Poor gas mileage 15.1 city 21-23 highway (Los Angeles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Schwinn Beach Cruiser,
I have a 2022 bronco sport badlands, 2.0 liter 4 cylinder with BF Goodrich Trail Terrains (6ply tires) I now have 45,000 miles on the vehicle and after changing from the stock Pirelli Scorpions, which were junk tires, my gas mileage dropped by three miles. i routinely got 21-22 city and 26-29 highway in LA driving. I drove Uber so I know how to drive gently and was well aware of my gas mileage.

again after switching the tires from Pirelli, I destroyed them at around 23,000 miles my gas mileage dropped 2-3 miles. Now with the summer blend of gas I’m getting 15-16 mpg in te city. It’s pretty unacceptable at this point considering that gas is hovering around $5 a gallon I run 87 octane gas instead of premium.

The EPA numbers from the factory show a much higher numbers and personally I feel cheated by Ford Motor company by inflating the numbers with very lightweight tires. This is not the first time Ford has lied about the numbers and they’ve lost clas action lawsuits before regarding higher than expected numbers. Should I feel cheated or just accept the fact? This is the last Ford product I will ever buy. I’m done with Ford, ford motor credit and ford dealership service departments.
Sponsored

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
Two things. Are your new tires a little bit bigger? If so, the PCM is not properly calculating the mileage. The other is tire weight. If these are much heavier tires, the extra unsprung weight will also be a drag on fuel efficiency.

I would also ask if you’ve added any roof accessories?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
personally I feel cheated by Ford Motor company by inflating the numbers with very lightweight tires
Did you stick with OE tire size?

Vehicle engineering is a game of tradeoffs. The Badlands is marketed to people who want a capable off-roader with good road manners. Tire selection is one of the many, many factors that's part of the overall equation. Heavy tires generally do not make for decent on-road handling and ride quality. If you wanted better off-road performance than that offered by the OE Pirellis there are plenty of lighter-weight tire options available. Ford even offered one as an option: the Falken Wildpeak.

Ultimately, you made a modification to the vehicle that adversely affects performance. How is that Ford's fault?

I have over 25K on the original Falken Wildpeaks that came on my Badlands. I've been tracking fuel economy over all those miles, and my numbers align perfectly with EPA projections.

Last edited:

DonImbimbo

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
We have a 21 Badlands with stock tires still on it. We average 24.8 mpg in mixed driving. And that has not changed since we bought it new. We use 93 octane exclusively .

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
Sounds about right to be honest if you’re driving Uber in stop and go LA traffic. Idle time in traffic is going to affect it. Also, don’t trust the computer. Try a couple tanks with hand calculations to see if you get different results. Not saying you will, but you might be higher or lower than the car is telling you.

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
And also....with fuel efficiency numbers that bad PLUS the fact that you are in a high density urban area, like me .... would lead me to believe that you have a peculiarly heavy foot. Remember, the Ecoboost is EITHER "Eco" OR "boost". And when you are in "boost" (as you will be with a heavy foot), the gas mileage is awful compared to staying in the low end of the rpm range. Granted its a 2.3, but I only get about 19mpg 'overall' on my Mustang, because its just too much fun to not be in the 'good end' of the rpm range. The BS not so much.

Horse n Buggy

Badlands
First Name
Stoge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I have a 2022 bronco sport badlands, 2.0 liter 4 cylinder with BF Goodrich Trail Terrains (6ply tires) I now have 45,000 miles on the vehicle and after changing from the stock Pirelli Scorpions, which were junk tires, my gas mileage dropped by three miles. i routinely got 21-22 city and 26-29 highway in LA driving. I drove Uber so I know how to drive gently and was well aware of my gas mileage.

again after switching the tires from Pirelli, I destroyed them at around 23,000 miles my gas mileage dropped 2-3 miles. Now with the summer blend of gas I’m getting 15-16 mpg in te city. It’s pretty unacceptable at this point considering that gas is hovering around $5 a gallon I run 87 octane gas instead of premium.

The EPA numbers from the factory show a much higher numbers and personally I feel cheated by Ford Motor company by inflating the numbers with very lightweight tires. This is not the first time Ford has lied about the numbers and they’ve lost clas action lawsuits before regarding higher than expected numbers. Should I feel cheated or just accept the fact? This is the last Ford product I will ever buy. I’m done with Ford, ford motor credit and ford dealership service departments.
If you went from the stock Pirelli Scorpions (225 65R17 25lbs per tire) to BF Goodrich Trail Terrains (225 are 34lbs per tire 235 are 36lbd per tire and 245 are 38lbs per tire) and are shocked you lost fuel economy, you shouldn't be shocked by losing fuel economy. Heavier and more Offroad focused tires will always get worse fuel economy.

Studies have shown that an increase.of 1lb of rotating weight is about equal to adding 8lbs of sprung weight. So going up 9lbs per tires minimum for the Trail Terrains is like adding 288lbs to your car (416lbs if you went to 245s). Additionally if you went with taller tires you are increasing your drag profile which will reduce your fuel economy, and switching to these Trail Terrains increases your tread width, which means more rolling resistance and a further decrease in economy.

