Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
I would personally say, new motors, new oils, engineers spec it out. If your dealer will back up any claims or issues they are correct. The first 3000 I changed my oil, trying to eliminate any metal or break in crud, it was cheap and easy to do, worth the peace of mind to me. I knew a guy who had an OLD chevy. NEVER ONCE changed the oil...ever. If the light came on he dumped in a quart. Never changed it. Eventually parted with the car, gave it to a local for demolition derby. It had a white film inside the pan and the thing won the derby. It couldn't be stopped. Would I suggest that route? NOPE. But do we put a little more into the value of oil changes than necessary? Maybe.
Ive changed my zero turn oil once in 3 years... hahaha i live on 5.5 acres
Sponsored

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Ive changed my zero turn oil once in 3 years... hahaha i live on 5.5 acres
Here's the kicker...I did my due dilligence, changed the oil, air filter, spark plug, gas cap, and fuel filter on my lawn mower. It was running fine prior to the essentials. First cut with fresh everything and a sharp set of blades, made it fifteen minutes...and it choked out. Opened the gas cap, ten minutes went by, fired up, ran for ten more minutes. What a pita. Pulled the bowl on the carb, cleaned the jet, cleaned a spotless carb and bowl because, well I was already there. Replaced the gas cap, again. Put on a NEW gas filter, injected it full of fuel, removed gas lines and scrubbed them out with carb cleaner and pipe cleaners...and it mowed like a champ. Sometimes doing the "right thing" just seems counterproductive I swear. I typically use high octane fuel and add a can of seafoam to every new can of gas...probably why the carb was actually clean.

Huntyeraws

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford BS BB
I'll call local a Walmart and ask.

Twice called and no answer. I'll have to ask in person.
It's been a while since I had to check.
I called one advance auto parts location and they don't take them, however another location (father away) will .

Autozone and O'Reilly are the same way. Call first and make sure.

Two Napa stores assured me they don't and won't take used oil let alone used filters.
They both said they have no way of know if it is contaminated or not.
thesavo - You live in NYS - right? Well in NYS, here is the law regarding DIY disposal of oil and filters and that places that sell oil or repair shops are required to take them in free of charge. I drop my used oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid and filters off at the local Valvoline Oil Change shop. They take my stuff in and I have a fill out a NYS form with my name, address, date and how much/what I am dropping off.

Household Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY) Used Oil Recycling
New York State law requires numerous service and retail locations to accept used oil from household DIYs (who is otherwise exempt from regulation) for recycling. Under Article 23, Title 23 of the Environmental Conservation Law (ECL) (link leaves DEC's website), any service establishment that sells at least 500 gallons per year of new oil and performs vehicle servicing must accept from the public, at no charge, up to 5 gallons of used oil per person per day. Retailers who don't service vehicles but sell at least 1,000 gallons per year of new oil must either accept used oil from the public, as service establishments do, or contract to have another service or retail establishment accept it on their behalf. Some municipalities in New York State also collect DIY used oil as part of their Household Hazardous Waste Program.

It's against the law to improperly dispose of used oil (e.g., dumping oil on the ground, in the street, down the drain, etc.). Instead of dumping your used oil, take it to a service establishment (quick lube facilities, gas stations, car garages, dealerships or marinas who provide oil changing services) or a retail establishment (big box stores or automotive parts stores that sell significant quantities of new lubricating oil) for recycling. Used motor oils, transmission fluids, hydraulic fluids, and gear oils are all considered used oil and can be recycled.

Make sure to keep your used oil separate from other wastes; don't mix your oil with other petroleum products or wastes like gasoline or diesel. Store the oil in a clean plastic container with a tight fitting lid and make sure to take it to a service or retail establishment for recycling.

While service and retail establishments may temporarily refuse to accept used oil if their used oil tanks are temporarily full, they must make arrangements to have their tanks emptied and inform the household DIY when they can come back to drop off their used oil. Retail establishments that cannot provide used oil collection services, but who are subject to this requirement under the law, must make other arrangements to provide this service elsewhere and have a sign providing information about this alternate location where household DIYs can take their used oil for recycling.

