Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
So I'm driving my BS Badlands yesterday morning when a pothole and a poorly timed coffee cup return to the cupholder resulted in a small geyser of coffee shooting into the air though the little drink hole and landing on my shift knob and G.O.A.T selector.

All heck broke loose. The shift selector indicator started flashing between Drive, Park, Neutral and Reverse. The dash lit up with warnings about the parking brake, 4wd, diff lock and other messages I couldn't keep track of while trying to get off the road as the BS lurched and bucked in protest. I pulled onto the right turn lane then accelerated to make a right turn. The Bronco went into reverse even though it said D for drive, then it went forward, then back into reverse then finally started moving forward.

I finally pulled off the road and warnings continued to flash on the dash. The only thing I could think of was the old westerns when the snake bit cowboy "sucked the poison out". Yep, I bent over and sucked the coffee out of all the selector knobs. I'm sure I'm on a youtube video somewhere but it worked and the BS returned to normal operations. No problems at all since but what was Ford thinking when they put unprotected selector switches next to cup holders. I feel I got off easy in that the damage wasn't permanent and I drink my coffee black so there was no sticky residue in the buttons.

From now on I'll stick with water bottles in the door holders only.
Sponsored

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
That's completely insane. Not that I have any particular reason to doubt your story, just that it's insane for Ford to build something so susceptible to something so small. Heck, I can spill crap on a modern laptop or a phone or a keyboard and the PC wouldn't give a rip. They use the same shifter in, like, every car now. And it's that fragile? That's a huge safety issue and it honestly makes me at least consider the overall build. Like I said, this isn't an example of a first-year flaw. Those knobs are in a bunch of Fords.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
sorry for your problem but I just can't get past the vision of you with a lip lock on your shifter. good thing there wasn't a cop walking by.

I just hope you don't take sweetener in your coffee. if so your problem isn't over.

Last edited:

moserp624

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport, Mazda CX-5
Ensure you report this to Ford in some way/shape/form. If it is a real problem for the overall model then they've got things to fix.

Honestly though it sounds more like a fluke. As others have said, this shifter is used elsewhere already and I'm sure your not the first person to spill anything while driving. Sounds more like your car has a bad gasket (or however the shifter knob is water resistant). Maybe worth your local ford service taking a look into for you. That would definitely be a warranty type fix.

OP
OP
Ultraspaz

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
That's completely insane. Not that I have any particular reason to doubt your story, just that it's insane for Ford to build something so susceptible to something so small. Heck, I can spill crap on a modern laptop or a phone or a keyboard and the PC wouldn't give a rip. They use the same shifter in, like, every car now. And it's that fragile? That's a huge safety issue and it honestly makes me at least consider the overall build. Like I said, this isn't an example of a first-year flaw. Those knobs are in a bunch of Fords.
I took delivery on this BS back in December. Being it was at the beginning of the manufacturing learning curve it is possible something got left out. I'm definitely giving the dealer a call about checking out the switches.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Interesting. And yeah the knob feature is becoming the industry norm. Drove a ram and they have the same shift feature. Definitely not a Ford problem. It could be a YOU problem as you said, perhaps the shifter you have is missing or has a bad gasket...or it was just incredibly bad luck with a coffee spill

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado

2001 escape

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Escape XLT
Am I the only one that wants the shifter back on the column?
The center console has less and less space with these console shifters, and now dials....I’m just too old for “progress“ I guess.

But also never went rock crawling either....so there must be some advantages I don’t realize.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
The center console has less and less space with these console shifters, and now dials....I’m just too old for “progress“ I guess.

But also never went rock crawling either....so there must be some advantages I don’t realize.
Nope..I miss the shifter on the column. I have to admit, after a month and a half I've adapted...tried to move my daughter's beetle and had a brain fart searching for the dial.

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I can't believe it's not dual channel safety circuits that would detect shorts so it would not go into reverse @ 60mph
Another place I will have to pack dielectric grease into...I like my coffee

HungLo

Outer Banks
First Name
Siu
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Tesla Model 3
Holy crap that must have been really scary. Hope it's an isolated incident and not all of our cars have that issue. If it's happening to all BS then they should do a recall. Safety issue 100%, needs to be fixed ASAP.

Last edited:

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
What? There is eating and drinking in your Sport?
Personal choice not to for now. No crumbs, no drips or spills, no errant fries under the seat or console valley. Just me.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado

Being as it doesn't require a mechanical connection to the transmission, there is no reason to waste space on the console and make a critical control component subject to damage, be it liquid spill, scrunchie, garter from wedding, whatever.
On the column works or even on the dash is better than the console.

kman779

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Be sure to post what you hear from your dealer. It would be interesting to know what they have to say about this and if they plan on doing anything. I can't imagine the sudden gear shifting back and forth is healthy for the transmission.
Sponsored