Installing bigger, heavier and wider Offroad tires on your car to drive on the street is your choice, not Ford being deceptive

Wandering Pinto

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I also have a 2022 Badlands. I went from 225 Scorpions to 235 Trail Terrains. I saw a slight drop in mpg. I am currently getting 25 mpg in my daily driving around town, which includes about 3/4 state highways and 28+ on the interstate. In the winter I get about 3 mpg less due to cold and winter blend gasoline.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
’22 badlands, currently 45,000 miles

Stock Pirelli Scorpions 225 65R17:
routinely got 21-22 city
26-29 highway in LA driving

BF Goodrich Trail Terrains (6ply tires) size unknown:
gas mileage dropped by 2-3 miles.
with LA summer blend of gas: getting 15-16 mpg in the city.
Use 87 octane gas (not premium)
I summarized your post. What size BF Goodrich Trail Terrains did you go with?

I hand calculate my mileage, the on-board computer is 1.2 mpg higher on average over past 2+ years on my ‘22 Badlands with the stock Pirelli Scorpions 225 65R17.

A 2-3 mile drop is reasonable depending on the size of the BF Goodrich Trail Terrains.

Another thing to keep in mind is the age of the vehicle - I have noticed the long term average mpg is creeping downward as my Pirelli Scorpions age and the rest of the vehicle ages. I consistently use Costco’s Premium fuel.

Getting 15-16 mpg in the city with LA summer blend of gas seems unreasonable to me and is much worse than just the 2-3 mpg you had noticed. Perhaps the gas isn’t good for mileage or some other component is causing this sort of mpg reduction.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Desert Bronco.

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And also....with fuel efficiency numbers that bad PLUS the fact that you are in a high density urban area, like me .... would lead me to believe that you have a peculiarly heavy foot. Remember, the Ecoboost is EITHER "Eco" OR "boost". And when you are in "boost" (as you will be with a heavy foot), the gas mileage is awful compared to staying in the low end of the rpm range. Granted its a 2.3, but I only get about 19mpg 'overall' on my Mustang, because its just too much fun to not be in the 'good end' of the rpm range. The BS not so much.
I don’t have a heavy foot, I don’t drive Uber and traffic isn’t heavy, just lights every 5 blocks. I run in economy mode and 87 octane. The tires 🛞are about 2 pounds heavier and one size up so it shouldn’t be too big of a hit on the mpg.

OP
OP
Desert Bronco.

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I summarized your post. What size BF Goodrich Trail Terrains did you go with?

I hand calculate my mileage, the on-board computer is 1.2 mpg higher on average over past 2+ years on my ‘22 Badlands with the stock Pirelli Scorpions 225 65R17.

A 2-3 mile drop is reasonable depending on the size of the BF Goodrich Trail Terrains.

Another thing to keep in mind is the age of the vehicle - I have noticed the long term average mpg is creeping downward as my Pirelli Scorpions age and the rest of the vehicle ages. I consistently use Costco’s Premium fuel.

And as an Uber driver you are carrying around a lot of passenger weight and baggage

Getting 15-16 mpg in the city with LA summer blend of gas seems unreasonable to me and is much worse than just the 2-3 mpg you had noticed. Perhaps the gas isn’t good for mileage or some other component is causing this sort of mpg reduction.
I don’t drive Uber anymore, I stopped driving Uber 9 months ago., so there’s no dead weight or deadbeat passenger.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t drive Uber anymore, I stopped driving Uber 9 months ago., so there’s no dead weight or deadbeat passenger.
Ok here’s an update but what size BF Goodrich Trail Terrains do you have … Are they 235 65R17?

I summarized your post.

A 2-3 mile drop is reasonable depending on the size of the BF Goodrich Trail Terrains. I’m assuming you have 235 65R17 based on your prior post.

Another thing to keep in mind is the age of the vehicle - I have noticed my long term average mpg is creeping downward as my Pirelli Scorpions age and the rest of the vehicle ages. I consistently use Costco’s Premium fuel.

[As a point of reference: My ‘22 Badlands with stock Pirelli Scorpions 225 65R17 averages an actual 24.3 mpg over 2.3 years and 25k miles. This is a hand calculated long-term average # … the computer shows 25.4 long term average (I do not reset the average fuel economy) which is consistently 1.1 to 1.20 higher on average than the hand calculated fuel economy. I drive an estimated mix of 75% city and 25% highway]

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If your caught up in LA stop and go traffic stopping and accelerating every 10 feet makes it difficult to get good mileage, also if you drive during peak drive time which depending on the FWY you're on can also be like stop and go traffic you wont get good mileage.
I have a Badlands with 245 65R 17 Falken Rubitrek tires, my city fuel mileage isn't as low as yours but it is typically below 20mpg with city only driving. To get good mileage on the FWY you need open flowing traffic preferably flat and no hills and when driving at a decent speed I can get in the mid to upper 20's.
Drafting semi trucks on the way to lake Havasu I have gotten just shy of 30mpg, Im sure if I drove closer to 60 mph than 80 mph I could get 30 mpg.
Make sure your tire pressures are good and with 45k miles I would look at the air filter to make sure it's not excessively dirty, there is a lot of crap in the air around here.

OP
OP
Desert Bronco.

Desert Bronco.

Badlands
First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not caught up in LA traffic where it’s heavy traffic. Just lights and wait times otherwise driving slowly with light to moderate accelerations with the intent to get good gas mileage. Yes the tires are 235 65R17? Bf Goodrich trail terrains with the higher load rating. I should check the air filter and I run 38-40 psi.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
For the longest time, I would be bothered by the instant milage readout, always trying to do better. On my truck, I bought a device that plugs into the OBD-II port, because it did not have one built into the console.

Then my wife told me how to not be annoyed with the poor mileage; unplug the meter.

Smart lady she is. I'm no longer concerned with its MPG.

I think on the BS, you can change the display.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.