Ryzen

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 BSBB, 17 FPIS
When I bought my Bronco Sport, I had a hard time finding one with a Cargo Management System on the lot. And the ones that did have it, weren't marked down with enough discounts to make the upgrade worth it. I decided that eventually I'd just spend the money on buying the parts for the CMS, or buying a custom-built utility box from an emergency vehicle upfitting service. Well, after pricing out a CMS upgrade at almost $1,000, and a custom solution running between $3,000 and $6,000, I decided I'd just make my own.

Using scrap wood that I had laying in my basement from a previous project, I jumped in and started throwing some ideas together.

Ford Bronco Sport My Custom-Built Utility Box IMG_9758
Ford Bronco Sport My Custom-Built Utility Box IMG_9756

I started with a box that would fit on the OEM mat. I wanted something that would fit without any other modifications, and something I could easily remove for the times that I needed to haul something larger. The corners are 2x4's, and the top and bottom are 3/4" sanded plywood.

With the rear hatch closed and the glass open, I now have a flat surface, similar to what I could have had with the Cargo Management System. I figure the important "need to grab quickly" items would sit up top, and the "I'll use these things when I'm not in a hurry" items in the bottom.

Ford Bronco Sport My Custom-Built Utility Box IMG_9766
Ford Bronco Sport My Custom-Built Utility Box IMG_9770

I originally was going to just separate it down the middle, but figured I could add a divider instead to break up the space a bit. The divider was made using some sanded pine boards, then I used some leftover sanded plywood to make each compartment closed off.

Ford Bronco Sport My Custom-Built Utility Box IMG_9780

I decided "why not make another shelf!" and added a small shelf to the center of the box. Not only did this provided extra divided storage, but it really provided some extra support to the overall frame.

Ford Bronco Sport My Custom-Built Utility Box IMG_9805
Ford Bronco Sport My Custom-Built Utility Box IMG_9811

And here is how it currently sits. It's not completely done, but it's working as intended. I ended up painting the entire box, inside and out, with Behr Premium black paint. I decided the paint alone wasn't great, so I went back to Home Depot and I got some cheap cut-to-order carpet that really made a difference (and kept everything from sliding around). The sides, and bottom of every compartment are completely carpet-lined, leaving the top and rear black in each compartment.

My next step will be adding some trim to cover the carpet edges (which I've cut, but haven't had a chance to paint and install yet). I will also be adding an iPad mount to the top so that I can fly my drone and the iPad mounted securely in the back.

For those that like dimensions: The overall box is 39" wide, 24" deep and 15" tall. The two large compartments are 14" wide, 24" deep and 14" tall (usable space). The center compartments are 7" wide, 24" deep, and (5" tall top/7.5" tall bottom).

Feel free to share your thoughts!
Sponsored

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Great job! Looks fantastic. You can make me one!

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Looks good, just a bit of a constructive question. Why doesn’t the top extend over the entire width to the sides?

OP
OP
Ryzen

Ryzen

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 BSBB, 17 FPIS
Great job! Looks fantastic. You can make me one!
Thank you! I could, but I don't have plans so results may vary :crackup:

Looks good, just a bit of a constructive question. Why doesn’t the top extend over the entire width to the sides?
Not sure I understand.. the entire unit is 39" wide and 24" deep. Both the top and bottom pieces are the exact same size.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure I understand.. the entire unit is 39" wide and 24" deep. Both the top and bottom pieces are the exact same size.
The top could be much wider and if it was, it would eliminate those holes on either side that stuff can fall into. Things that are placed on top of your box can roll/slide off into the area on top of the wheel wells. I have the CMS in my BL and when it is in place, it prevents items from falling off of it. It would seem that your box could do the same, just by extending the top over the wheel wells. But maybe you have some reason why it doesn’t?

Forestpatrol

Big Bend
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport Big Bend / 93 F350 IDI
The top could be much wider and if it was, it would eliminate those holes on either side that stuff can fall into. Things that are placed on top of your box can roll/slide off into the area on top of the wheel wells. I have the CMS in my BL and when it is in place, it prevents items from falling off of it. It would seem that your box could do the same, just by extending the top over the wheel wells. But maybe you have some reason why it doesn’t?
If the top were any wider he wouldn’t be able to slide it straight out and it is likely pretty heavy so lifting and tilting may not work easily.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the top were any wider he wouldn’t be able to slide it straight out and it is likely pretty heavy so lifting and tilting may not work easily.
I do not agree with your assessment on the width. I think it could easily be 2 to 3 inches wider on each side and it would still slide in/out without issue. I am just going by his picture. I think it could just slide back and if he put his arms in the “cubbies” he could lift it slightly and continue “sliding” it out. The reverse for install.

Again, just a little “constructive criticism” to determine if it might be a little better with a minor update. Those spaces on either side just stood out to me as an issue I would want to address if it were mine.

OP
OP
Ryzen

Ryzen

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 BSBB, 17 FPIS
I do not agree with your assessment on the width. I think it could easily be 2 to 3 inches wider on each side and it would still slide in/out without issue. I am just going by his picture. I think it could just slide back and if he put his arms in the “cubbies” he could lift it slightly and continue “sliding” it out. The reverse for install.

Again, just a little “constructive criticism” to determine if it might be a little better with a minor update. Those spaces on either side just stood out to me as an issue I would want to address if it were mine.
The unit with trim measures 39 1/2" wide. The opening to put the box into the vehicle at the loading height is 42" wide. Making the box 1 inch wider on each side would have fit, but I wouldn't have much room to prevent rubbing the interior plastics when installing/uninstalling the box.

I don't have anything that'll roll or slide off the top. Not pictured (yet) is my load-out. The top will have an iPad mount on the right side, and a fire extinguisher and med bag on the left side. I also added PVC trim around the entire box which gives a small lip to prevent large items from sliding. Anything small would be stored in cases below.

Ford Bronco Sport My Custom-Built Utility Box IMG_9905

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The unit with trim measures 39 1/2" wide. The opening to put the box into the vehicle at the loading height is 42" wide. Making the box 1 inch wider on each side would have fit, but I wouldn't have much room to prevent rubbing the interior plastics when installing/uninstalling the box.

I don't have anything that'll roll or slide off the top. Not pictured (yet) is my load-out. The top will have an iPad mount on the right side, and a fire extinguisher and med bag on the left side. I also added PVC trim around the entire box which gives a small lip to prevent large items from sliding. Anything small would be stored in cases below.

Ford Bronco Sport My Custom-Built Utility Box IMG_9905
Looks great, thanks for engaging and answering. I understand the limits and the trim makes it look that much better.

OP
OP
Ryzen

Ryzen

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 BSBB, 17 FPIS
Looks great, thanks for engaging and answering. I understand the limits and the trim makes it look that much better.
Appreciate it! Definitely looks "finished" now.