fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Dang that sux ! Makes you want to build a Garage or Car port .
Sponsored

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Wow, I'm so glad the day we had a hail storm I pulled into the garage. I would push for replacement parts siting the value of the car right now would drop drastically with that much Bondo you'd never be able to trade it in for what it's worth.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Sorry to see that damage. I would look around for a good PDR shop who specialized in massaging that metal back into shape. Read online reviews ect. I got dent in hood of my black '16 F150 and owner of the PDR shop fixed it himself. No matter what angle I look that dent is gone and that on black vehicle. So good PDR shop can bend that metal back to how it was.
Yup, this! I’ve had it done twice. No paint, just PDR, and my Escape has an aluminum hood as well. These guys (or gals) are amazing.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Wow, wishing you all the best in the repairs. Hail is a constant fear here in season, yet I’ve never had anything so extreme.

Orin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I dropped my motorcycle while going too fast on a turn and it flipped several times down the road...nobody got hit or anything. Had full coverage insurance. Honda dealership replace just about every side/rear/front panel, front tire rim, handle bars/mirrors like literally over half the bike got brand new color matched part from OEM original factory parts. Nothing was painted or repaired, they just threw new parts on it. Keep in mind the bike just suffered extreme scratches from it tumbling on the road. I was still able to ride the bike to the dealership after the wreck it was still intact.

Might be worth it for the dealership to see how they are going to repair it. They may take the easy route and just get new color matched parts from the Ford factory. If not then you can take it to the specialized shops for dent repair.

brockdog12

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Sorry this happened. I had $4000 in damage to my 99 Ranger years ago when it had to sit out in a hail storm because of no garage, the roof and hood had to be replaced and the windshield, etc.

More recently was the hail storm of 2016, thank goodness our vehicles were in the garage, but hail came through our roof and into the house and garage. Many of my neighbors vehicles were totaled unfortunately. Worst hail storm in my 40+ years of living in Texas.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Wow, that sucks. At lest no one got hurt.

As far as how it gets repaired (bondo/PDR vs new panels), ultimately it’s up to the insurance company. MANY people do not bother to read the fine print on their policies, especially when it comes to repairs and how they are handled, i.e. new vs used parts, OE vs Aftermarket, etc. Did you?

Slingy

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1970 T-Bird, 1972 T-Bird
Ooohh Maaannn!!! Those videos tell it all! The visual of the video is bad enough but the sound is absolutely horrifying!!! Sorry that happened to you and your BS. I hope you can get it all straightened out to your satisfaction!

mizzoubronco

Big Bend
First Name
T.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend
Ooof. I’m so sorry to hear that ? I had two payments on my BS BB when it got 15 min of hail (golf ball and slightly larger) this past june. I was heartbroken but fortunately it was all repairable via PDR. Got it back a few weeks later no worse for wear but I’ve never had that happen with a vehicle and hopefully never have it happen again.

The shop even covered my deductible because Progressive’s big wigs were on site to make sure the hail event coverage was being adequately attended to. The shop misplaced my keys and were a bit red-faced when I had to wait an extra 30 minutes cause the windshield guy had walked off with them ? so they offered to cover that for my trouble whichwas a pretty classy thing to do.
Anyways, I feel terrible for you… hope between the insurance and Ford they make it right for you.

ROADTRIP

Big Bend
First Name
Brandi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
This happened to me less than a week after getting it. It's been back and forth in the body shop almost every month since March. I wish I would have thought of taking it to a luxury shop cause the Ford Body Shop did more damage which prolonged a complete fix. Plus waiting on parts. When they replace the roof take it to a car wash to make sure that it's not leaking. This is currently what I am dealing with.

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid (order)
I wouldn't be taking a car with that damage to a dealership. Dealerships are for warranty work and basic maintenance at most.

Find a well regarded independent body shop. They should be painting more than the damaged panel anyway if they are blending. Are you not using your insurance?
My Ford dealer has a good body shop. I've used it numerous times and they're top shelf.

OP
OP
Robert Flavor

Robert Flavor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2000 Kawasaki KLR650
OP here, back with an "update".

First I brought the car to Planet Ford for an estimate, if you look at my first post, I go over those details. The serviceman never got back to me with my quote, even after I tried chasing them down. Since I was already being drug around before my car was even in the shop, I tried my luck elsewhere.

I scheduled an appointment at 1488 Collision and had to wait for the holidays to wrap up. Yesterday, their estimator basically wanted to take my keys and have me completely excluded from the process. I wanted to know a few basic things before handing over my car to them: how the repair was going to be performed, what the quote was going to be, how long it would take to get parts, etc.

