Lug Nuts

NaysBadlands

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Be careful and make sure. I looked at both at a local auto store and even brought a set home...they were not (at least the ones I purchased.) If they say fitment for a Lincoln MKZ then likely yes
Agreed. Trying to make sure I get the right ones because I am ordering them online. I'm trying to see If we are supposed to have the plain Acorn or Bulge Acorn.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I'm thinking in the Pacific northwest this was a wise move.looks great. Honestly I doubt you can see a difference on the wheel.
I see the difference only because I look for it and some brake dust and road crud will hide it between washes anyhow. They look fine and the cap design is a match for factory ones.

We get rain when it isn't a drought, but only a bit of snow in the valley that quickly becomes an ice rink. They use glycol but are very sparing with the salt, only recently they use it on a few hilly stretches of road in the state. I'd rather stay home on the ice days, 4x4, AWD or not. I don't expect a lot of exposure but I like that the nuts are an actual 19mm if only so the guy rotating the tires doesn't round them off.

I've heard some people say the included lug wrench doesn't fit some aftermarket stuff so next time I am in the tire area I am going to see if it is a real 19 or not. Maybe Ford did it for a reason but I couldn't guess why. I could guess money, but what could be saved on a multipiece assembled, nonstandard part like that!

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I see the difference only because I look for it and some brake dust and road crud will hide it between washes anyhow. They look fine and the cap design is a match for factory ones.

We get rain when it isn't a drought, but only a bit of snow in the valley that quickly becomes an ice rink. They use glycol but are very sparing with the salt, only recently they use it on a few hilly stretches of road in the state. I'd rather stay home on the ice days, 4x4, AWD or not. I don't expect a lot of exposure but I like that the nuts are an actual 19mm if only so the guy rotating the tires doesn't round them off.

I've heard some people say the included lug wrench doesn't fit some aftermarket stuff so next time I am in the tire area I am going to see if it is a real 19 or not. Maybe Ford did it for a reason but I couldn't guess why. I could guess money, but what could be saved on a multipiece assembled, nonstandard part like that!
I ended up with 19mm 3/4" and the included wrench fit. I also put a 19mm with breaker bar in the tire area just incase.
Ford Bronco Sport Lug Nuts PXL_20210622_203328961
Ford Bronco Sport Lug Nuts PXL_20210622_203247679

Last edited:

Orin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Is it really that bad? I hate to have to order lugs on a new vehicle but if it's as bad as you say I will do it before I get a flat tire on the side of the road situation.

Jenma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 15 Mustang GT 50 yr, 22 Corsair
Is it really that bad? I hate to have to order lugs on a new vehicle but if it's as bad as you say I will do it before I get a flat tire on the side of the road situation.
No, it is not that bad. I'm still using the same original oem lug nuts on my 27 year old Explorer. I did change the bronco to black steel DP products as noted above.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
Duly Noted. I will replace mine ASAP.
Anyone have any Idea why Ford used those troublesome two part Nutz ?
Money of course there cheaper than the Solid ones

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The OEM lug nuts are of a two-piece, closed-end design. A two-piece design incorporates a mild steel jacket mated to the actual lug nut to close the end of the nut--hence "closed-end" design. One-piece, closed-end designs are available, but the entire nut is made of the same material, which increases costs.

Some have reported issues with the two-piece OEM lug nuts. Primarily, the mild steel jacket can be damaged if the person installing the lug nut uses an impact wrench on the wrong setting that applies too much torque. Similarly, you can twist off the jacket if you install the lug nuts using a torque-multiplying device (AKA a breaker bar) and/or if you have gorilla arms and install the lug nuts using blue torque (blue torque is an industry term whereby you crank on the wrench until you're blue in the face).

If you install the lug nuts properly, with a torque wrench set to 100 lb ft as specified by Ford, you will not have any issues with the OEM lug nuts. They are DESIGNED to handle that amount of torque. Most people cannot over torque the lug nuts using the lug wrench that comes with the car as part of the spare tire installation kit--you simply do not have enough leverage with the emergency lug wrench. This, of course, does not apply to the blue-torque, gorilla-arm crowd--you know who you are.

Keep in mind that Ford's recommended torque figure of 100 lb ft takes into account the limits of the lug bolt, lug nut AND the wheels. Lug bolts and nuts are made of steel, but the wheels are made of aluminum alloys which are much softer. You can damage your wheels if you over-torque the lug nuts. In fact, it may be best for the blue-torque, gorilla-arm crowd to stick with the OEM lug nuts. That way you'll likely twist the jacket off the lug nut before damaging your wheel.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
My 2021 Bronco Sport parked next to my 1994 Explorer Sport complete with the original two piece lug nuts.
Ford Bronco Sport Lug Nuts 1639589606900
My brother-in-law had a mid 90s two-door explorer that we drove all over the Front Range. I think it may have even been the same color. Great memories.

Schmohawk007

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
  1. Improved design - this replacement lug nut changes the original two-piece design to one piece for greater reliability Unlike the steel cap lug nuts, our one-piece design doesn’t swell nor delaminate after exposure to moisture. Giving you peace of mind.
  2. Thoroughly tested - part has undergone proof load, salt spray, hardness, and thread check testing to meet strict standards
Amazon purchase For those looking for a reasonable alternative. Hard to beat $21 for a set of 20. Fit no issues. I handspun them on so they all grabbed and threaded perfectly. Used a torque wrench to 100FT/LB Now I feel like I need to use black touchup on the McGuard lock nuts. Not buying matching lugs, already paid $40 through the dealer for those when I bought the Bronco.
For those searching, the Lincoln MKZ premier trim 2018 uses the same fit, not a lot of places carry the Bronco Sport lugs specifically...but it's the same thing.
Thanks for the link. Just bought the chrome ones, should be here Friday.
Sponsored