GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Anyone notice that the gloss black plastic on the pillars between the windows scratches super easy?
Maybe its been like that on all my older cars and I just didn't notice. Here in NH there a lot of small tree limbs that hang into the trails. One trip did a good amount of visual damage. Big mistake.
Need a good polish to clean it up.
And looking into some clear vinal adhesive to cover. I have no idea how that will turn out.
Sponsored

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Black is touchy already and gloss piano black is just crazy. My wrap guy told me if you add PPF after getting some swirls it will mostly hide them. I've seen that work on hoods so I believe him. Quoted me $50 for both C pillars or $350 for all the pillars which may or may not translate to your area. The only other option would be to pull and paint it. Maybe you can bedliner spray it!

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
Anyone notice that the gloss black plastic on the pillars between the windows scratches super easy?
Maybe its been like that on all my older cars and I just didn't notice. Here in NH there a lot of small tree limbs that hang into the trails. One trip did a good amount of visual damage. Big mistake.
And looking into some clear vinal adhesive to cover. I have no idea how that will turn out.
PPF Pre-cut Kit for Bronco Sport Badlands...... Paint Protection Film

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
See my post on the same issue.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Starting to think C-pillar plastic trim was a poor design choice for an 'adventure' vehicle like the Sport.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GoatsyBanks

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Black is touchy already and gloss piano black is just crazy. My wrap guy told me if you add PPF after getting some swirls it will mostly hide them. I've seen that work on hoods so I believe him. Quoted me $50 for both C pillars or $350 for all the pillars which may or may not translate to your area. The only other option would be to pull and paint it. Maybe you can bedliner spray it!
I'm sure I'll feel stupid when you tell me but what is PPF?

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands

BabyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Holy crap are you ever right. That's the first thing I noticed, and I'm not at all surprised that there was a thread about this. We just got our Bronco on Friday, and as soon as we got home, we wanted to disinfect the touch panel because the lady at the dealership was showing us how to use it. We wiped it with a damp microfiber cloth and it seemed to scratch. No... That couldn't be... so we wiped more in bigger strokes... more scratches... WTF??? Anything you touch this stuff with, it scratches! What a terrible material to use!! I am not impressed whatsoever.

Is there any plastic restore stuff we can use to fix it, or do we just need to get a 3M-type film over top?

We'll definitely be complaining about this to Ford.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
I got busy and didn't have a chance to PPF the piano black trim on mine after I got it detailed....swirls galore are back, and I only hand wash my BS and are extra gentle on the black trim.

I'm deciding whether or not I want to polish all that trim again and PPF it or just get some matte black film and wrap the piano black pieces in that.

SilverVVolf

Badlands
First Name
Rad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I'm a tad ashamed to say that I noticed it the first day I took it home from the dealership. Already had scuffing from the factory. But, I knew they'd get worse over time because they are sooooo fragile. It's really all in all a poor design choice to use such a wimpy plastic for the outside of an off-road vehicle. If Hyperdip was a more permanent solution, I would have just done that over the weekend when I did my rear badges. Now I'll be looking into some kind of matte black liner for all those shiny plastic pillar pieces. Like what some dudes do to their trucks all over.

Like this. Took this pic a few weeks ago of my coworkers truck.

Ford Bronco Sport Plastic scratches easy 20210514_084433

Ford Bronco Sport Plastic scratches easy 20210514_084430

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
I'm a tad ashamed to say that I noticed it the first day I took it home from the dealership. Already had scuffing from the factory. But, I knew they'd get worse over time because they are sooooo fragile. It's really all in all a poor design choice to use such a wimpy plastic for the outside of an off-road vehicle. If Hyperdip was a more permanent solution, I would have just done that over the weekend when I did my rear badges. Now I'll be looking into some kind of matte black liner for all those shiny plastic pillar pieces. Like what some dudes do to their trucks all over.

Like this. Took this pic a few weeks ago of my coworkers truck.

Ford Bronco Sport Plastic scratches easy 20210514_084433

Ford Bronco Sport Plastic scratches easy 20210514_084430
Did he paint the truck with spray-in bedliner?

Tawnygal

First Edition
First Name
TK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tonyadoughty.net
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport FE, 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Holy crap are you ever right. That's the first thing I noticed, and I'm not at all surprised that there was a thread about this. We just got our Bronco on Friday, and as soon as we got home, we wanted to disinfect the touch panel because the lady at the dealership was showing us how to use it. We wiped it with a damp microfiber cloth and it seemed to scratch. No... That couldn't be... so we wiped more in bigger strokes... more scratches... WTF??? Anything you touch this stuff with, it scratches! What a terrible material to use!! I am not impressed whatsoever.

Is there any plastic restore stuff we can use to fix it, or do we just need to get a 3M-type film over top?

We'll definitely be complaining about this to Ford.
We were driving on gravel roads that are covered with crushed calcium carbonate instead of gravel, which isn't uncommon in areas of north central washington. On the way home, we stopped and had the Bronco washed. The areas where the calcium dust (it's white) had collected in the rim around the windows, when wet from the wash, splattered white spots and streaks across that glossy black plastic. It came off everywhere else but would NOT wipe off on the plastic. My husband, thinking a sponge would help, tried to clean it off. Entire panel now has scratches AND the dried white calcium spots. He used the "safe" sponges meant not to scratch anything delicate. That same trip we got a huge windshield crack it it (which, of course, still can't be repaired because Ford isn't shipping windshields yet...) I hadn't even made a payment on it yet and she already looks rode hard and put away wet. :(
Sponsored