johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4
Too many moving parts to keep an eye on quality and they donā€™t pester their suppliers to deliver with high quality. Why is it a bigger deal when servers dont function well (oh no twitter/google is broken, cant live anymore baaaahhh!) electronic parts on auto parts seem like ā€œmehā€ situations. :(

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Arrg...

Just when I got the 1967 Camaro bugs all worked out, now I have to worry about the BS.

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
The dip in 4-36 months I agree with @johnardsg.

The dip in initial quality...corresponds perfectly with the pandemic, labor issues, parts shortages, etc... I can't say I'm surprised the whole industry has been bitten.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Although I believe Ford ranks among the lowest (if not the lowest) in quality, it's nice to know that it's not just a Ford problem.
It isnā€™t apparently. Thanks for an interesting read, will check it out after.

I do spend enough time checking out car forums though & for all the flak Ford gets for their product launches & longer term quality, other manufacturers are no better. Brand new ā€˜Japaneseā€™ brand vehicles with failures that weā€™d be embarrassed for in our Fords, heck they sound more like Jeeps. Yeah early production bugs. Yeah the dealer will take care of it. I realize thereā€™s a high potential for bias when your sample is reading forums as we know from here, but still when manufacturers who have a reputation for reliability arenā€™t problem free, then people will really have to have some patience to work with their dealers.

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The dip in 4-36 months I agree with @johnardsg.

The dip in initial quality...corresponds perfectly with the pandemic, labor issues, parts shortages, etc... I can't say I'm surprised the whole industry has been bitten.
As these vehicles become more complex and with the issues mentioned here, it's no wonder the industry as a whole is having more problems.

Hyundai, Kia with their 8 speed DCT transmission problems. Probably a better boat anchor than anything. It's industry wide, just more prevalent with certain brands.

At least were not back to the 1970's, yet.

I'm not a RV owner anymore, but go read some of the RV forums and you'll see what a mess their quality problems are. As an owner you better be handy and knowledgeable on repairs, otherwise you might not see your RV for months while it's at the dealer.

Shortage of parts, lack of RV techs, bad factory quality, etc. etc. Imagine spending $150-200K and your rig is a P.O.S. right from the factory.

I buy a vehicle hoping issues will be minimal, accepting that they probably won't be, and roll with the punches. Since 2013 the 3 Escapes and the BL I have now, have been pretty reliable. Just in case I buy a FACTORY extended warranty to CMA.

bstn rnr

Badlands
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
According to the latest issue of Consumer Reports, Ford actually ranks about the middle of the road.. BMW and Toyota are tops with Jeep and Land Rover being rock bottom.

OP
OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
According to the latest issue of Consumer Reports, Ford actually ranks about the middle of the road.. BMW and Toyota are tops with Jeep and Land Rover being rock bottom.
I believe you were reading the article regarding new owner satisfaction, not reliability.

bstn rnr

Badlands
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I believe you were reading the article regarding new owner satisfaction, not reliability.
Headline says, "Brands that make the best cars" and it's based on the vehicle's scores and survey results.

OP
OP
Mark S.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape

Sunflower

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands 2023, BS Badlands 2023, F150 2013
Iā€™ve had my BS BL 23 for about a month, and received it with 5k miles on it (company car). I had to get brakes replaced all around- day 1. Drove fine for a while until last week. I drove to a parking lot- parked, then decided to go to another parking lot. I tried to start it and it sent every warning signal it had (tire pressure/ collision/ engine temperature/ needs a hug) and would not start. Called the dealership to see if there was a workaround or reboot- they said no. Roadside assistance was sent - tow truck driver was about to pull it onto the flatbed and hit the start without the brake and it reset everything. It then was able to start- drove it home (and to the dealership in the morning). Diagnostic- PCM needs to be replaced (at 6k miles). Weā€™ve had 3 Edges, F150 and a Fusion - no problems like this. Is this a lemon or just another example of the pandemic ā€œripple effect ā€œ?

Last edited:

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
Imagine spending $150-200K and your rig is a P.O.S. right from the factory.
For the first time ever, I've been checking out RV prices and inventory, and I was reading the same. It's pretty much scared me off for the time being.
Sponsored