Stitch50

Base
First Name
AK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport / Ram 1500
New to the forum and curious about the 1.5L turbo. I've had the 2.0L in a 2017 Escape and know that it is more than adequate power for a Bronco Sport. I'm interested in feedback from 1.5L owners about their experiences. I am leaning toward an Outer Banks with 235s on factory wheels. I don't do any off-roading. I just like the looks of the Sport as it reminds me of my 2012 Escape and want 4WD for occasional snowy conditions here in STL.
I have the base trim, and like others have said the 1.5 is more impressive than youā€™d think. I travel 70 miles a day all highway, and cruise consistently at 80-90 mph south out issues in normal driving mode. The acceleration is faster in sport mode, and thatā€™s mostly where I keep it, because I do have a lead foot. Iā€™m at just under 7,000 miles on the bronco and am happy with the 1.5.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Heart2

Heart2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew
I came from 5 litre F150 and am really happy with the 1.5 in the bs. More than enough power and double the fuel mileage !!!!!!
Thanks for the reply.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I shopped Outer Banks for a long time. Finding a Badlands to test drive was also difficult but I managed to do it after a month of looking. I immediately knew I needed the 2.0. I do like to come off lights prompt. I don't try to race the other lane, I just don't want to take a mile to go from 0-limit like a lot of drivers will. Speeding around me has become a real issue too. They take all that time to get to the limit, and then most go 11-15 over... and I don't want to go that fast either.

I can't disagree with other replies that say OB has better interior, but that's why I got the Badland package, so mine is just about like OB inside with the advantages of BL on handling and power. Every time I start it, I hit the disable auto stop and dial to Eco. The Eco in the 1.5 totally bogged down on a very slight incline. This 2.0 doesn't notice, doesn't care even on big 6% grade I tried. I'm betting it goes more miles because it works less, but I only have superstition to show for that- ask me about it again in 10 years :cwl:

Dan.Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport outer banks
I have had an OB for about 2months, put 6k on it.

I had and Audi s5 before but needed something bigger, better in the snow and more fuel efficient.

I got all of those things and 9 out of 10 times Iā€™m still first out of the lights, granted if someone wants to race me, Iā€™ll likely lose but Iā€™ve never felt as underpowered as I thought I would when I heard 1.5L

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
TL/DR ā€” sorry for being long winded. 1.5L is fine for most. Recommend the 2.0L if youā€˜re driving mountains or tackling backroads or trails with steep climbs or lots of hills.

I got the opportunity to test drive the Big Bend and a Badlands both on and off road and a bit into the mountains. The 1.5L is definitely capable, but I felt that it fell short in regards to mountain driving, pulling steep grades at highway speeds. It was just lacking where I wanted it to be. This was mainly west of Denver on I-70 and if youā€™re not familiar, itā€™s a climb that goes from 6000ft to 8500ft in a hurry and people love to drive it fast, when traffic allows.

For me, I was getting the Badlands anyway due to features outside of that, but it just made it that much easier to spend the extra knowing the BL was how to get the better engine. And even with that, the BL moves just fine but itā€™s not going to win you any races. Weā€™ve had it for 10 days and have over 1000 miles on it and really like it so far. But itā€™s probably the slowest vehicle I own. Haha...

Driving the 1.5 BB on a trail was just fine. Trail is a strong word, more like in non-maintained crappy dirt road. But some good dips, a washout and a few rocks. I never felt as if it was underpowered in any way.

With our Badlands, we have a good mix of driving conditions, but probably about 60% highway. Getting a fuzz over 25MPG... Started with a full tank and have filled twice, will probably feed it again tomorrow. Not stellar mileage, about what I expected, maybe a bit better, for a car that has the aerodynamic stylings of a brick. The other 2.0L I4 turbo vehicle we own is a 2017 MINI clubman and it gets 26MPG. Itā€™s more aerodynamic and lighter, but is tuned for higher RPM and likes to move quicker.

Seriously though, we really like the Bronco Sport. Drives like a little truck more than other comparable SUVs. Way better than the Jeep Renegade thatā€˜s probably its closest competitor ā€” had one of those for a month as a loaner while another car was in the shop. Bleh...

