Trancos2002

Badlands
First Name
Andres
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Hi. I changed the tires for 245/65 17. Do you think that inflation pressure is correct (29") with the new size?
Ford Bronco Sport New tires, new pressure? 7069FB5D-5738-47A6-A178-09505C53637C
Sponsored

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
No. I would do one of these three and keep in mind cold wether could need a couple extra psi:
- 33 as in the door jam for this vehicle
- 80% of max psi for your tire and never any more
- somewhere between the first two options (this is my personal recommendation)

28 psi is too low unless you are off-roading

endrMinr

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport
The Badlands can come with 235/65r17 and is also spec'ed to 33psi cold.

I have replaced with 235/70r17, and run slightly lower 30psi cold just to make the bumby roads and potholes around town smoother. When Im really offroading I go down to ~25, I dont have beadlocks so I dont go lower. Long interstate trips I go up to 35psi.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
Tire pressure is based on weight of vehicle. That’s why we monitor pressures and not volume

if you want to go up or down within the range of the tire for ride or condition that’s up to you. the recommended pressure is the balance.
Ride, grip, handling, noise, efficiency, vibrations, etc.
If you go up or down you might gain in one column but lose in another.

GulfCoastBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have read and seen things suggesting lower pressure when going with bigger tires. However I also agree with staying within 33-35 the TPMS doesn’t know you have different tires and being at 28 could result in TPMS alerts that aren’t needed.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
What are the tires? What kind? What ply? Etc. that changes things.
I’m running 245/65/17 wildpeaks that are 6 ply and run 32lbs cold. Wear perfect. After 10k. Rotated three times. Just because did lift at 1k miles

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
However I also agree with staying within 33-35 the TPMS doesn’t know you have different tires and being at 28 could result in TPMS alerts that aren’t needed.
I don't believe the system is looking for a specific PSI. I believe it's looking for a difference between tires.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Tire pressure is based on weight of vehicle. That’s why we monitor pressures and not volume
I believe it is based on both weight and volume. The fact that the BS door sill sticker does not change between the offered tire sizes, shows that it is somewhat insensitive. That is also backed up by people being able to run tire pressures in the high 30’s and others in the low 30’s and both are happy and have good tire wear.

Just as an extreme example, look at bicycle tires. A road bike has narrower/lower volume tires and needs a tire pressure of around 90-110 psi. Now move to “townie” bike with a little wider/more volume tire and the pressure needed comes down to 40-60 psi. Move to a Mountain bike and tires are even wider and even more volume and the pressure needs drop to 15-25 psi. Go to a fat bike and the pressures drop to 10-15 psi. All of these are really just changing the volume without changing the weight substantially. The person on the bike is the primary contributor to the weight across all of the examples.

There is a post here somewhere from @Falken QA that does say that with larger tires you could run a lower psi but they shy away from recommending a tire pressure less than what Ford specs. I’m sure that is because they don’t want to accept responsibility if something goes wrong.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
There is a post here somewhere from @Falken QA that does say that with larger tires you could run a lower psi but they shy away from recommending a tire pressure less than what Ford specs. I’m sure that is because they don’t want to accept responsibility if something goes wrong.
Ford "fixed" ride quality issues with some early Explorers by recommending lower tire pressure. So low, in fact, it made the vehicles more prone to rollover.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Ford "fixed" ride quality issues with some early Explorers by recommending lower tire pressure. So low, in fact, it made the vehicles more prone to rollover.
Let’s be clear here, we are only talking about relatively small changes in air pressure. Like maybe 3-5 psi less than the sill sticker for a larger tire. I don’t think that anyone should be running around on the street with 25 psi air pressure (or less). I think about 30 psi would be the least I would say anyone should run in a 245 wide tire on the BS. That is roughly a 10% change which is about the same change as the increase in tire width (10%).

That being said, I have mine set to 33 psi with a 245 tire. Not that I have done any comparative “testing” to find what feels the best.

I really hate things like the door sill stickers that present it as a single number. This leads people to believe it has to be that exact number. As load conditions change or even road surface conditions change, you may want to change the tire pressure. It doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to but you could get better traction or a better ride with a different tire pressure. I think that they should show more of a range of appropriate tire pressures for different conditions.

Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/Ts and I have no idea. I put them at 38 psi, but y'all are making me question that :cwl:

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport

Discount Tire

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Air pressure is unique in so many aspects. You have to have enough to carry the weight of the vehicle but not to much that you create a harsh ride and center wear of the tire. The door placard is what the manufacturer of the vehicle requires for weight.

Rhel

Badlands
First Name
Rögnvaldur
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I have Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/Ts and I have no idea. I put them at 38 psi, but y'all are making me question that :cwl:

Yeah its to much 32-33 psi is good because when you are driving the air pressure decrease , I have 245/70R17 with 33 psi and its go to 39psi while driving .

we also need to think about rubber in the tires some have hard rubber mudder tires some have all terrain tires and some summer tires and its all different from the manufacturer

im driving on BF Goodrich ko2 they are little bit hard tires I was thinking to go to 30-31 psi on them , Bronco sport is also a lightweight car
Sponsored