CALoscalzo

Big Bend
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Big Bend 2022
I was T-boned at an intersection by a hit and run driver. After the collision it I tried to apply my brakes. They did not appear to work and it seemed like the engine had quit. I rolled into a tree and stopped.

if I had brakes, I would not have rolled into the tree. It all happened so fast it’s hard to depict moment by moment but when I did stop the transmission selector still showed a yellow D.

Insurance is investigating. I’ll have Ford service department run a diagnostic to see if anything shows up there.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
As @jkeaton noted, it could be any number of issues related to the impact. In addition, when your engine quits you lose assistance from the vacuum-powered master cylinder. That means you have to press much harder on the pedal to make the brakes work.

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
Glad you are safe. Hopefully the car is not totaled, but property can ultimately be replaced. Insurance will generally not consider a hit-and-run accident in your premiums. Of course, you still have to pay your collision deductible (unless they can find the other driver, in which case your insurance company can subrogate.)

As already pointed out by jkeaton and Mark, a lot of things can fail in an accident. Some can be deliberate (many Ford vehicles in a severe impact will automatically cut power to the fuel pump to reduce the risk of a fire). Others can just be a byproduct of things breaking due to the collision.

If a side impact resulted in enough damage to disable the brakes, I would be concerned that your insurer will end up totaling your vehicle. You have no control over whether or not the insurance company does this; your insurer can total it by choice, and in Kentucky, if the cost to repair your vehicle exceeds 75% of the actual cash value of your car, they are required to total your car. While I wouldn't recommend buying a vehicle today, I would consider to start looking around at a dealer that will give you a good deal on a new car, in case your insurance company does total your vehicle...

CletusVanDam

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Sorry for the tough luck, and glad you're alright.

This makes me wonder: Does the parking brake on the Bronco Sport have any use in a situation like this? Obviously if it was a regular old e-brake handle, we could use that to brake in emergencies. But does our parking brake on/off switch have any application here? I'm not even sure it would come on, or what would happen if I just flipped it on while moving.

Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
So I guess no power slides in the snow... I was wondering if I pulled it would lock it up, but I guess not. That does make sense, though. The mechanism to push/pull and the electronic activation would be too slow to quickly apply and release for some winter fun

kshaw

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport;350Z;Hybrid Escape
Some cars have an automatic turn-off on the fuel to lower the risk of a fire after an impact. I had an Escape with that feature and I had to look up how to turn the fuel back on.