How good will the non-Badlands trims be at off-roading?

SkyHigh98

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CRV
I'm just curious to see how people will think the non badland trims (base, big bend, outer banks) will do off-road, they do have low ground clearance compared to other crossovers (7.8 vs 8.4 for example) but I think they may make up for it with better approach and departure angles.

What do you guys think?

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
The non BL edition only really needs bigger tires to get that 8.8" of clearance. That's the only difference in ride height. Math didn't check out

The BL/FE supposedly has a slightly modified suspension (but I can't be sure on that as that is just hearsay) (Proven below by Essential). However it does have an additional rear clutch that acts like a locker as well as a transmission cooler.

I think the other trims will do as well as a Subaru Forester and other Crossovers that tout AWD with trail modes. It might be slightly better at small Rock modes but nothing like the Moab testing that Ford did with the BL.

Adding a transmission cooler might help, but you won't have the electronic controlled Mud/Ruts and Rock modes of the BL. I have not seen the gearing ratios... not sure if they are different.

Last edited:

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
The non BL edition only really needs bigger tires to get that 8.8" of clearance. That's the only difference in ride height.

The BL/FE supposedly has a slightly modified suspension (but I can't be sure on that as that is just hearsay). However it does have an additional rear clutch that acts like a locker as well as a transmission cooler.

I think the other trims will do as well as a Subaru Forester and other Crossovers that tout AWD with trail modes. It might be slightly better at small Rock modes but nothing like the Moab testing that Ford did with the BL.

Adding a transmission cooler might help, but you won't have the electronic controlled Mud/Ruts and Rock modes of the BL. I have not seen the gearing ratios... not sure if they are different.
All the trims include a “high performance off road stability suspension system”. The badlands does have an upgraded suspension system.
ACF89AD9-4394-4CDB-89C3-EC0EB0D20047.jpeg

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
I would really like to know exactly how off-road capable the other trims are, as well. I hope that there will be some reviewers with the other trims testing out their capabilities by December 7th!

Jomo

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
The non BL edition only really needs bigger tires to get that 8.8" of clearance. That's the only difference in ride height.
The stock BL and non-BL tires are essentially the same diameter. You can get 8.8" clearance for a non-BL with tires alone, but the tires would have to be 2" larger in diameter. They would highly likely rub. You can use the larger 235/65-17 BL option tire without issues, but you would only get about 0.25" increase in ride height.

It will be interesting what are exactly the changes to the BL to get the added 0.75" lift over the non-BL. Or better yet, the 1.75" height increase (1" BL lift) of the BL Trail Rig. See if this lift can be applied to all versions. I have the feeling the supensions are not that different as the suspension travel from the specs is the same for the BL and non-BL. Of course, you will not have the fancy hydraulic bump stop for the non-BL.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
I would really like to know exactly how off-road capable the other trims are, as well. I hope that there will be some reviewers with the other trims testing out their capabilities by December 7th!
I see some big bends and outer banks out there. I believe the other trims will perform anywhere from good to great depending on the condition of the terrain. They will be more capable than any on road specific vehicle and above average for off road vehicles of same price range
69469EB8-2775-40D5-A0BD-ECCA5CF1A124.jpeg

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
The stock BL and non-BL tires are essentially the same diameter. You can get 8.8" clearance for a non-BL with tires alone, but the tires would have to be 2" larger in diameter. They would highly likely rub. You can use the larger 235/65-17 BL option tire without issues, but you would only get about 0.25" increase in ride height.

It will be interesting what are exactly the changes to the BL to get the added 0.75" lift over the non-BL. Or better yet, the 1.75" height increase (1" BL lift) of the BL Trail Rig. See if this lift can be applied to all versions. I have the feeling the supensions are not that different as the suspension travel from the specs is the same for the BL and non-BL. Of course, you will not have the fancy hydraulic bump stop for the non-BL.
They are not the same diameter. The badlands standard tires give you 8.55” of ground clearance. The 29” tire gives you 8.80” of ground clearance. (+.25)

The upgraded modified suspension are the difference in BL ground clearance over the other trims standard off road suspension.

Last edited:

Jomo

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
They are not the same diameter. The badlands standard tires give you 8.55” of ground clearance. The 29” tire gives you 8.80” of ground clearance. (+.25)

The upgraded modified suspension are the difference in BL ground clearance over the other trims standard off road suspension.
The stock BL tire is the same size as the Base and BB (225/65-17). The 225/60-18 in the OB is a tiny bit larger.

This means that the BL is getting it's 0.75" added clearance from the modified rear knuckles and likely a different front strut perch. As you stated, the larger optional tire just buys you 0.25" ride height.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
The stock BL tire is the same size as the Base and BB (225/65-17). The 225/60-18 in the OB is a tiny bit larger.

This means that the BL is getting it's 0.75" added clearance from the modified rear knuckles and likely a different front strut perch. As you stated, the larger optional tire just buys you 0.25" ride height.
Yes that and larger diameter shocks all play a role in increasing the ground clearance 0.75”

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
Both of you are saying the same thing and I am wrong in my first post. This is very interesting.

I will probably get an aftermarket lift once they come out with it. I would like a 2" lift if possible. So I can hit the magic 12" clearance.. just for [email protected] and giggles.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
Both of you are saying the same thing and I am wrong in my first post. This is very interesting.
I get your point though. The other trims could add 29” tires and have a >8” ground clearance. They don’t have the advanced mechanics and equipment but will still do well and imo better than average. The design team designed the bronco sport to live up to the name. They gave all trims the bronco badge not just the badlands. That would hurt the bronco name if they performed like an current gen escape would off-road. They still off the escape because they are different vehicle with different capabilities