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Here's the kicker...I did my due dilligence, changed the oil, air filter, spark plug, gas cap, and fuel filter on my lawn mower. It was running fine prior to the essentials. First cut with fresh everything and a sharp set of blades, made it fifteen minutes...and it choked out. Opened the gas cap, ten minutes went by, fired up, ran for ten more minutes. What a pita. Pulled the bowl on the carb, cleaned the jet, cleaned a spotless carb and bowl because, well I was already there. Replaced the gas cap, again. Put on a NEW gas filter, injected it full of fuel, removed gas lines and scrubbed them out with carb cleaner and pipe cleaners...and it mowed like a champ. Sometimes doing the "right thing" just seems counterproductive I swear. I typically use high octane fuel and add a can of seafoam to every new can of gas...probably why the carb was actually clean.
There is a co op station kinda near my house that still offers ethanol free... which is nice but usually i just stop wherever and pick up 10 gallons of gas station fuel... but, i always use stabil and run seafoam regularly ... idk how much either does buy it sure seems to help keep me from pulling carbs... as for the oil changes... i guess i should do that ... im really diligent about changing it on vehicles... and mostly not on my mower and boat haha

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
thesavo - You live in NYS - right? Well in NYS, here is the law regarding DIY disposal of oil and filters and that places that sell oil or repair shops are required to take them in free of charge. I drop my used oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid and filters off at the local Valvoline Oil Change shop. They take my stuff in and I have a fill out a NYS form with my name, address, date and how much/what I am dropping off.

Household Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY) Used Oil Recycling
New York State law requires numerous service and retail locations to accept used oil from household DIYs (who is otherwise exempt from regulation) for recycling. Under Article 23, Title 23 of the Environmental Conservation Law (ECL) (link leaves DEC's website), any service establishment that sells at least 500 gallons per year of new oil and performs vehicle servicing must accept from the public, at no charge, up to 5 gallons of used oil per person per day. Retailers who don't service vehicles but sell at least 1,000 gallons per year of new oil must either accept used oil from the public, as service establishments do, or contract to have another service or retail establishment accept it on their behalf. Some municipalities in New York State also collect DIY used oil as part of their Household Hazardous Waste Program.

It's against the law to improperly dispose of used oil (e.g., dumping oil on the ground, in the street, down the drain, etc.). Instead of dumping your used oil, take it to a service establishment (quick lube facilities, gas stations, car garages, dealerships or marinas who provide oil changing services) or a retail establishment (big box stores or automotive parts stores that sell significant quantities of new lubricating oil) for recycling. Used motor oils, transmission fluids, hydraulic fluids, and gear oils are all considered used oil and can be recycled.

Make sure to keep your used oil separate from other wastes; don't mix your oil with other petroleum products or wastes like gasoline or diesel. Store the oil in a clean plastic container with a tight fitting lid and make sure to take it to a service or retail establishment for recycling.

While service and retail establishments may temporarily refuse to accept used oil if their used oil tanks are temporarily full, they must make arrangements to have their tanks emptied and inform the household DIY when they can come back to drop off their used oil. Retail establishments that cannot provide used oil collection services, but who are subject to this requirement under the law, must make other arrangements to provide this service elsewhere and have a sign providing information about this alternate location where household DIYs can take their used oil for recycling.
I know in nys the retails are mandated to take the old oil. But places like Napa are not forced to do because it's easier to take it elsewhere. I found it very interesting that some will recycle the filter. I've never had to fill out a form though.

I always took my used oil to advance auto. Thanks for the code site. That will be handy.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I changed the Oil in the BS today & man was that Factory Filter on there tight , I crushed it getting it off . Its funny , never had a car/truck that you couldn't start the Engine with the Hood up . I used Mobil one Truck/SUV 5-20 full synthetic.

