Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
I have almost 18,000 on mine bronco and the noise is getting worse!! It’s so annoying and embarrassing to have a brand new vehicle and have it making such a loud noise!! It sounds to me as if the brakes are engaged or as if I have the e-brake on. Ford has also told me there’s nothing wrong with my brakes. But I disagree because I’ve never had a vehicle do this before! It also didn’t start making the noise when I first got it. I was driving awhile before it started
Hi there Nancy! Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to see how I can assist you with the noise concern you're experiencing with your Bronco.
Sponsored

Andowen

Big Bend
First Name
Tiffany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport & Ford Mustang eco boost
Humidity/dew/moisture.its the metallic pad/disc/rotors making the noise. Happens all the time after a wash or heavy rain. It's just the type of brake components.
Not so sure about that. I live in a super dry climate & it does this. I’m going to have them check my rear brakes. It’s at 8k miles and sounds awful. I’ve owned several fords and this is a first for me ?

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Hi there Nancy! Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to see how I can assist you with the noise concern you're experiencing with your Bronco.
It's crazy how Ford picks and chooses who they reach out for VINs for assistance. Leaving others in the ????‍♂

OP
OP
Sillycill

Sillycill

Base
First Name
Priscilla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco sport
Not so sure about that. I live in a super dry climate & it does this. I’m going to have them check my rear brakes. It’s at 8k miles and sounds awful. I’ve owned several fords and this is a first for me ?
Same. I didnt expect a brand new vehicle to do this. I have around 8k on my Bronc and now the noise is louder. Its annoying and embarrassing lol

rangeline

Badlands
First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Love the car, but we have the same problem - loud, unsafe sounding noise when first backing up after sitting awhile. Attached is a movie with the sound captured.

Attachments

Akenned

Big Bend
First Name
Arley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took my daughters in for her first oil change and for this sound also. The flipping dealer had the gall to tell me the noise is normal because there supervisors makes the same sound WTF. I guess if your new Bronco sport doesn’t make this sound there is something wrong lol. Need everyone to call Ford and make a complaint.

OP
OP
Sillycill

Sillycill

Base
First Name
Priscilla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco sport
I took my daughters in for her first oil change and for this sound also. The flipping dealer had the gall to tell me the noise is normal because there supervisors makes the same sound WTF. I guess if your new Bronco sport doesn’t make this sound there is something wrong lol. Need everyone to call Ford and make a complaint.
Yeah they told me i had to break in my bronc. 10,000 miles later it still does it. My Ford app shows 2 recalls on it so ive got this ship yard horn sound and 2 recalls. Other than that i love my baby bronc lol

tifpwg

Outer Banks
First Name
Tif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Both my wife and I have bronco sports. She’s owned hers for 8 months, me 3 weeks. She’s at 9000 miles, I’m at 400 miles. Both vehicles do it. I live in the northeast, in SE PA just north of Philly. None of my cars were ever this loud or frequent, and neither was her last 2018 explorer. Im starting to think it is a brake pads thing like @ElBronc had stated. Anyone else having similar issues? I know it’s likely not a big deal, but it really does sound like a ship leaving the yard. It’s not your typical morning moisture noise.
Geez, I'm picking up my BS tomorrow... all these different issues is really starting to make me doubt my decision...ugh 🤨
I've never owned a vehicle with any brake issues or really any issues so I'm not going to be a happy camper if the BS becomes an annoyance!!!

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Geez, I'm picking up my BS tomorrow... all these different issues is really starting to make me doubt my decision...ugh 🤨
I've never owned a vehicle with any brake issues or really any issues so I'm not going to be a happy camper if the BS becomes an annoyance!!!
The problems reported here are a very small number of the thousands of units sold.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
There are folks here with legit problems yes. But there are many others with no problems. So far mine has been fine.

If you are concerned about issues look vehicle over and request a long test drive before signing. Thats what I did.