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Lol. This sounds like some of us that got an OB instead of an BL that are trying to justify it.
No slander intended, me too. I couldn't spend 40k+ for an inch lift and diff lockers. I'm super happy with my OB. The 1.5L is impressive and way more than I expected. Especially after I adjusted my driving to take advantage of it. Won't be towing a 40ft camper with it but that's ok with me. Only thing I want is some A/T tires, and maybe a front skid plate and rocker rails which I might just make myself.
Not like I'm going to Moab or anything, it can do exactly what I need it to.

Coach Rich

Big Bend
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Big Bend and 2017 Toyota Tacoma
Drove them both and for running around and highway the 1.5 is fine. If you want more power for your driving experience the 2.0 is noticeably more for you to play with. I wanted a easier drive for my wife and kids so 1.5 was the decision for us.

OP
OP
Heart2

Heart2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I shopped Outer Banks for a long time. Finding a Badlands to test drive was also difficult but I managed to do it after a month of looking. I immediately knew I needed the 2.0. I do like to come off lights prompt. I don't try to race the other lane, I just don't want to take a mile to go from 0-limit like a lot of drivers will. Speeding around me has become a real issue too. They take all that time to get to the limit, and then most go 11-15 over... and I don't want to go that fast either.

I can't disagree with other replies that say OB has better interior, but that's why I got the Badland package, so mine is just about like OB inside with the advantages of BL on handling and power. Every time I start it, I hit the disable auto stop and dial to Eco. The Eco in the 1.5 totally bogged down on a very slight incline. This 2.0 doesn't notice, doesn't care even on big 6% grade I tried. I'm betting it goes more miles because it works less, but I only have superstition to show for that- ask me about it again in 10 years :cwl:
Thanks for the reply.

Thanks for the reply.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Lol. This sounds like some of us that got an OB instead of an BL that are trying to justify it.
No slander intended, me too. I couldn't spend 40k+ for an inch lift and diff lockers.
:crackup: At the risk of 'justifying' my Badlands, the MSRP is only $500 different between OB and BL. :whew:

I get where you're coming from- I hadn't purchased a new vehicle in almost 20 years, so shopping was a lot of sticker shock. It's all tied up in the modern advances that are built in now.

LengthyDicta

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
For me, the baseline Badlands only cost about $500 more than the Outer Banks. That made it a no-brainer just for the 2.0L alone. The 1.5 wasn't terrible, but the 2.0 was a profound improvement. I understand the supply of the Badlands is pretty limited right now, but if you have the choice, I highly recommend it.

OP
OP
Heart2

Heart2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me, the baseline Badlands only cost about $500 more than the Outer Banks. That made it a no-brainer just for the 2.0L alone. The 1.5 wasn't terrible, but the 2.0 was a profound improvement. I understand the supply of the Badlands is pretty limited right now, but if you have the choice, I highly recommend it.
thanks for the reply. Is your BL black with a gray roof? If so, would you post additional pics or send to me at [email protected]?

LengthyDicta

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
thanks for the reply. Is your BL black with a gray roof? If so, would you post additional pics or send to me at [email protected]?
It is indeed a black BL with the gray roof. I just got it last week so I haven't had a chance to take it out anywhere for glamour shots yet, but here's a side profile shot from when I picked it up at the dealer. I like that the gray on the roof matches the gray in the rims. I ended up blacking out the bronco lettering on the front and rear because I couldn't stand the white. I love how it looks.

Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks vs. Badlands Bronco Side Profile

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I ended up blacking out the bronco lettering on the front and rear because I couldn't stand the white.
Black with black letters. That way you aren't screaming BRONCO to everyone within a mile radius.

JEspey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL; 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
My wife test drove an OB, and both the salesman and I commented that it seemed to have plenty of pickup to get on the interstate. My wife said she thought it strained a little to get up to speed. Plus, we both were uncomfortable in the leather seats. The ride felt a little ā€œtinnyā€ to us.

We later test drove a BL, with the cloth seats, and both of us remarked that it felt much more solid and substantial. Not sure if it was the seats, the engine, the suspension, or what, but after driving the BL it felt like a totally different vehicle than the OB. Weā€™ve had our BL for a month and 1200 miles now and couldnā€™t be happier.

Bigridge83

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport,ā€™18 Ford Fiesta,ā€™92 Ford Explorer
Coming from the 1.5 4cyl in an escape, I was rather impressed with the power with one less cylinder. It has around 700 miles on it and it is already getting better mpg (hand calculated)than the escape did. I think the 8 speed is a good match for the little 3 banger.
Sponsored