The under carriage sure looks good with both Covers on , has to go faster with them both there , LOL

Thats not oil spot on driveway , its from the A/C condensate .
Ford Bronco Sport Oil Change tempImageCeVKAL

Last edited:

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I changed the Oil in the BS today & man was that Factory Filter on there tight , I crushed it getting it off . Its funny , never had a car/truck that you couldn't start the Engine with the Hood up . I used Mobil one Truck/SUV 5-20 full synthetic.

The under carriage sure looks good with both Covers on , has to go faster with them both there , LOL

Thats not oil spot on dri1veway , its from the A/C condensate .
Ford Bronco Sport Oil Change tempImageCeVKAL
I believe the BL and FE are supposed to only have one. If you look at the replacement parts they offer 3. A driver side and passenger for part-time drive and then one driver side for FTD which I am assuming is the 2.0 engines. ?‍♂ could be wrong but Ford has not mentioned anything. They have "omitted" the engine cover so people are aware as well as the 12v plugs and the addtion of rear washers for all trims for builds after May 2021. Either way the bigger engine will make up for lost aerodynamics ????

Last edited:

KAnoe

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2017 Subaru Crosstrek
2017 Subaru Crosstrek with just over 100K, monthly payment increase $5.00. In Maine.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe the BL and FE are supposed to only have one. If you look at the replacement parts they offer 3. A driver side and passenger for part-time drive and then one driver side for FTD which I am assuming is the 2.0 engines. ?‍♂ could be wrong but Ford has not mentioned anything. They have "omitted" the engine cover so people are aware as well as the 12v plugs and the addtion of rear washers for all trims for builds after May 2021. Either way the bigger engine will make up for lost aerodynamics ????
Wonder why that would be .
Ford Bronco Sport Oil Change BS under body deflectors

DanielFE

First Edition
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport FE
OE filter I'm about to remove for my wife's badlands, 2.0, oe filter

Ford Bronco Sport Oil Change thumbnail
I had this same filter on my FE which got its first oil change at 4k miles over the weekend. I was actually surprised at how small this factory fitted filter is along with the standard FL-910-S filter.

Is there a better non-Ford part from Amsoil or Mobil1 that fits these 2.0 engines ?
Fortunately my factory filter was just able to unscrew by hand...just.
Would be super fast oil change if not for that skid plate.

This is my first time DIY oil change on a DI Turbo motor and, although I am not an expert, my two observations are that the oil was filthy and absolutely full of gasoline.

I generally use Amsoil in my cars but went with Mobil1 this time.

Daniel.

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
I had this same filter on my FE which got its first oil change at 4k miles over the weekend. I was actually surprised at how small this factory fitted filter is along with the standard FL-910-S filter.

Is there a better non-Ford part from Amsoil or Mobil1 that fits these 2.0 engines ?
Fortunately my factory filter was just able to unscrew by hand...just.
Would be super fast oil change if not for that skid plate.

This is my first time DIY oil change on a DI Turbo motor and, although I am not an expert, my two observations are that the oil was filthy and absolutely full of gasoline.

I generally use Amsoil in my cars but went with Mobil1 this time.

Daniel.
Generally, 5k miles is the limit for these DI engines because of the gasoline dilution. If you do a lot of short stints, you will likely have more. The Motorcraft (Ford) Filter is your best bet for quality and price. You can pick up the filters at walmart, and auto stores. The filter you took off for the initial oil change , while put on by Ford, is not related to the motorcraft filter you can buy at the store and dealers and is exclusive to the factory only. I noticed they really wrenched that filter on when I did my initial one as well. Hope that helps.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Our BS has 4800 miles on the clock & I sent a sample to Black Stone for analyses . No gas smell in my Oil .

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Our BS has 4800 miles on the clock & I sent a sample to Black Stone for analyses . No gas smell in my Oil .
The 1.5L will definitely be a little easier on oil with respect to oil dilution because of the combination Port and Direct injection as opposed to the direct only on the 2.0L. If you don't mind, when you get your report back from the analysis can you share it here?

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 1.5L will definitely be a little easier on oil with respect to oil dilution because of the combination Port and Direct injection as opposed to the direct only on the 2.0L. If you don't mind, when you get your report back from the analysis can you share it here?

Of course I will .
Sponsored