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
As said above, check it out carefully. Take an “extended” test/acceptance drive. My 22 OB built Dec 23, 21 & passing 1700 miles has been great. My only issue was it’s missing the panel under the pax side dash. Dealer has ordered it for me (on back order right now). My fit/finish quality exceeded my expectation. No squeaks/rattles thus far. Squeaky brakes are not end of world. Usually fixed with anti-squeal compound or different brake pad. In any case, a reasonable dealer should fix under warranty.
Go get it & ENJOY. It’s a fun & capable vehicle.
If you really don’t like it, pretty sure you can sell it & get all your money back. (At least right now)

Broncette

Badlands
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My dealer said the sound was not normal and replaced the pads and rotors. A few thousand miles later sounds came back. So even if you fix it, it might not matter. It's embarrassing to be honest.

BigBend

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2021 Ford Escape
I get this sound too, and I have attached a picture of why. Some background: Took delivery of my Big Bend addition in February of 2021. I currently have 37,000 miles on the vehicle. I drive a lot, especially for work, and have also taken the Bronco Sport on various trips around the upper mid-west. Vehicle has been great overall, only real issue up to now is I had a shock that was leaking fluid, dealer replaced the shock no charge. Have the 1.5 3 cylinder engine, change oil regularly, never have had to add any oil between changes.

On to the story of rotor rust. I live in the southeastern Wisconsin, between Milwaukee and Madison. This past Saturday morning, took a drive south to the Illinois border, roughly a 120 mile round trip. There was a mix of snow and rain the whole trip, sort of messy. Got home, parked the Bronco on my driveway about 4pm. Car sat outside overnight, maybe rained a bit, but not much. Did not look at the Bronco Sunday until about 3pm, and saw what you see on the pic below. That pic is the right rear wheel. The left rear wheel was just as bad. The two front rotors were not as bad, but had some rust on them. I have had the grinding-sound issue, has always related to wet weather. When I packed out of the driveway Sunday night, the grinding noise was pretty loud. Took a little bit of driving to wear the the rust off, and when I got home, the rotors were nice and clean. I can't believe though that this is good for the brake pads and the braking system in general. I obviously am going to talk to the dealer about it. We have had some wet weather again this week, and I see rust again on the rotors, not anywhere near this level.

Anyway, pretty sure that is where your grinding sound is coming from.

Ford Bronco Sport Noise while reversing Rotor Rust

OP
OP
Sillycill

Sillycill

Base
First Name
Priscilla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco sport
The problems reported here are a very small number of the thousands of units sold.
Ok but a brand new bronco with less than a 100 miles should not sound like that. Never had a vegicle squeak. And, should be fixed considering you just put down some cash on a brand new vehicle.
My dealer said the sound was not normal and replaced the pads and rotors. A few thousand miles later sounds came back. So even if you fix it, it might not matter. It's embarrassing to be honest.
Agreed. Embarrassing. Loud screeching sounds awesome on anew ride lol

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The noise is an annoyance, not a safety issue, and it's not related to the recall. The recall is not about sub-par brakes, it resulted from certain cars' failure to meet mandated braking performance with a failed brake booster. A failed brake booster is such a remote possibility that neither the NTSB nor Ford believed it necessary to recommend owners stop driving affected vehicles. With a normally functioning brake booster the Bronco Sport's braking performance is at or near best in class when tested by industry journals like Car & Driver and Road & Track.

I know the noise is bothersome for people, and I also believe Ford should do something about it on vehicles inside the bumper-to-bumper warranty period (3yr/36k miles). Ford seems to be hiding behind the clause in the warranty that excludes "wear items" from coverage. It's clear this noise is not caused by worn parts, and I think a sufficiently motivated owner could force the issue.

Due to the supply chain issues, Ford is already having difficulty sourcing brake pads to cover repairs for vehicles affected by the recall. IMHO, Ford is trying to avoid any further stress on the supply chain with a bunch of owners looking for new brake pads to address the noise. If that's the case, however, Ford should just be up front about it rather than telling customers to suck it up.

Those with the means or skills who are not willing to get into a pissing contest with Ford can fix the noise issue themselves relatively inexpensively.
Sponsored