Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
I'm interested in the transceiver and antenna ideas on the Stormchaser (or other Bronco Sports). I'm looking at a motorized mount (something like a K9000TM) on the roof rack so I don't have to remove the antenna every time I pull in the garage. Not sure about grounding though.

Waiting for the Sport sitting in my garage before I look for a dual band (or it's control head) that will fit in the spot below the infotainment controls. Ventilation problems? New Ham Tech. license so whole thing will be a learning experience.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
I'm interested in the transceiver and antenna ideas on the Stormchaser (or other Bronco Sports). I'm looking at a motorized mount (something like a K9000TM) on the roof rack so I don't have to remove the antenna every time I pull in the garage. Not sure about grounding though.

Waiting for the Sport sitting in my garage before I look for a dual band (or it's control head) that will fit in the spot below the infotainment controls. Ventilation problems? New Ham Tech. license so whole thing will be a learning experience.
I have a Yaesu FT8900R quad-band I want to put in the BS. A rugged little mobile that I have in another vehicle. But the recommended antenna, Diamond CR8900A is 50" high, too big to go in the garage. This motorized mount is a great solution to what was worrying me.

Thank you for sharing!

73s, K7JRT

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a Yaesu FT8900R quad-band I want to put in the BS. A rugged little mobile that I have in another vehicle. But the recommended antenna, Diamond CR8900A is 50" high, too big to go in the garage. This motorized mount is a great solution to what was worrying me.

Thank you for sharing!

73s, K7JRT
I was looking at the FT8900R!!! Glad to know it's a good unit.

We just have to remember to hit the antenna down button before we go in the garage! Might try to link the motor mount switch with Garage Door button. Fun projects ahead.

KF0COG

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Want to be careful not to go off topic here (maybe we a topic for radios and electronic gadgets). But wanted to share advice I got from the radio guys in my EmComm unit.

the go-to antenna they use for dual band (2m/70cm) is the PulseLarsen NMO 270, such as at https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmo2-70b-1712

Works great to mount it on the hood with a lip bracket. ee won’t know the proper lip bracket to use until we see the vehicle to know that the bends look like. Good thing is that it is short enough to go in garage just fine.

mount the base under the front seat and mount the detachable head driver side right at the A pillar ( being careful to avoid airbag so you don’t eat radio bits in a crash).

you can run the power yourself through the firewall or you could hire someone like car toys to run that but for you cuz they do that all the time.

this seems like great advice, neat and clean and no folding required. That is the way I am going to go.

also, if you are looking at the ft8900r, be advised it is discontinued, so look soon. I found a good used one at MTC.

73s

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great information. Thanks. I noticed the BS owners manual has an Electromagnetic Compatibility Appendices on pages 403 - 405. Not sure how useful it is but I was interested to see it.

Agree we'll need some gadget and modification threads soon. Will be great to compare everyone's installation and wiring ideas for future mods.

BobH

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Miata GT 97 f150 21 BS BL
Want to be careful not to go off topic here (maybe we a topic for radios and electronic gadgets). But wanted to share advice I got from the radio guys in my EmComm unit.

the go-to antenna they use for dual band (2m/70cm) is the PulseLarsen NMO 270, such as at https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/larsen-nmo2-70b-1712

Works great to mount it on the hood with a lip bracket. ee won’t know the proper lip bracket to use until we see the vehicle to know that the bends look like. Good thing is that it is short enough to go in garage just fine.

mount the base under the front seat and mount the detachable head driver side right at the A pillar ( being careful to avoid airbag so you don’t eat radio bits in a crash).

you can run the power yourself through the firewall or you could hire someone like car toys to run that but for you cuz they do that all the time.

this seems like great advice, neat and clean and no folding required. That is the way I am going to go.

also, if you are looking at the ft8900r, be advised it is discontinued, so look soon. I found a good used one at MTC.

73s
I kind of am looking at the cubby between the radio and the heating controls as a place to mount a control head. Should be able to wedge something in there. That will come later. Will be using my TH-D74a Kenwood HH sitting in a cup holder. I think the roof rail end caps are removable and you might find a grounding point underneath. We have great repeater coverage here in western SD. Two of them at 7000+ feet in the Black Hills with 100+mile coverage. I'll try to post some pics of my BL BS out in the actual Bad Lands NP when I get it. Also will be out rock hunting in the badlands in the national grass lands. Lots of off road out here.

Bob, KF0AM

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great information. Thanks. I noticed the BS owners manual has an Electromagnetic Compatibility Appendices on pages 403 - 405. Not sure how useful it is but I was interested to see it.
Looking at pages 403-405, if I read this correctly, are they saying that 2m/70cm radio antennas can only be mounted in position 2 and 3, up on the roof. And really just at the very front or very rear of the roof. So no lip-mount? Is that what you all read?

Ford Bronco Sport Introducing the Bronco Sport Badlands Trail Rig Concept 1607371196790

Ultraspaz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's my impression. Not sure if this is a guide to reduce interference in our radio or prevent interference in the BS electronics. With the wattage restrictions I'm assuming the later. Maybe a lip mount on the rear hatch, magnetic mount or drill a hole :surprised:?

K0BRR now. (New Vanity for a Minne-sotan eh)

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll likely add the flat roof rack first, then position the antennas on the top towards the back, like I did on my Xterra so there is no problem with the antennas and the rack. I'm assuming it's metal so drilling the 3/8" holes won't be a problem. I use a remote control head on the 2m /440 radio and mount it to the top of the windshield via a suction cup rack. I'll past some pics once it all comes together, hopefully.
I got to take a test drive today. An initial look at the body, it looks like there are not obvious mounting points for the antenna. We can’t mount on front hood. No lips at rear.

I expect you are right about mounting on cross bars or platform on roof. It seems like a challenge. Will be good to compare notes

Lufelham

Badlands
First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands 2022
So with a 1 inch lift can I get a 31 inch wheel?

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
No!

You can get 245/65r17s on there. There is someone on the What Did You do to your Bronco Sport Today thread who is going with a 1.75" lift and he swears 31s will fit without rubbing. So far, I don't believe anyone on here has claimed to have done that without trimming a little of the unibody where it hits.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Hmmm. Well, you can, but you won’t be able to turn fully without rubbing and you will lose most articulation without rubbing.

245/65-17 is about the biggest you can go without rubbing at full turn and full articulation.
Sponsored

Last edited: