Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
I think everyone is forgetting about the other skid plates the badlands has, on the fuel tank. They are quite a bit more stout than the engine plate.
Sponsored

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
If you are talking about the felt skid plates, those are just covers. There is a skid plate underneath those felt pieces if I read correctly.
Nothing but the normal belly pan under the random amount of felt fairings. The badlands skid plates are engine and one on each half of the gas tank.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
BL has oil pan/motor, fuel tank, and evap skids. The motor plate can take a good shot.
I’ve said this before.
If you have any model outside of the BL that you take off-road even a little. Grab this skid plate. It’s the most important part that is wide open underneath. I mean look. It’ll be the difference of driving off the trail or trying to get dragged out with no real recovery points.
Ford Bronco Sport New RIVAL Aluminum Skid Plate For Bronco Sport CAB8D259-7E60-421A-B2E2-1C3A8F067D62

Pigpen

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
Just got mine in. Going on tomorrow. Very well-made. All we need now are panels to replace the felt under the drive and passenger doors. Really the evap side.

Ford Bronco Sport New RIVAL Aluminum Skid Plate For Bronco Sport 20221101_163219
Is this going to be easily removed and reinstalled repeatedly, given that there’s no access panel for changing the filter?

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
Is this going to be easily removed and reinstalled repeatedly, given that there’s no access panel for changing the filter?
For me, it's pretty straight forward to remove.

-Remove the side bolts (two on each side)
-Remove the 4 bolts that go through the plastic part of the bumper cover. These thread into the skid plate rivnuts through the holes in the bumper just like the stock felt.
-Loosen, and don't remove the front outside bolts, one on each side.
-Remove the 2 rear bolts behind the engine. You will at this point have to hold up the rear of the skid plate. Then slide the skid plate back to remove.
The front outside bolts always stay in place, the bolt holes on the skid are slotted and keep the front of the skid in place to assist in the removal/installation. It's a little bulky but I installed it on my back with no problems on some race ramps.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
I was originally nixing this because of no oil filter access panel. Then I realized that in the winter (Syracuse, NY) the top side of this panel gets coated with salt, ice, and snow. If I have to take it off to change the filter, I can also pressure wash the salt and dirt residue off. This makes it worth the effort to me.

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
No access to the filter with the factory felt. The tray has to come off either way. Not sure why Rival even has the access panel.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
My $39 Dealer oil change will still be $39 with one of the Rival skid pans.
Per my Ford Dealer.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
BL has oil pan/motor, fuel tank, and evap skids. The motor plate can take a good shot.
I’ve said this before.
If you have any model outside of the BL that you take off-road even a little. Grab this skid plate. It’s the most important part that is wide open underneath. I mean look. It’ll be the difference of driving off the trail or trying to get dragged out with no real recovery points.
Ford Bronco Sport New RIVAL Aluminum Skid Plate For Bronco Sport CAB8D259-7E60-421A-B2E2-1C3A8F067D62
Your tow hook mounting looks different than others i have seen. Why?

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
That’s someone on here who added hooks to an OB or something. Just using it for the oil pan pic

mikldom

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks Edition, Area 51
The existing Felt underbelly cover has a "scoop" under it which directs airflow to the PTU unit. I think ALL BS other than Badlands have air cooled PTU units. (Needs confirmation, but my Outerbanks unit does not have coolant lines going to it). I know this skid plate has a few holes and slots for air flow. I am just looking for opinions on should we be worried about PTU Life? I have been under my 5,000 mile BS and had to do almost a full transmission oil change from the CV Axle coming apart during the Lift install. Doing a PTU oil change is going to be easy peasy with the right tools. So, if we think we are going to "cook" the PTU by the new cover NOT having a "scoop" to direct air flow, you think 30,000 PTU Gear Oil changes is good, or should we go less? BTW, I do all my own maintenance and never trust a snot nosed kid who doesn't care about my truck to touch it (of course, not all dealerships employ snot nosed kids, and other than warranty items, I will never goto dealership).

Pigpen

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
The existing Felt underbelly cover has a "scoop" under it which directs airflow to the PTU unit. I think ALL BS other than Badlands have air cooled PTU units. (Needs confirmation, but my Outerbanks unit does not have coolant lines going to it). I know this skid plate has a few holes and slots for air flow. I am just looking for opinions on should we be worried about PTU Life? I have been under my 5,000 mile BS and had to do almost a full transmission oil change from the CV Axle coming apart during the Lift install. Doing a PTU oil change is going to be easy peasy with the right tools. So, if we think we are going to "cook" the PTU by the new cover NOT having a "scoop" to direct air flow, you think 30,000 PTU Gear Oil changes is good, or should we go less? BTW, I do all my own maintenance and never trust a snot nosed kid who doesn't care about my truck to touch it (of course, not all dealerships employ snot nosed kids, and other than warranty items, I will never goto dealership).
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2021-ford-bronco-sport-overheating-ptu-issue-curbs-the-crossover-s-credibility-157682.html

Blue oval fan

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
They seem to be confused in that article. Yes the ptu is attached to the trans. The article seems to be talking about the rear drive unit with the dual clutch setup (badland only). I know the focus RS guys get rdu overheating during track days from time to time, similar dual clutch setup but slightly overdriven.

That air scoop could be ducting air to the ptu for cooling at speed. Off-roading is usually at much slower speeds. I don't see that duct being very effective at lower speeds.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
They seem to be confused in that article.
Yup.

The Power Transfer Unit, also known as the twin-clutch rear differential that enables AWD whenever needed, is the subassembly that overheated in both scenarios.
Definitely confused.

For what it's worth, the belly pan on the Escape has an air scoop as well. I'm with Nick; I don't think this is meant to cool the PTU during off-road adventures.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.