On this episode of, "Is this noise normal?"...

alliexnicole

Outer Banks
First Name
Allie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hi everyone! :)

I got my BS in June and have been hearing the rattling/grinding noise as well. I took it in and Ford said I had metal shavings in my transmission fluid so they drained and replaced the fluid. However, that did not fix the issue and I even heard the noise as I was on my way home from picking it up. Called them back and was told to “drive it around and put miles on it then call next week if I still hear it.” I brought it back and had a mechanic drive with me and he heard the noise. They told me it was the rear diff and I need a new rear axle. Still waiting for it to come in to get it fixed but they said my car is safe to drive…
Anyone else hear this? I mean a new rear axle on a brand new car…seems odd…
Sponsored

Rumanchoo

Big Bend
First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I don’t think they know what it is and not sure Ford cares all that much. Despite the noise I still love my BS and have warranty up to 6 years and 72,000 miles. Hope I don’t have to use it on this but seems like no one is really looking heavily into this at Ford.

I got my BS in June and have been hearing the rattling/grinding noise as well. I took it in and Ford said I had metal shavings in my transmission fluid so they drained and replaced the fluid. However, that did not fix the issue and I even heard the noise as I was on my way home from picking it up. Called them back and was told to “drive it around and put miles on it then call next week if I still hear it.” I brought it back and had a mechanic drive with me and he heard the noise. They told me it was the rear diff and I need a new rear axle. Still waiting for it to come in to get it fixed but they said my car is safe to drive…
nk

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL

You gotta do what you think you gotta do. But me, I dread the idea of disassembling a new machine. It's only new and "built right" one time. If they're somehow right about the rear axle... well, it would be the first rear axle I ever heard of that caused a funny sound in the front and metal shavings in the tranny fluid. You can either let Ford keep unbolting stuff 'til they run out of bolts to turn, or just wear it out yourself by driving it. You did your due diligence and took it in. They're the ones telling us the car is OK to drive. They had a chance to do the repair when it was a small problem and turned it down. So if the transmission grenades, that's on them. Like Rumanchoo, I have a very, very long warranty. So either the hassle of it now, or potential hassle later. I like the odds, because I don't see a lot of people saying they had an issue beyond the noise.

I'm still waiting to see the service bulletin promised "in August" from a few pages back in this thread. I haven't put a bunch of miles on it but I think the sound is still there. Scheduling service is a complete nightmare right now. All the dealerships seem to be way backed up on appointments and no parts seem to be available either. Even if you really need it resolved, I'd try to wait it out for things to improve. Maybe Ford will even produce the promised information to actually pinpoint and fix the issue.

JohnnyBronco

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I caught some decent audio on the second (more frequent) noise I've been having. The initial grinding/clicking I would hear often when downshifting, while still occurs after getting hot, has become infrequent. This second noise, this thwapping sound which I also get around 1500rpms, usually 20-25mph, has become more frequent. I clipped a mic in th neutral cable compartment under th steering wheel. It picks up nowhere near as loud as what we can hear in the cabin, but it picked up. This might very well be the shift/neutral cable, but I have no idea. I'm uploading the video to YouTube right now, but it's going slow. I'll post the link when it finishes, but :47 second and 1:37 marks are where it's most prominent.

NashBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Is anyone here in the DC area and had a good experience at any of the dealers in the area? My Big Bend is nearing 1000 miles, and I've had this issue since the week I bought it a few months back. Finally have some time to take it in and not sure which dealer to take it to.

rjracer

Base
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Silverado trail Boss
Yeah bro that sounds like the cable issue i had. Once they tighten that down you’ll be good to go.
just took mine in Monday for trans noise. they said without a CEL there is nothing they can do. just drive it they told me...you have a warranty.

Kq100

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
WE had the shift cable replaced on our BL/BL (it was under a (TSA) from Ford), so far the low speed growl is gone. We only have a few miles on it since it was replaced but keeping fingers crossed.

Kq100

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Can you give us the TSA number or name?
SSM 49901NHTSA
Number:10198650TSB
Date:June 22, 2021Date Added to File:July 1, 2021Failing Component:power TrainSummary:Some 2021 bronco sport vehicles may exhibit a hiss or rattle noise while driving. This may be due to an internal issue with the manual park release cable. Disconnect the cable from the transmission and road-test the vehicle. If the noise is

JohnnyBronco

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
SSM 49901NHTSA
Number:10198650TSB
Date:June 22, 2021Date Added to File:July 1, 2021Failing Component:power TrainSummary:Some 2021 bronco sport vehicles may exhibit a hiss or rattle noise while driving. This may be due to an internal issue with the manual park release cable. Disconnect the cable from the transmission and road-test the vehicle. If the noise is
Added back almost three months ago... This is very disappointing seeing as how many of us have been waiting for our dealers to contact us with updates... And it's been here all along.

wolfe1971

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I did pay for an extended warranty because I really liked everything about my BB but wasn’t super confident with the 3cyl and the fact it’s the first year out. I’m not freaking out over the noise though. It bothers me but I really like my BB and so I’m enjoying it and hoping that Ford steps up with a resolution for everyone. A resolution that doesn’t have us in a loaner or trying to get a rental for several weeks.
My situation exactly. Picked up my Bronco Sport Outer Banks on 9/25 and have this issue. Hoping they get it figured out soon.

IO_Engineer

Big Bend
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport and ford mustand
That's exactly what my wife's BS big bend 1.5 does.....sound like rod knock every time you let off the gas going from 40-25. I thought maybe it's the sound when the cylinder is cutting out for fuel efficiency. for $30,000 it's unerving and doesn't make me think the vehicle will last over 100,000 miles.

They won't admit or don't know. Whats going on. They probably don't care cause they are selling so fast.
Sponsored