tax bill. That was how it used to be until our illustrious governor Pritzker changed things to raise more sales tax revenue from the rich at the expense of the middleclass.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
As of 1/1/22, the tax rules changed in IL. You now get to exclude the full trade in value from the sales tax bill. That was how it used to be until our illustrious governor Pritzker changed things to raise more sales tax revenue from the rich at the expense of the middleclass.
Well, that's nice to know; it changed right after I bought the Badlands in Nov '21. Dang...
Sponsored