Planet Ford told me some parts are on a four-month backorder. I don't want my car to sit in a lot for four months instead of being driven. Apart from being hard to look at, it's still a functioning car. They told me they don't "preorder" parts for a repair and if I wanted to use their shop, there was a good chance my car was going to sit in a lot for four months. I didn't like that answer, so I left.

Back to the drawing board. I want nothing more than my car to be fixed, but I have two asks: I don't want my car to needlessly sit in a lot for 4 months waiting on parts, it already sat for 6 months when I ordered it. Finally, I want the repairs to be done right. If the insurance isn't going to pay for the whole thing to be PDR'd and have non-repairable panels replaced, so be it, but I don't want to take my car to any shop who is going to by default say "we're going to body filler and repaint your entire car". I'm going to other shops today for second opinions.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
OP here, back with an "update".

First I brought the car to Planet Ford for an estimate, if you look at my first post, I go over those details. The serviceman never got back to me with my quote, even after I tried chasing them down. Since I was already being drug around before my car was even in the shop, I tried my luck elsewhere.

I scheduled an appointment at 1488 Collision and had to wait for the holidays to wrap up. Yesterday, their estimator basically wanted to take my keys and have me completely excluded from the process. I wanted to know a few basic things before handing over my car to them: how the repair was going to be performed, what the quote was going to be, how long it would take to get parts, etc.

Planet Ford told me some parts are on a four-month backorder. I don't want my car to sit in a lot for four months instead of being driven. Apart from being hard to look at, it's still a functioning car. They told me they don't "preorder" parts for a repair and if I wanted to use their shop, there was a good chance my car was going to sit in a lot for four months. I didn't like that answer, so I left.

Back to the drawing board. I want nothing more than my car to be fixed, but I have two asks: I don't want my car to needlessly sit in a lot for 4 months waiting on parts, it already sat for 6 months when I ordered it. Finally, I want the repairs to be done right. If the insurance isn't going to pay for the whole thing to be PDR'd and have non-repairable panels replaced, so be it, but I don't want to take my car to any shop who is going to by default say "we're going to body filler and repaint your entire car". I'm going to other shops today for second opinions.
I would give it to your insurance company to figure it all out , that’s what you pay them for . YOU ARE THE CUSTOMER

OP
OP
Robert Flavor

Robert Flavor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 2000 Kawasaki KLR650
Hey guys, been awhile. I wanted to follow back up and close the loop on this one.

In short, my car is fixed up and looking brand new. If I could leave some advice to anyone who was in my situation: stay calm, be patient, and talk to a couple of different shops. Even after literally every body panel on my car needed repair, everything ended up looking great and flush. Take a breath, even if you have to go the conventional repair route, your car is still going to look just great (another piece of advice is to never listen to anyone on a forum, but that's neither here nor there).

After contacting multiple shops, I went with a smaller repair shop in the Houston area on a friend's recommendation. The shop is Refined Collision and the owner, Ali, was very knowledgable on hail repair and even spotted tiny dents that I couldn't, even after I had looked at the car 10 times over.

They (and I) initially wanted to go the PDR route, but after taking the car to a PDR shop in Houston, the PDR techs weren't confident that they'd be able to get most of the dents out based on their severity, location, and quantity. Several, if not most of the dents on my car had creased from the impact and a lot were in angled places on the vehicle that would be impossible to get right again.

Thus, conventional repair and part replacement was the route we took and while I was hesitant, I'm overall very happy with the results. We both agreed that no matter what, neither of us wanted to replace the roof on a unibody (even though insurance approved the costs to do so). Thus, I gave full blessing to body-filler the hell out of the roof even if the end result wasn't going to be as perfect as the rest of the car. In the end, the roof looks phenomenal. If you have a good eye for it, you could spot that it's been worked on by the most minor reflections in the paint but I'd say it looks like I have a brand new roof.

Total repair cost: $11,500(plus $250 to retint the windshield)
Total amount of dents: indeterminable. We counted the ones on my hood and it was over 300 on that panel alone
Replaced parts: Hood, rear liftgate, driver roof rail, windshield, third brake light
Repaired parts: Literally everything else. PDR on the less-severe ones, but bondo on most of the driver's side.
Painted parts: Entire car was repainted.
Repair time: 2 months
Satisfaction: achieved

Thanks for reading

Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands was destroyed by hail. Resized_Resized_20220322_112158.JPEG

Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands was destroyed by hail. Resized_Resized_20220329_095614.JPEG

Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands was destroyed by hail. IMG_1610

Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands was destroyed by hail. IMG_1613

Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands was destroyed by hail. Resized_Resized_20220330_154509.JPEG

Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands was destroyed by hail. Resized_Resized_20220330_154422.JPEG

Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands was destroyed by hail. IMG_1600

Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands was destroyed by hail. IMG_1611

Last edited: