Lug Nuts

Jenma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 15 Mustang GT 50 yr, 22 Corsair
My new Bronco Sport is sitting in my garage next to my 1994 Explorer Sport. After 27 years the Explorer has the same original lug nuts which are the same two piece used on the Bronco. They must be OK.
Sponsored

broncobuster2550

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something slow
I never had problems with my Ford lug nuts, but I made sure they were only ever removed with a breaker bar and installed with a torque wrench. I think excessive ugga duggas are what destroy the beauty cap.

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid (order)
I never had problems with my Ford lug nuts, but I made sure they were only ever removed with a breaker bar and installed with a torque wrench. I think excessive ugga duggas are what destroy the beauty cap.
For decades I avoided the well known lug nut issue... then last year I discovered I had a couple of swollen lugs on my Escape. They were a bear to get off and now I plan to get aftermarket lugs for my new vehicles right away as I don't want to have a flat and not be able to switch to a spare while I'm on the road.

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
Ford boss me on YouTube did a good video on replacing wheel nuts. The problem is any aftermarket nut I have used, will be rusty in a year or two.

Last edited:

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I tried to purchase replacement lugs using the M12 1.5s and the first set I bought had the wrong pitch and diameter at the rim. The parts guy suggested I go right to FORD OEM for locking lugs to ensure quality fit and avoid warranty issues. I just went to the dealer to pick up my plate and they had the OEM locking lugs in the parts area. Gave me a new car discount. I will eventually try to locate the right lugs to swap out the ones factory installed.

Zolutar

Outer Banks
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB+, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Definitely replace the garbage OEM Lugs with a solid piece...I just dealt with the swollen lugs on my Escape...bought new ones and have already changed them on the Bronco too. Don't ever wanna deal with that issue again haha.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Definitely replace the garbage OEM Lugs with a solid piece...I just dealt with the swollen lugs on my Escape...bought new ones and have already changed them on the Bronco too. Don't ever wanna deal with that issue again haha.
so did you go with 12x 1.5 bulge acorn style? Have a link to what you purchased? I noticed on the levittown site, the locking lugs which I bought at my dealer also fit lincoln MKZ 2018. Most sites don't list compatable lugs for bronco sport, but many have some for the MKZ and they look like the OEM two piece lugs.

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
Using the check fit , it reads they don't fit the 2021 BS.
Mine said the same, but it's the size from the manual and my BS is running down the road just fine with them installed. The BS is new enough that I don't think amazon the right sizes yet.

CaptainCanada

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I had swollen lug nuts on my 2015 escape in for service once that they could not get off. Ended up needing to replace the lug nuts and the hub assembly on the driver side under warranty as a result. Gave me a rental while they did this. My boss at work had the same thing on an F150 so count your blessings if you haven't had this happen ever.

If anyone find actual good quality lug nuts here for the BS that wont rust out please post so as I'm fearful of the swollen lug nut problem. It was the Ford dealer's garage that told me how common a problem this is.

CaptainCanada

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Nice, they seem like quality lugs from what i'm reading online. Looking at the McGard website it lists them for the 2020 escape so I'm not shocked that they fit perfectly here given what the BS is built on.

Only thing I see noted on the McGard site is it states this:

"Notes for: 2020 Ford Escape
Lug nuts will not fit OEM lug wrench.; Not for use on steel wheels."

Is it referring the wrench with the spare? Also I tend to put winter tires on steel rims so I assume I'd need a separate set of lug nuts?

DakotaTimber

Badlands
First Name
DakotaTimber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL + BL, 360+, tow +
Nice, they seem like quality lugs from what i'm reading online. Looking at the McGard website it lists them for the 2020 escape so I'm not shocked that they fit perfectly here given what the BS is built on.

Only thing I see noted on the McGard site is it states this:

"Notes for: 2020 Ford Escape
Lug nuts will not fit OEM lug wrench.; Not for use on steel wheels."

Is it referring the wrench with the spare? Also I tend to put winter tires on steel rims so I assume I'd need a separate set of lug nuts?
19mm vs 3/4" McGard covering their butt on the wrenches. 3/4" = 19.05mm

I personally have never trusted spare tire kits. I carry a 18" x 1/2" breaker and a 19mm long socket for the tire wrench.

The lug nuts are made of black chrome, not steel so another cover their butt, for that big guy that doesn't have a sense of strength.
Ford Bronco Sport Lug Nuts IMG_2865.JPG

The factory lug nut shown is a bit sloppy in the socket, but it would work unless the cap is damaged.

Ford Bronco Sport Lug Nuts IMG_2864.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: