Poor gas mileage 15.1 city 21-23 highway (Los Angeles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
I’m wondering what the city mpg is by itself? Ford inflates the numbers by putting 1/2 worn tires on the new vehicles. They are low rolling resistance tires because most of the tread I already removed.

at 3/32” the tires should be changed. So that leaves 5/32” of actual use. If you add back the cost of tires with 30,000 miles of total usage and subtract that from your mpg that should in effect drop your overall mpg by 2-3mpg.

So that taken into account with premature tire replacement should in fact be the defacto mpg to offset the cost of new tires. Same with teslas they chew through tires like a woodpecker tapping away on a telephone pole.
Any proof to this?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Desert Bronco.

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Schwinn Beach Cruiser,
Any proof to this?
The low resistance tires start with 8/32” with tread. The tread indicator is at 2/32” so you have 6/32” of overall depth. With a front wheel drive vehicle there is greater wheel on the front tires. So you’re replacing tires sooner. You’re getting better gas mileage since there’s less rubber on the tire 🛞 and weight. So figure the cost difference and subtract that from your total mpg. Nothing is free in life.

BLUEOVALRACER

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
The low resistance tires start with 8/32” with tread. The tread indicator is at 2/32” so you have 6/32” of overall depth. With a front wheel drive vehicle there is greater wheel on the front tires. So you’re replacing tires sooner. You’re getting better gas mileage since there’s less rubber on the tire 🛞 and weight. So figure the cost difference and subtract that from your total mpg. Nothing is free in life.
So you think Ford is the only car company that uses tires with less tread width?You don't think they all do it for Mileage ratings?

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
Nope. Sorry sir. You can't use "I'm in Los Angeles" as an excuse. God knows I lived in SoCal for a while so I am well aware that central LA is the armpit of armpits when ti comes to traffic, but trust me when I say Miami has become NO commuter friendly city over the last 10 years as it has almost doubled in size but without near the infrastructure to support it.

I also changed wheels. I went from stock carbon greys to RTRs that are also 17's but a half inch wider. I stepped up in weight in tire choice going to 245 all terrain cooper discoverer. I have Yakima crossbars on all the time. I'm about 21-22mpg. I think I was about 23-24 a few thousand miles after lot drive off. I have yet to reset the mpg since I got it.

But you know what I do notice? Is that when I give this 2 liter gas and get it up in the RPM spectrum, the drop in mpg is precipitous. HARD. You're essentially dumping fuel once you get past 4K.

And lastly, how are you driving to and from Los Angeles so much, when your profile says the Mojave? I would imagine such a commute would take the burden off the mpg.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.