Feint

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
I personally only look at the digital speedo, but I appreciate the presence of the analog speedo for aesthetic purposes. Sometimes I turn off lane keep assist so the digital speedo takes up the whole middle part of my dash so it's just an easy quick glance to see my speed.

I'm the same with my watches. I have a watch where you can change the face to anything. And though I like the way the analog watches look, they are just too slow for me day to day when I'm looking at my watch 100/day. So I have a digital face. But I like having the option on the weekends.

I also grew up with analog gauges and prefer them for tach and other readouts. But having a digital component that gives me way more info scratches another itch for me.

Thanks all for swimming in the poll. šŸŠā€ā™‚ļø
Sponsored

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
As my wife said, hard to say you don't know how fast you were going when you have a large number in front of you.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Iā€™m with @Bucko on this. You got used to seeing the position of the gauges and didnā€™t have to ā€œreadā€ the number. I have no issues with either but prefer analog.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Iā€™m just treating this thread like I do all of the others. Iā€™m just waiting for @Mark S. to come in here and tell me whatā€™s right and then Iā€™ll do that. :fistbump:

edit: he did not disappoint! See post #25

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Iā€™m just treating this thread like I do all of the others. Iā€™m just waiting for @Mark S. to come in here and tell me whatā€™s right and then Iā€™ll do that. :fistbump:
Speedometers? We don't need no stinkin' speedometers!

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
Members get out there and vote! Letā€™s decide this for future generations! No fence sitting on this one.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Ok, you asked for it. All the human factors studies I've read that measure the relative effectiveness of analog vs digital gauges say the same thing: that the display format should be based on the task. Users performing tasks that require knowledge of a specific quantitative value perform better when the data is presented in a digital format. When performing tasks that require the user confirm a value lies within a range, analog gauges work best because they allow "at a glance" confirmation by the user.

Based on this, engine gauges (oil pressure, coolant temp, etc.) should all be analog. A quick scan of the gauges makes it easy to find a needle not in the normal range. The speedometer should be digital, because there is no "normal range," and the driver needs immediate access to the data. The analog speedometer requires the user to find the needle, then interpolate its position between numbers to determine precise speed, whereas you know immediately and precisely your speed with a digital display.

Based on this, I voted "I don't care."

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Ok, you asked for it. All the human factors studies I've read that measure the relative effectiveness of analog vs digital gauges say the same thing: that the display format should be based on the task. Users performing tasks that require knowledge of a specific quantitative value perform better when the data is presented in a digital format. When performing tasks that require the user confirm a value lies within a range, analog gauges work best because they allow "at a glance" confirmation by the user.

Based on this, engine gauges (oil pressure, coolant temp, etc.) should all be analog. A quick scan of the gauges makes it easy to find a needle not in the normal range. The speedometer should be digital, because there is no "normal range," and the driver needs immediate access to the data. The analog speedometer requires the user to find the needle, then interpolate its position between numbers to determine precise speed, whereas you know immediately and precisely your speed with a digital display.

As always I followed your advice and put masking tape over the speedometer. I tried to explain this to the nice officer who pulled me over. He seemed dubious at first but when I told him that I was following the directions from Mark S. on the Bronco Sport Forum, he apologized for stopping me and sent me on my way. He did suggest I seek counseling.

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL

I never took you for being indecisive. Fence sitting is a lazy day.

DahliaDarlin'

Outer Banks
First Name
Lise
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2005 Honda Civic
If I could have a wish it would be for as much non-electronic critical gauges as possible. Temp, fuel, speed, tach. There was beauty in the simplicity. In reality world though, redundancy never hurts. Both please.

Rawah652

Badlands
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport, 2004 Ford Thunderbird
I don't mind either for the speed. Analog is nice for the quick glance, and digital is good so I know what speed range my ticket is going to be in.šŸ˜‡

The gauges I truly do hate are the chicklets for the fuel and coolant temp. Give me the option for analog there please!!
Sponsored