On this episode of, "Is this noise normal?"...

OP
OP
PTown_Bronco

PTown_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Krista
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
Update - they think it’s the shift ca

Update -
They think they have the problem isolated to the shift cable. Makes sense based on the sound. Had to order parts. Hopefully have them by tomorrow. If that’s what the problem is then not a serious issue.
Thanks for the update! Keep us posted on if that resolves it! I have an appointment next Friday, so it would be great to point them in the right direction from the beginning.
Sponsored

run5498

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Update -
They think they have the problem isolated to the shift cable. Makes sense based on the sound. Had to order parts. Hopefully have them by tomorrow. If that’s what the problem is then not a serious issue.
I just left a message with my Ford service department regarding this shift cable diagnosis as they updated me today saying they were pretty convinced that my problem has something to do with the transmission. I may or may not have the same problem, but thanks for the update!

run5498

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I just left a message with my Ford service department regarding this shift cable diagnosis as they updated me today saying they were pretty convinced that my problem has something to do with the transmission. I may or may not have the same problem, but thanks for the update!
Ah nevermind, they just called me back and said my problem is apparently different (even though the videos in this thread with this engine noise sounds the same as my engine noise) they confirm that I need a new oil cooler.

OP
OP
PTown_Bronco

PTown_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Krista
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
Ah nevermind, they just called me back and said my problem is apparently different (even though the videos in this thread with this engine noise sounds the same as my engine noise) they confirm that I need a new oil cooler.
Thanks for updating also, I'll have them check both on mine.

AxKnight

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Same noise at low speeds, usually during coasting downshifts just before coming to a stop. Definitely just started making this noise in the last 24 hours and was not doing it before. I have 500 miles on mine and it just doesn’t sound like a healthy noise. Almost a grinding or rattling... I simply won’t accept that the car should naturally produce this under normal operation. Please post any info y’all come across so I can point my dealership in the right direction. Sounds like we’ll just get the runaround until someone figures this out.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
I noticed the 'whine' noise today, happens in low gears between 10-20 mph, e.g., driving through a parking lot or side street. Tap the brake and the noise will stop; go down the street at a constant 12 mph and I can 'hold' the noise.

While it's hard to tell on video -- my phone barely picks it up -- I'm pretty sure it's the same thing @run5498 mentioned in an earlier post.

I'll mention that it could be the oil cooler when I bring it to the dealer this week and update you all based on what they say.

Last edited:

run5498

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I noticed the 'whine' noise today, happens in low gears between 10-20 mph, e.g., driving through a parking lot or side street. Tap the brake and the noise will stop; go down the street at a constant 12 mph and I can 'hold' the noise.

While it's hard to tell on video -- my phone barely picks it up -- I'm pretty sure it's the same thing @run5498 reported earlier in the thread. I'll mention that it could be the oil cooler when I bring it to the dealer this week and update you all based on what they say.
Honestly, have no idea what is the more correct diagnosis (the shift cable as mentioned above or the oil cooler)…unfortunately we’re all going to have to wait and see and let time tell. Let us know how your journey goes…

PetariJ

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Honestly, have no idea what is the more correct diagnosis (the shift cable as mentioned above or the oil cooler)…unfortunately we’re all going to have to wait and see and let time tell. Let us know how your journey goes…
Quick google search of oil cooler sound leads to a bunch of posts about whining sounds and such, but I couldn't find any videos. Maybe it's related. Hopefully they're onto something!

Beav1

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS, 2018 F150, 2014 Focus, 2013 Escape

Update -
Update -
Well it's apparently not the shift cable. They called to inform me the noise is still occurring even with the new cable. I did mention the oil cooler others have perhaps thought was causing the noise. The service writer was not sure but will discuss with the tech. They are also reaching out to Ford directly to see what they think. The tech drove a new BS on the lot and confirmed the noise is "not normal". I'm glad they are still working on it and not just giving it back to me and telling me it's 'normal'

run5498

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Update -
Well it's apparently not the shift cable. They called to inform me the noise is still occurring even with the new cable. I did mention the oil cooler others have perhaps thought was causing the noise. The service writer was not sure but will discuss with the tech. They are also reaching out to Ford directly to see what they think. The tech drove a new BS on the lot and confirmed the noise is "not normal". I'm glad they are still working on it and not just giving it back to me and telling me it's 'normal'
Thanks for the update--yeah, the garage foreman at my Ford said he's pretty sure it's transmission/cooler related. He ordered new parts which should be coming in tomorrow. He also said he was already talking directly with Ford and still running several other diagnostic tests. Maybe will find out more information by Friday--

PetariJ

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm bringing my vehicle in tomorrow morning. I'll pass along what you guys have heard so far. Thanks for posting here!

BSideBootLeg

Big Bend
First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Heard back from my dealership today they are saying the sound is connected to the ABS sensor.
They said that the 2021 Escapes had the same issue and a recall to recalibrate the ABS sensor was issued for the escapes as well. They will log this as the issue with Ford and said if a recall issued they will recalibrate to the needed specifications at that time.

run5498

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Heard back from my dealership today they are saying the sound is connected to the ABS sensor.
They said that the 2021 Escapes had the same issue and a recall to recalibrate the ABS sensor was issued for the escapes as well. They will log this as the issue with Ford and said if a recall issued they will recalibrate to the needed specifications at that time.
They say how long it was going to take to fix?

BSideBootLeg

Big Bend
First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
They say how long it was going to take to fix?
I want to believe them but I am still not sold that is the issue as the noise does not occur when applying the brake. I do not know how the mechanics of ABS sensors like that work but it also happens when I am not breaking but coasting and the car downshifts. They just said I can come pick it up and if a recall is issued they will address it then. I am going to ask to talk to someone else when I pick the car up this evening. To make sure they know it does not occur when breaking its when I start going again or downshift.
Sponsored