Oil Consumption issues on Ford Bronco Sport Badlands, 2.0, 4 Cylinder Turbo

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I go through Oil every 1,500 miles, and my Bronco Sport Badlands has just over 22,000 miles. My dealer told me this is not a common problem with my engine or with the Bronco Sport Badland in general. They thought it was just a bad valve cap, so they replaced it, and they thought it was fixed, but I just got the same issue after driving another 1,500 miles after getting a low oil pressure warning light. I immediately went to my dealer and will drop it off tomorrow because it is when my dealers can get me a loaner car. I am curious if anyone has had the same issue, and if so, how did they fix it
Sponsored

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
First I've read about this particular problem. Of course, every time I see posts like this (regardless of make/model/engine), the dealer will say "this is totally normal" since it's not using a quart in less than 1,000 miles (which is total BS IMO). Cheers!

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
It’s not common and you may want to elevate the issue with Ford to have an engineer provide an accurate explanation or solution.

Start by calling Ford Customer Service and have a case opened, after that you most likely are going to need to call more times to elevate the issue when things seem to stall.
+1 (866) 436-7332

Jumbo1953

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
28,000 miles on a 2021 BSBL with no oil loss.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
No oil loss here. Seems abnormal to me despite what your dealer claims.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
How much oil (a quart? More?) do you think is lost every 1500 miles?
If the oil pressure light is coming on, it’s more than 1 quart.

Note to the OP: you should not be waiting for the oil pressure light to come on. When that light comes on, you are probably getting damage in the engine. Check your oil level regularly until you are confident there is no more leakage.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My Badlands at 29k miles isnt consuming oil, I've been using Motorcraft 5w 30 synthetic blend oil and Motorcraft oil filters. Hopefully Ford doesn't comeback and say the oil consumption you are witnessing is within spec as other manufactures have, for example GM says 1 quart in 2000 miles can be considered as normal.

It should still be under warranty and if its been serviced per the owners manual and the oil life monitor the dealer should find the cause and fix it.

Unfortunately you've run your Sport until the low oil pressure warning popped up. For a number of vehicles by the time the oil pressure light comes on the damage may have already been done and Ford could say you caused the issue.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
I also found it baffling that some auto manufacturers stated not to "top off" oil between oil changes.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I also found it baffling that some auto manufacturers stated not to "top off" oil between oil changes.
I just happened to come across that language in our manual yesterday. It says:

Ford Bronco Sport Oil Consumption issues on Ford Bronco Sport Badlands, 2.0, 4 Cylinder Turbo 1711482287050-yj

My guess is that Ford is thinking that if they instruct owners to "top off" the oil, some will invariably add too much.

Rather than explaining that the difference between 'add' and 'full' is 1 quart (usually the case), so they should estimate the amount accordingly, they figure it's better to tell them to wait until it's at the add line and then "immediately add oil". So, IOW, as the oil level decreases: "It's cool dude." -- "Don't worry about it." -- "Let it ride..." -- FREAK OUT! :cool:

Every dipstick I've ever seen (except our Sprinter diesel which takes 12+ quarts) is marked such that adding 1 quart of oil will bring the level from 'add' to 'full' -- I'm guessing the 1.5L and 2.0L engines are the same, but I don't know that for a fact.

It is odd that the manual says, "immediately add oil" -- NOT "add one (1) quart of oil." Why doesn't Ford specify an amount?
Sponsored