First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Don't discount the better 4WD features in the Badlands. That's why we held out. If we were going to go this route, we wanted the most capable available.
Badlands has locking clutches in rear axle, off road suspension, factory lift, factory bash plates, bigger more powerful engine. Its a lot of stuff you can't see. Some don't care about those things and would rather have the Outer Banks cause better fit for them. For me Badlands was real easy quick decision.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
My base BL has heated seats. At the end of the day, the bigger motor was the single best and most noticeable upgrade for the vehicle. Almost everything else was aesthetic whereas having more power is functional across almost every use case. $500 extra for the better motor was a no brainer.
More horsepower does not mean better. Maybe better gas mileage qualifies as better.......

Rojo13

Outer Banks
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, GMC Acadia
One difference I am getting may be that Badlands owners are "salty"! :) :) Just kidding. Don't yell at me.

I got the Outer Banks because I knew I would not be doing a lot of Off Road or high performance driving, and love leather and some creature comforts. And...most importantly...was the only trim higher than base that the dealer had!!

LengthyDicta

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Well in that case ,any of the BS's will be fine . All those other things don't mean a thing unless your use is different .
Except that the motor is the operative part that facilitates driving, in any condition, and the 2.0 is a much better motor for that purpose. It's also the only option you can't really supplement with aftermarket improvements. The 1.5 does move the vehicle, it's just quite underpowered for the size and shape of the SUV, so solving that problem for just $500 is the best money you can spend on options. I actually couldn't believe the price difference was so small.

LengthyDicta

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I couldn't believe the price difference was so low when you take all those features into consideration. I understand people who couldn't find a Badlands but still wanted to get the next best thing that was available, but choosing a lower trim otherwise doesn't make any sense to me. At that point it seems like an Escape or something even cheaper would make more sense.

Verhalnez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport BadLands
I got to drive the 1.5 before the 2.0. Super impressed with the 2.0. nothing against the 1.5 but after driving around in the 2.0 for 20 min I knew I was going to get the Badlands. I have had it for about 2 months and 1600 miles, and I can say I am very happy with my choice.

CobraPat

Badlands
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I got to drive the 1.5 before the 2.0. Super impressed with the 2.0. nothing against the 1.5 but after driving around in the 2.0 for 20 min I knew I was going to get the Badlands. I have had it for about 2 months and 1600 miles, and I can say I am very happy with my choice.
Same here.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
If Ford didn't offer the 2.0 I would not be buying a BS period end of story. Been looking around for a couple years now for something with more power then my '14 CRV. Then the BS appears with 2.0 turbo and me and the wife were like yeah that works for us.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
The Badlands is more capable off-road for all of the reasons mentioned in previous posts. The Outer Banks is plusher and has a few features not found on other trim levels.

As far as engines, go, if you crave power the 2.0 is your guy. If enough power is OK, and economy is in the mix, then the 1.5 will likely suffice, as many owner on this forum have testified.

I don't think the power makes or breaks the fun to drive aspect of this vehicle for me. My driving enjoyment is not about power, rather engagement. I had a 2016 CX-5 (six-speed manual) with a 2.0L that was tons more fun to drive than my wife's 2020 CX-5 2.5L (automatic). I will never see another new compact SUV with a manual so I am past that.

So, I opted for the OB, and while I would have preferred a naturally-aspirated engine like the 2.5L in my wife's CX-5, I'll try my luck with the 1.5L 3-cylinder turbo, provided it ever gets built.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Except that the motor is the operative part that facilitates driving, in any condition, and the 2.0 is a much better motor for that purpose. It's also the only option you can't really supplement with aftermarket improvements. The 1.5 does move the vehicle, it's just quite underpowered for the size and shape of the SUV, so solving that problem for just $500 is the best money you can spend on options. I actually couldn't believe the price difference was so small.
Thats your opinion. I picked up the BS OB from a dealer 2 1/2 hours away , drove it home at 7 at night through the I4 Corridor here in Florida & if you don't know that area , it goes right past Disney world , its about the craziest place to drive down here . The 1.5 had no problem keeping up or surpassing anything I needed to get home , deep loose sand on the beach was no problem & I was high centering most of it & thats with the AS tires , so under powered to you, is not the same to me , its just someones opinion .

Sure If I was rock crawling or hill climbing , I may want more power , then again , I might just take my Super Duty with its 6.2 LT V8 .

HungLo

Outer Banks
First Name
Siu
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Tesla Model 3
I thought the Base BL didn't have heated seats. I thought you needed the BL/BL package for heated seats. hmmm.
Does the Base BL without BL package have powered seats or manual?

fdes

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I thought the Base BL didn't have heated seats. I thought you needed the BL/BL package for heated seats. hmmm.
Does the Base BL without BL package have powered seats or manual?
Base BL has heated seats and powered drivers seat. The passenger seat is manual.
Sponsored