On this episode of, "Is this noise normal?"...

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS, 2018 F150, 2014 Focus, 2013 Escape
I want to believe them but I am still not sold that is the issue
If it’s the same noise the rest of us are hearing I’d be a little skeptical as well. Mine is definitely from around the transmission. Probably worth a second opinion. Hopefully some of us who have ours at the dealer now get an answer (the correct one) soon. Point others in right direction.
Sponsored

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
Assuming we're talking about the same noise here, I'm also skeptical the ABS sensor is at fault. Reports are that the noise is most pronounced at low speeds (not all speeds) -- I can only replicate when cruising around a parking lot or neighborhood <25 mph. Why would a faulty ABS sensor only make this sound in those gears and speeds?

Last edited:

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update -
Well it's apparently not the shift cable. They called to inform me the noise is still occurring even with the new cable. I did mention the oil cooler others have perhaps thought was causing the noise. The service writer was not sure but will discuss with the tech. They are also reaching out to Ford directly to see what they think. The tech drove a new BS on the lot and confirmed the noise is "not normal". I'm glad they are still working on it and not just giving it back to me and telling me it's 'normal'
Update - quick weekend update for the thread watchers. Getting a new transmission from Ford. Works for me. No details on what they think could be the problem. Let Ford tear into it and figure it out I guess.

PetariJ

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Update - quick weekend update for the thread watchers. Getting a new transmission from Ford. Works for me. No details on what they think could be the problem. Let Ford tear into it and figure it out I guess.
Wow! What’s the lead time on completing that? Hopefully it’s a fix

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Quick vids of mine
Ya! Can't wait for a follow-up

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow! What’s the lead time on completing that? Hopefully it’s a fix
Hopefully by Monday or Tues next week. Swapping out a tranny isn’t a big job. Much prefer a new trans rather than have them to continue to throw parts at the problem. They will send the core back to Ford to figure out.
From a warranty cost perspective probably cheaper for Ford. Opening up a trans and trying to fix would be more labor intensive plus introduce all kinds of sources of error depending on the techs level of knowledge and experience. Plus Ford gets the core back to analyze then sell as a reman if want.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Hopefully by Monday or Tues next week. Swapping out a tranny isn’t a big job. Much prefer a new trans rather than have them to continue to throw parts at the problem. They will send the core back to Ford to figure out.
From a warranty cost perspective probably cheaper for Ford. Opening up a trans and trying to fix would be more labor intensive plus introduce all kinds of sources of error depending on the techs level of knowledge and experience. Plus Ford gets the core back to analyze then sell as a reman if want.
On my Friends '17 Raptor at 33k miles trans was slipping not shifting well. Dealer rebuilt it and it took like two months to get parts etc. Now 6 months later it not shifting right again. So Ford replacing your trans vs going in and trying to patch it up hopefully that should give a better result.

JohnnyBronco

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I want to believe them but I am still not sold that is the issue as the noise does not occur when applying the brake. I do not know how the mechanics of ABS sensors like that work but it also happens when I am not breaking but coasting and the car downshifts. They just said I can come pick it up and if a recall is issued they will address it then. I am going to ask to talk to someone else when I pick the car up this evening. To make sure they know it does not occur when breaking its when I start going again or downshift.
Agreed. While mine WILL make the noise if I give it some moderate breaking, it happens at the shift, not anytime I'm breaking. I'm not auto hound so I don't know jack about bull, but this doesn't seem right to me.

BSideBootLeg

Big Bend
First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Thanks for the update!
Look forward to hearing this corrected the issue for you some time next week.

My dealer was nice but did not budge on looking into it further. Is this the same type of sound you were hearing ?

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the update!

My dealer was nice but did not budge on looking into it further. Is this the same type of sound you were hearing ?
That is the sound I was hearing. Most noticeable at around 10mph or so at 1500 rpm just like on your video. You need to go to another dealer. Warranty is honored at any Ford dealer. I suppose you could try calling Ford customer service - let them know you’re not getting resolution from your dealer. Worth a shot. We all paid over 30k for a new vehicle with a warranty. Your dealer and/or Ford needs to fix it. When you go to the dealer insist on a ride along with the service writer or tech. Ask to drive a new one on the lot and compare (hopefully not one with same issue). Maybe even show them this thread. Ford has to be aware by now there are few BSs out there with a transmission issue.

run5498

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
That is the sound I was hearing. Most noticeable at around 10mph or so at 1500 rpm just like on your video. You need to go to another dealer. Warranty is honored at any Ford dealer. I suppose you could try calling Ford customer service - let them know you’re not getting resolution from your dealer. Worth a shot. We all paid over 30k for a new vehicle with a warranty. Your dealer and/or Ford needs to fix it. When you go to the dealer insist on a ride along with the service writer or tech. Ask to drive a new one on the lot and compare (hopefully not one with same issue). Maybe even show them this thread. Ford has to be aware by now there are few BSs out there with a transmission issue.
That's wild that your dealer blew you off like that....would def. go to another dealer. And yes, that's the same noise I was experiencing and it's been hands down confirmed by the garage foreman/service writer at my service department that there is a legitimate problem.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
I tried to replicate the noise earlier today -- 1000-1500 rpm, 5-10 mph -- and no luck. Do you know how the service writer replicated in your case? I *know* I've heard the noise @BSideBootLeg posted, but it's weird that it doesn't happen consistently in my case.

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I tried to replicate the noise earlier today -- 1000-1500 rpm, 5-10 mph -- and no luck. Do you know how the service writer replicated in your case? I *know* I've heard the noise @BSideBootLeg posted, but it's weird that it doesn't happen consistently in my case.
For me it was only after warmed up/driven a few miles.

run5498

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Same here--one of the service f
Welp, just a call from my service department...they had replaced the transmission cooler, test drove, only to find that there was no change (engine rattle remained)...they have now confirmed that they've put in paperwork to Ford to replace the transmission all together. Unfortunately on my end, they said this sort of thing can take a while for Ford to approve etc. so I'm looking at 2-3 weeks before I can have my BB back. But on the flip side, glad they're confident they've found a solution and we're finally working towards fixing this properly.

OP
OP
PTown_Bronco

PTown_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Krista
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
Thanks for the update!

Yep, same noise I have. Some days it seems to be more prevalent then others.
Anybody have another noise that happens when it shifts, kind of sounds like electronics clicking? It reminds me of the noises my old computer used to make when it was "thinking". I'm wondering if these are related?
Sponsored