On this episode of, "Is this noise normal?"...

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS, 2018 F150, 2014 Focus, 2013 Escape
I have the same noise at 4,000, had an oil change at 3100, should I take it to the dealer I bought it at or the one i get services at?
If you have a relationship established with the servicing dealer and you have confidence in them that’s where I would lean. Service department and sales are separate entities. The only reason to consider selling dealer is if there were some delivery related issue.

I would encourage anyone with a concern about their BS to have it looked at. These things get documented and submitted to Ford. If enough of them Ford will investigate and issue a TSB or CSP with a fix.
Sponsored

run5498

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I tried to get the noise on video today, you may need to turn up the volume. It sounds much louder in person.... It happens only after I've been driving at a higher rate of speed for a while, and then slow down and drive around a parking lot (for example). It will stop after a bit o

f slow driving and never does it when first starting and driving slow. I can't hear it outside the car, only inside so far, like it's right behind the driver side dash. So, whaddya think, is this noise normal?

run5498

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I've been getting the same noise in my Big Bend as well--I thought to give the vehicle some break in time, hoping it would go away, but it hasn't gotten any better and remains the same (almost 400 mi now) Looking to get this checked out asap as I've driven a lot of SUVs and never have heard this sound before. Anyone else gotten any answers/fixes from dealerships?? I'm totally second guessing my decision on purchasing this now unfortunately.

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
Watching that video and trying to identify the noise, I personally couldn't tell what's what.

BSideBootLeg

Big Bend
First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Same thing happening here.
Just got my BS on Thursday and I am experiencing the same exact thing. Only 390miles at this point.

To my untrained ear it sounds like electronics in the dash/ steering column?

Following this thread to see if anyone gets an answer or has direction on how to best describe the issue to the dealership.

OP
OP
PTown_Bronco

PTown_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Krista
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
I've got an appointment at the dealer on May 21st to have them listen to the noise. I'm hoping I can get it to happen because it's getting less regular/predictable as time goes on. I don't really hold much hope they'll be able to dx it there, but rather report it to Ford and see if I can get some sort of answer from them.

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was doing some investigating out in the garage. I had my wife hold the BS at around 1500 rpm in park - the point the noise is often heard. It’s not coming from the behind the dash inside vehicle. It’s underneath around the transmission area. There’s not much insulation around the front fender so that’s what’s giving the impression it’s coming from behind the dash. Nothing on the topside of the engine compartment I could hear. Does not appears to be related to heat shield around the exhaust.

I didn’t go as far as removing the fiberboard splash shields as I have a service appointment on Friday. Hopefully this helps point them in the right direction.

About 1500 miles on it now and can’t say the noise is better or worse. About the same as it always has been.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Not sure if mine is exactly the same but I'll share.
Same location. Sounds like air that is stuck in a valve or fluid line.
After 1700 mi its better than it was but still happens "around" 2-3rd gear, low rpm, up and down shift. The harder I drive or take it off road, will make it a little worse.

I'm leaning towards transmission...

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm leaning towards transmission...
It only does it after it's been warmed up which tells me the transmission is pressurized/enough vacuum has been built up in the system. Yeah - leads one towards something tranny related. If I go 10mph and hold 1500 rpm it's the most noticeable - first gear. Does same if I run in L (=1st gear) - although I can push rpms and speed higher and still hear the noise. Once shifts to 2nd in D noise is gone or greatly diminished. The other time it's noticed is downshifting from around 3-4 gear. Road noise and engine noise might be masking some of it. Not noticed quite as much with upshift. Again engine noise maybe masking it. In Park will make the noise @1500 rpm although maybe not as loud as when in gear. Tried all GOAT modes(aka 'drive' modes) and still does same.
Vacuum issue? Solenoid not functioning properly? Needs to be reprogrammed? I haven't scanned to see if any DTCs get pulled. I don't want to mess with it too much until the dealer has a chance to take a look. We'll what they say.

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update -
At the service dept. Went for a drive with service writer. He agrees the noise is “not normal” and driving it more / waiting is not the answer. They are admitting the patient and will need to keep it over weekend. May not have an answer today. I’ll try to update if hear something. Hopefully this will be helpful to others.

BSideBootLeg

Big Bend
First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Update -
At the service dept. Went for a drive with service writer. He agrees the noise is “not normal” and driving it more / waiting is not the answer. They are admitting the patient and will need to keep it over weekend. May not have an answer today. I’ll try to update if hear something. Hopefully this will be helpful to others.
Thanks for keeping the thread updated!

run5498

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hi, so my dealership service department just got back to me--they also confirmed the engine rattles/whirring noises are not normal. They suspect it's something to do with the transmission oil cooler--the noises are just outside of the transmission. Service department said they need more time with the vehicle to figure things out. With that--I advise anyone that is hearing abnormal or bothersome engine noises--to take it back to Ford immediately to have it looked at.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
At 4750 miles my Base model is deathly silent. No noises of any kind.
I'd assume these are the growing pains of a new model.
Ford compiles these report, they do not make profit doing warranty fixes and will work hard to minimize these kind of things in future production runs.
Basically we are the final QC checkers.

BSideBootLeg

Big Bend
First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Took mine in this morning the dealership asked that I bring it back during the week. Ill be dropping it off Tuesday morning.

They did say that they checked the official Ford Service Technician database and only found one matching issue that has been reported so far. And they stated the reported issue was described as being related to turning.

Video of my issue attached. You will hear it at low RPMS both during and after turns. I could see how someone would report it as being turn related.

Attachments

Last edited:

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update - they think it’s the shift ca
Update -
Update -
They think they have the problem isolated to the shift cable. Makes sense based on the sound. Had to order parts. Hopefully have them by tomorrow. If that’s what the problem is then not a serious issue.
Sponsored