BigB'sBrono21

Big Bend
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The online part description and the owner's manual both call for FL-910-S, which I happen to have plenty of because that is what fits my Escape. I used 5-20 full synthetic for the oil. The tools are shown below in the picture. T-30 Torx driver for underbody cover screws (13x), 2 push pins need to be removed too. 16 MM socket for oil pan drain plug and oil filter removal tools. My question is, if the owner's manual and ford parts both recommend the same oil filter (FL-910-S) why was my BB shipped with the little short one in this picture? Has anyone else seen this on theirs? Wondering why it would ship with a different filter (smaller) than what it calls for. 1.5L engine.

Ford Bronco Sport Oil Change IMG_4874

Ford Bronco Sport Oil Change IMG_4875

Ford Bronco Sport Oil Change IMG_4876
Sponsored

retiredguy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BB , 2020 Ecosport, 2017 Escape
The online part description and the owner's manual both call for FL-910-S, which I happen to have plenty of because that is what fits my Escape. I used 5-20 full synthetic for the oil. The tools are shown below in the picture. T-30 Torx driver for underbody cover screws (13x), 2 push pins need to be removed too. 16 MM socket for oil pan drain plug and oil filter removal tools. My question is, if the owner's manual and ford parts both recommend the same oil filter (FL-910-S) why was my BB shipped with the little short one in this picture? Has anyone else seen this on theirs? Wondering why it would ship with a different filter (smaller) than what it calls for. 1.5L engine.

This is very helpful. Thanks for sharing.

CanineChamp

First Edition
First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mork

Your oil needs changed already?

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
U got that filter because It's cheaper, It's adequate, simple.
Ford will service mine,
I will Insist and pay for that larger filter.
I will not change mine early on the first time as I am not looking to get 250,000 plus miles out
of my engine. I'll stick to 5k mile Intervals because of the Turbo and use the blend.
When I make the last payment I'll make this my winter beater and go In and buy the latest and greatest new toy FORD has :,P

Last edited:

broncobuster2550

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something slow
Very odd, that 910S filter is normally put on 2.0L GTDI engines, but the owner's manual does indeed call for that filter on both engines. Not sure where the disconnect is, maybe I can find out.

Did you notice the filter was too close to a coolant hose coming off of the oil cooler housing?

OP
OP
BigB'sBrono21

BigB'sBrono21

Big Bend
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Very odd, that 910S filter is normally put on 2.0L GTDI engines, but the owner's manual does indeed call for that filter on both engines. Not sure where the disconnect is, maybe I can find out.

Did you notice the filter was too close to a coolant hose coming off of the oil cooler housing?
the original filter was not even close, the new one does stick out a little further and the coolant line lays against it. No moving parts, but i plan on monitoring it to see if any wear marks form.

Reactions: ZQ8

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Does the OEM filter have any identifying part numbers that resemble a Ford filter number (e.g FL-nnn)? Is it possible that the OEM filter is a domestic-market product from the country of origin and not available in the U.S.?

I'm just speculating and may be way off, it just doesn't look like a typical Motorcraft filter.

OP
OP
BigB'sBrono21

BigB'sBrono21

Big Bend
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Does the OEM filter have any identifying part numbers that resemble a Ford filter number (e.g FL-nnn)? Is it possible that the OEM filter is a domestic-market product from the country of origin and not available in the U.S.?

I'm just speculating and may be way off, it just doesn't look like a typical Motorcraft filter.
If you zoom in on the picture with the tools, you can see the Ford logo on the original filter. It's a Ford part. I have never seen a manufacturer use parts that, to me, seem inadequate.

Timsvtgen1

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Probably more info that anyone wants, but look HERE and HERE . For years that type of generic looking filter has been on all Fords from the factory. There are lots of theories why that is i.e. it being an indication someone has done a first service. Most likely its just that Ford negotiates a bulk contract globally and they use these. Years ago, they were a slightly cheaper , less robust designed filter than that of the mainstream Motorcraft counterparts, recently it looks like they are similar with the exception of the can size on some engines.

OP
OP
BigB'sBrono21

BigB'sBrono21

Big Bend
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Probably more info that anyone wants, but look HERE and HERE . For years that type of generic looking filter has been on all Fords from the factory. There are lots of theories why that is i.e. it being an indication someone has done a first service. Most likely its just that Ford negotiates a bulk contract globally and they use these. Years ago, they were a slightly cheaper , less robust designed filter than that of the mainstream Motorcraft counterparts, recently it looks like they are similar with the exception of the can size on some engines.
Thanks for the info. My thinking is....filter is obviously ok for the engine, but smaller in size. maybe the 1/4 of a quart of oil, less per vehicle multiplied by the 100s of thousand vehicles produced equals cost savings of "X" per year by going with a smaller filter from the factory.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
If you zoom in on the picture with the tools, you can see the Ford logo on the original filter. It's a Ford part. I have never seen a manufacturer use parts that, to me, seem inadequate.
I never meant to imply that it was inadequate, rather a Ford part not marketed in the US, since it was different than what the manual specified. It has been a while since I purchased a new Ford, but the six or seven I purchased in the 90's through 2006 had recognizable Motorcraft filters that could be purchased retail (FL-400 and FL-910's were common). All of this was pre-Ecoboost and likely before they started using the generic-looking filters described a few posts up.

I once purchased a Ford OEM serpentine belt from Rock Auto that was a Ford part, but it had an odd number. I researched it and found that it was a Ford belt used in Europe with the same spec as the one that I was replacing but with a much different number.

Kokopelli

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport, FJ Cruiser, Yamaha Kodiak
Same type of filter issue with my 2020 Yamaha Kodiak. The current factory filter is a shorter version of the replacements I bought for later..

Bobaloo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford

Brad, have you looked into how easy or hard it will be to replace the air filter and cabin filter yourself when the time comes? I always change my own on my vehicles for far less than a dealer would want, and I do it often so we -and- our vehicles can breathe easier.

Megakatx

Big Bend
First Name
Gerardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Thanks for the info, where is located the oil filter? Any danger close to the ground? Is the larger filter more exposed?
Sponsored