Mods required to turn the Sport BL into a respectable offroader?

OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Badlands
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler JK
So in reality all of the lift will for the most part come from the HRG subframe drop kit and flatout will give the added articulation travel is this correct? Or are you trying for a 4 inch lift?
How much does a 1.5" lift cost to install? Not something I can do myself.
Sponsored

OP
OP

GroovyGeek

Badlands
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler JK
As for "respectable", people are always going to look down on it. If other folks opinions are the part that matters with making it respectable, you won't get that with a sport no matter how much aftermarket mods are there. It's very capable, and you'll have more capability than many more "respectable" vehicles, but folks never seem to respect it. People are weird
As I mentioned earlier in the thread the word "respectable" was an unfortunate choice. "Serviceable" was probably more along the lines of what I intended. I don't care if someone else thinks they a BS is not a "real" Bronco - there are plenty of YT videos showing people doing this with their near stock BS-BL's that I would never attempt. I also don't have their skills at choosing lines and judging obstacles, which is why I need some metal down there to cover up for lack of competence :D

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
It's not a rock crawler, but the BL can definitely wheel. I'm at stock height, on 235-65-16" BFG K02s. Clearance has only been a slight issue where there are deep ruts from lifted vehicles that are also a similar width. Improved approach would be nice with bigger tires or lift though.

I'd echo that the lack of skid plate coverage on the radiator seems like #1 vulnerability. I've taken some hits on my Rally Innovations skid plate and it's holding up. HRG is probably better, but they were later to market. I've definitely seen a couple posts of radiator damage without an aftermarket skid.

Has anyone seen any other damage short of crashing or rolling? Haven't seen anyone mangle anything else other than tupperware.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
So in reality all of the lift will for the most part come from the HRG subframe drop kit and flatout will give the added articulation travel is this correct? Or are you trying for a 4 inch lift?
I may go a little bit higher (1/2") but overall I wanted the subframe drop to ease pressure on the driveline parts. I like the ability of the FlatOut to be adjusted, so I can choose what ride I have.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
I may go a little bit higher (1/2") but overall I wanted the subframe drop to ease pressure on the driveline parts. I like the ability of the FlatOut to be adjusted, so I can choose what ride I have.
Let me know how the install of the subframe drop goes. I am curious. I am wondering if I should just do the suffrage drop from the get go.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Let me know how the install of the subframe drop goes. I am curious. I am wondering if I should just do the suffrage drop from the get go.
I would say that you should be prepared for an extensive amount of work to install the subframe kit. I learned a lot doing the front yesterday, which would make it much easier the second time. I intend to do a little write up at some point but I need to finish the back first. I worked for about 2 hours yesterday on my motorcycle and 8 hours on the BS. I got everything installed but not put back together on the front end. I now need to get started on the rear, which should be a lot easier.

I did all of this from watching the video by HRG. The subframe drop kit came with a thick bunch of instructions that I did not notice until later. I need to sit down and read them to see if the written instructions cover some of what I struggled with from the video.

The hardest part so far has just been getting holes to line up when reassembling with the spacers. Other than not realizing that the whole subframe needs to be loose (not just one side).

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I did all of this from watching the video by HRG. The subframe drop kit came with a thick bunch of instructions that I did not notice until later. I need to sit down and read them to see if the written instructions cover some of what I struggled with from the video.
The ex-tech writer in me--who spent a significant portion of adulthood writing user guides and instruction manuals--is seething...

I once got an email from my boss to call a customer who was having difficulty with a product. I got him on the phone and after he told me what was going on I asked if he had reviewed the instructions. He said, "Nobody told me I had to read the instructions!"

:crackup:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The ex-tech writer in me--who spent a significant portion of adulthood writing user guides and instruction manuals--is seething...

I once got an email from my boss to call a customer who was having difficulty with a product. I got him on the phone and after he told me what was going on I asked if he had reviewed the instructions. He said, "Nobody told me I had to read the instructions!"

:crackup:
I'm sure that HRG, and I know for sure FlatOut, could benefit from your skillset. In my defense, I did watch the video from the company that makes the product on how it should be installed. Also, it's not like I've never unbolted a subframe or engine/transmission mount before either. I've also installed shocks/springs/struts multiple times on multiple vehicles.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
I am interested in your write up. To see if I really want to tackle this or stick with the original plan of the Basic HRG. I can do strut R&R easily enough, and that fits the budget.

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
I should finally be getting around to installing the FlatOut Suspension GR40 kit that I purchased late last year (that arrived in late January) and the HRG subframe drop kit this weekend. I won’t have any actual experience with it offroad for a little bit. There is still a lot of snow in the mountains around here. I will probably take it out to some easier front range fire roads and such pretty soon though.

My plan is to try and document the installation procedure for both, since neither company has very good instructions. HRG has a pretty good video (combined with their 2.5” lift) but FlatOut is just a text document with numbered steps. I will post the installation steps with some pictures for both after I’m done.

You stated that you don’t plan on a lift kit, so maybe this is all useless to you.

You asked about tires. The biggest tire you can fit without cutting sheet metal is 29.5” diameter. On the stock wheels, that comes out to a 245/65/17 or a 235/70/17. These tire sizes do not change whether you have a lift or not because of where the rubbing starts to happen on the BS. The BFG K02 is a good tire but it is pretty heavy. That means a rougher ride on the daily commute, less fuel mileage, and they are also known to be a little noisier. Falken Wildpeak AT/3 are pretty popular, much lighter weight, better in snow, and quiet on the highway. I have Toyo Open Country A/T and I think they are pretty good. Two other people I work with also have the same on they SUVs.

I would not get the HRG engine skid plate because it is an add-on to the existing one. This makes it difficult to do oil changes because you have to remove an extra piece. I like that it covers the lower part of the front bumper but would prefer to have one that was one piece, instead of an add-on.
With the HRG subframe drop, I was wondering is there any kind of carrier bearing along the driveline? Should that be lowered? And the rear differential does not seem to get adjusted either. My question then becomes are we only taking care of the front CV joint angles and not any other U/CV joint angles along the driveline.

Kirk klingaman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
With the HRG subframe drop, I was wondering is there any kind of carrier bearing along the driveline? Should that be lowered? And the rear differential does not seem to get adjusted either. My question then becomes are we only taking care of the front CV joint angles and not any other U/CV joint angles along the driveline.
As far as a respectable off roader. The Badlands needs no modifications I have done the white rim trail , chicken corners ,Gemini bridges and other trails in moab with a stock badlands with wildpeaks. NO DAMAGE .

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
I got the HRG 1.5" lift installed. It cost me amost $1000 at Desert Rat Offroad here in Albuquerque. I originally ordered the 2.5" lift, and Desert Rat looked at it and said they weren't willing to install it. HRG charged me a 20% restocking fee because the packages had been opened. That seems excessive. I've got about 1200 miles on the lift, and have no complaints at all. I haven't had a chance to try it off road yet. I have seen no change in gas mileage (no tire change).
Sponsored