Dominic232

Big Bend
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
What can you tell me about resolution to this issue?
Loud banshee like screeching noise when you back up the vehicle coming from the rear brakes. It’s very embarrassing and my wife wants to return the vehicle. When will there be a recall for this issue to correct it? I complained about this to the Ford dealer we purchased it from and to the Ford dealer that does our maintenance. Neither Ford dealer has a solution. I believed this to be a brake pad vs disc alignment / gap problem (manufacturing), or a poor quality component problem, and/or design problem. The Ford dealer that does my maintenance has acknowledged the REAR brake very loud noise problem when in reverse for Bronco Sport (and said this is also a problem on all the Ford Escape vehicles) but no recalls to correct this noise issue yet. My dealer said it has to do with a harmonic created from bad dampening, so likely a design issue. I see much online about this in Bronco enthusiast groups complaining about the same issue. We’ve been Ford owners and have had multiple Ford vehicles since the early 2000s. This issue and lack of resolution has been very disappointing…very, very, disappointing. The excitement for a Ford Bronco and owning it has vanished.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sillycill

Sillycill

Base
First Name
Priscilla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco sport
What can you tell me about resolution to this issue?
Loud banshee like screeching noise when you back up the vehicle coming from the rear brakes. It’s very embarrassing and my wife wants to return the vehicle. When will there be a recall for this issue to correct it? I complained about this to the Ford dealer we purchased it from and to the Ford dealer that does our maintenance. Neither Ford dealer has a solution. I believed this to be a brake pad vs disc alignment / gap problem (manufacturing), or a poor quality component problem, and/or design problem. The Ford dealer that does my maintenance has acknowledged the REAR brake very loud noise problem when in reverse for Bronco Sport (and said this is also a problem on all the Ford Escape vehicles) but no recalls to correct this noise issue yet. My dealer said it has to do with a harmonic created from bad dampening, so likely a design issue. I see much online about this in Bronco enthusiast groups complaining about the same issue. We’ve been Ford owners and have had multiple Ford vehicles since the early 2000s. This issue and lack of resolution has been very disappointing…very, very, disappointing. The excitement for a Ford Bronco and owning it has vanished.
Totally agree. My annoying ship horn started maybe 1 week after purchase. Thats ridiculous. A brand new vehicle really shouldn't make noises like that. It is embarrassing. They told me i needed to break in my bronco and the noise is a known issue. Im taking it in for an oil change plus the 2 recalls on it. They are going to fix everything before i drive it home thats for damn sure.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I wonder if doing a bed-in cycle would help with this issue? Basically 60-20mph braking repeatedly to get the brakes really hot and then drive for a bit to cool them off.

Akenned

Big Bend
First Name
Arley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update- Finally the dealer said it was not normal and I actually have corporate looking at my daughters. Since it will be in for the recall they are planning on having some other techs besides the dealers to look at it. I talked to another dealearship and the SA showed me an email about the moaning ship horn sound and Ford is well aware of this issue. Fingers crossed they finally get this crap fix not just for my daughter but for the others as well.

Fuzzbear

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, '21 Badlands (RIP), '02 Ranger Edge
Well, I'm a little relieved that I'm not the only one with this issue (it started about a month after I got my 2022), but frustrated that it appears there's pretty much nothing that can be done about it.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Well, I'm a little relieved that I'm not the only one with this issue (it started about a month after I got my 2022), but frustrated that it appears there's pretty much nothing that can be done about it.
There is something that can be done. You can badger your dealer/Ford until they do something (I agree, that this shouldn't be necessary), or you can fix it yourself. The causes of noisy brakes are well known, and the fix is relatively easy.

If you have the skills it shouldn't cost anything more than anti-rattle shims or a few dabs of the appropriate anti-rattle grease and some time. If you don't have the skills it shouldn't cost any more than a brake job. If you have a good relationship with your local shop it should be considerably less. They should know that you likely don't need to replace the pads, you just need to prevent unwanted vibration with a shim or grease.

miominute

Big Bend
First Name
Ruth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I get that everyone is saying humidity and moisture, but never had any other car do this. And it’s so loud and should not be occurring on a brand new car. Mine does it all day, every day. Dealership said they can’t do anything unless Ford was to issue a recall regarding it. Only problem I have with my Bronco, other than I love it!!!

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
I get that everyone is saying humidity and moisture, but never had any other car do this. And it’s so loud and should not be occurring on a brand new car. Mine does it all day, every day. Dealership said they can’t do anything unless Ford was to issue a recall regarding it. Only problem I have with my Bronco, other than I love it!!!
Hello, Ruth! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this noise concern on your Bronco. Thanks!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Take your car to a different dealership. There is a TSB out for this issue.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr

BamBam GT

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Corvette Grand Sport, 2021 Bronco Sport
Bronco Sport Base. 2 months old. Every morning on the 1st start of the day qhile I'm reversing, it makes this noise I can only compare to a horn in a ship yard. After i shift into drive and drive the noise dissapears. Only hapoens during the 1st reversal of the day, cold start. Took itto Ford a month ago and they said it was a known issue and my rear brakes needed breaking in. Ive got 3000 miles in it because Ive been taking weekend trips. Still have the noise. Anyone else? Any ideas?
We have 28,000 miles on our BS and have this noise. Happens due to moisture (I.e., after I wash the car). It sounds like an old car and it is horrendous! Been to the dealer several times and told they couldn’t replicate the noise! 🙄 I saw on this forum where a TSB has been issued. Armed with that I’m taking it back to the dealer for a third time.

Poppamanx4

Outer Banks
First Name
Joebob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Bronco Sport Base. 2 months old. Every morning on the 1st start of the day qhile I'm reversing, it makes this noise I can only compare to a horn in a ship yard. After i shift into drive and drive the noise dissapears. Only hapoens during the 1st reversal of the day, cold start. Took itto Ford a month ago and they said it was a known issue and my rear brakes needed breaking in. Ive got 3000 miles in it because Ive been taking weekend trips. Still have the noise. Anyone else? Any ideas?
We purchased an Outer Banks less than a year ago and it squeals every time we back up. Ford has issued a TSB to install a different caliper bushing and it did nothing. It all comes down to the pads. Ford refuses to replace the pads and they will only use semi-metallic. The rims of the wheels have been covered with brake dust since we purchased the vehicle and I mean bad. I've never seen so much brake dust in my life. I swapped the pads with ceramics - squeal / moan is gone.

I think that it has to do with the design. The calipers are not secured with a bolt. They are only installed on a guide pin and the only way that they are secured is with opposing pressure from the power brakes. I think that this loose assembly allows for more rotor friction and thus more brake dust / weird moan.

AlpharettaOuterBank

Outer Banks
First Name
kdawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer bank
We purchased an Outer Banks less than a year ago and it squeals every time we back up. Ford has issued a TSB to install a different caliper bushing and it did nothing. It all comes down to the pads. Ford refuses to replace the pads and they will only use semi-metallic. The rims of the wheels have been covered with brake dust since we purchased the vehicle and I mean bad. I've never seen so much brake dust in my life. I swapped the pads with ceramics - squeal / moan is gone.

I think that it has to do with the design. The calipers are not secured with a bolt. They are only installed on a guide pin and the only way that they are secured is with opposing pressure from the power brakes. I think that this loose assembly allows for more rotor friction and thus more brake dust / weird moan.
thanks, a long list of todos for me.
Sponsored