imaynzr

Big Bend
First Name
ioema
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
How could a mouse get in to closed BSBB? We live in mountainous woods with an additional cabin a mile further in the woods. I know mice can get ANYWHERE. But....are there any readily identifiable routes in to the cabin of the BSBB that can be fixed. I know mice get through head of a needle sized spaces and chew through literally anything (except maybe steel wool). I should have elaborated on my question but was trying to be cute.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Mice can fit through a 1/4ā€ diameter hole and if one isnā€™t there, they can chew one.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
I donā€™t know. But last year my wifeā€˜s friend had her new Honda Odessey totaled out. Thereā€™s literally 100 ways they can end up in the cabin.

We had some cats on the ranch and rarely ran into problems.

goodlandbadland

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Donā€™t forget the other explanation. The mouse got into a bag(s) or box and was unwittingly released into the car when the temporary home was placed into the automobile. They will hitchhike on or in just about anything they can sneak into.

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
To answer your question OP, mice fit in extremely small areas. I've been documenting my adventure here. If they've actually entered the cabin, or you have a nest on your cabin air filter, I would recommend you plug the holes documented here with wire mesh or steel wool. Those circled in red points go directly under the windshield cowling, which gives them very easy access to the intake.

If they have nested in the cabin air filter, I would wear nitrile gloves and a basic mask (N95 not necessary), throw out the air filter, discard of any other nesting material (if there was a lot it may fall into the basket below, a dryer vent attachment for a vacuum could help BUT I would either use the vacuum outside or one with a HEPA filter built in), and spray some sort of surface disinfectant like windex anti-bacterial (kills viruses too) according to instructions (that's a 10 minute sit time before wipe up to disinfect). Wipe dry, replace cabin air filter.

If the smell persists, idle the car engine on airflow max recirculate with an ozone generator for 30 minutes with the window closed. Then open the driver door, open all windows, shut off engine, leave car for fifteen minutes with windows open to let the ozone out.

You may also want to check the engine air filter (which, unlike the cabin air filter, was fine in my car).

There's still some nesting material in my car and based on smell after long drives and examination of the engine bay visually and with a fiber optic tool, I think it's behind the front passenger side fender out of sight...

(Why gloves and mask - mice have all sorts of nasty diseases like hantavirus, you don't want to deal with this stuff without PPE. I've had some techs tell me they'd wear an N95 and gloves and act very gingerly, even "tough guys", and others that have flat out said they will not clean up rodent related material flat out.)

Robink

Big Bend
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco sport
I can actually see the ground by looking to each side of my steering wheel. There is cheap rubber stuff covering the back of it. Try looking down from the top of your steering wheel where it attaches to the dash.

davidg4781

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I've seen bugs end up inside my BS when I'm assuming it was closed and sealed up. Bugs like flies or mosquitoes that are just flying around, not like an ant trying to find some sugar.

OP
OP

imaynzr

Big Bend
First Name
ioema
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
To answer your question OP, mice fit in extremely small areas. I've been documenting my adventure here. If they've actually entered the cabin, or you have a nest on your cabin air filter, I would recommend you plug the holes documented here with wire mesh or steel wool. Those circled in red points go directly under the windshield cowling, which gives them very easy access to the intake.

If they have nested in the cabin air filter, I would wear nitrile gloves and a basic mask (N95 not necessary), throw out the air filter, discard of any other nesting material (if there was a lot it may fall into the basket below, a dryer vent attachment for a vacuum could help BUT I would either use the vacuum outside or one with a HEPA filter built in), and spray some sort of surface disinfectant like windex anti-bacterial (kills viruses too) according to instructions (that's a 10 minute sit time before wipe up to disinfect). Wipe dry, replace cabin air filter.

If the smell persists, idle the car engine on airflow max recirculate with an ozone generator for 30 minutes with the window closed. Then open the driver door, open all windows, shut off engine, leave car for fifteen minutes with windows open to let the ozone out.

You may also want to check the engine air filter (which, unlike the cabin air filter, was fine in my car).

There's still some nesting material in my car and based on smell after long drives and examination of the engine bay visually and with a fiber optic tool, I think it's behind the front passenger side fender out of sight...

(Why gloves and mask - mice have all sorts of nasty diseases like hantavirus, you don't want to deal with this stuff without PPE. I've had some techs tell me they'd wear an N95 and gloves and act very gingerly, even "tough guys", and others that have flat out said they will not clean up rodent related material flat out.)
This, my friend, is exactly the response I hoped for and thank you very much for sharing. I now remember a pilot we had that filled with nuts in the cabin air filter. Thanks so much!!

First Name
Alto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Furry Woodland Creature got into my Engine Bay. Iā€™m dealing with this Issue right now 2nd time. Thought it was miceā€¦after the second time found it might be Squirrels. $1,500 first time, second time $2,200 insurance will be handling this one.
2010 F-150 Harley Davidson Edition with 65,000 miles, she parks outside. Garage is in the future, just not yet. Should be getting her back today.
Going to install this hope it helps, if it doesnā€™t Iā€™ll have to sell my Truck. Inside the vehicle sounds worse that just the engine bay.

Ford Bronco Sport How the H*LL did THAT get in there? IMG_0365

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
Furry Woodland Creature got into my Engine Bay. Iā€™m dealing with this Issue right now 2nd time. Thought it was miceā€¦after the second time found it might be Squirrels. $1,500 first time, second time $2,200 insurance will be handling this one.
2010 F-150 Harley Davidson Edition with 65,000 miles, she parks outside. Garage is in the future, just not yet. Should be getting her back today.
Going to install this hope it helps, if it doesnā€™t Iā€™ll have to sell my Truck. Inside the vehicle sounds worse that just the engine bay.

Ford Bronco Sport How the H*LL did THAT get in there? IMG_0365
This sounds fairly frequent. Are you fairly rural?? It says 'Nashville' so I can't imagine how far out of town you might be.