How good will the non-Badlands trims be at off-roading?

SkyHigh98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CRV
I'm just curious to see how people will think the non badland trims (base, big bend, outer banks) will do off-road, they do have low ground clearance compared to other crossovers (7.8 vs 8.4 for example) but I think they may make up for it with better approach and departure angles.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
The non BL edition only really needs bigger tires to get that 8.8" of clearance. That's the only difference in ride height. Math didn't check out

The BL/FE supposedly has a slightly modified suspension (but I can't be sure on that as that is just hearsay) (Proven below by Essential). However it does have an additional rear clutch that acts like a locker as well as a transmission cooler.

I think the other trims will do as well as a Subaru Forester and other Crossovers that tout AWD with trail modes. It might be slightly better at small Rock modes but nothing like the Moab testing that Ford did with the BL.

Adding a transmission cooler might help, but you won't have the electronic controlled Mud/Ruts and Rock modes of the BL. I have not seen the gearing ratios... not sure if they are different.

Last edited:

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
I would really like to know exactly how off-road capable the other trims are, as well. I hope that there will be some reviewers with the other trims testing out their capabilities by December 7th!

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
The non BL edition only really needs bigger tires to get that 8.8" of clearance. That's the only difference in ride height.
The stock BL and non-BL tires are essentially the same diameter. You can get 8.8" clearance for a non-BL with tires alone, but the tires would have to be 2" larger in diameter. They would highly likely rub. You can use the larger 235/65-17 BL option tire without issues, but you would only get about 0.25" increase in ride height.

It will be interesting what are exactly the changes to the BL to get the added 0.75" lift over the non-BL. Or better yet, the 1.75" height increase (1" BL lift) of the BL Trail Rig. See if this lift can be applied to all versions. I have the feeling the supensions are not that different as the suspension travel from the specs is the same for the BL and non-BL. Of course, you will not have the fancy hydraulic bump stop for the non-BL.

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
They are not the same diameter. The badlands standard tires give you 8.55” of ground clearance. The 29” tire gives you 8.80” of ground clearance. (+.25)

The upgraded modified suspension are the difference in BL ground clearance over the other trims standard off road suspension.
The stock BL tire is the same size as the Base and BB (225/65-17). The 225/60-18 in the OB is a tiny bit larger.

This means that the BL is getting it's 0.75" added clearance from the modified rear knuckles and likely a different front strut perch. As you stated, the larger optional tire just buys you 0.25" ride height.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
Both of you are saying the same thing and I am wrong in my first post. This is very interesting.

I will probably get an aftermarket lift once they come out with it. I would like a 2" lift if possible. So I can hit the magic 12" clearance.. just for sh@ts and giggles.

MikeS11222

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I will probably get an aftermarket lift once they come out with it. I would like a 2" lift if possible. So I can hit the magic 12" clearance.. just for sh@ts and giggles.
What is your plan for getting 12" of ground clearance?

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I'm just curious to see how people will think the non badland trims (base, big bend, outer banks) will do off-road, they do have low ground clearance compared to other crossovers (7.8 vs 8.4 for example) but I think they may make up for it with better approach and departure angles.

What do you guys think?
I think they'll do better than the vast majority of CUVs. Around the same as something like anything Jeep has with similar engine performance. They'll be a bit better than most Subarus because of the approach and departure angles you mentioned. You can get an Outback with a lot more power which gives it an advantage with climbing.

I don't think anything from Toyota, Honda, GMC, ext has anything close. Even the ones with "off road" models are mostly just cosmetics.

The AWD system in all trims is top tier for the price range. You won't find a better one until you get into the 50k+ range.

EDIT: I didn't notice this was a resurrected thread.

Last edited:

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
The Badlands Focus RS diffy, factory lift and the 2.0 engine makes the BL so much better. That being said the non BL BS I am sure would do fine with a good set of tires.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Someone did an off road review of Big Bend sport in this video:

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
base model here. upgraded bfg k02 245/65/17 otherwise stock. i do have an HRG lift kit in the basement, but we were camping pretty much every weekend so i never got around to installing it yet.
that being said, the base is pretty stout off the highway. we are very much into off grid camping and exploring poorly maintained service roads in the Rocky Mountains. We love deep snow as well. we have crossed small streams, sandy beaches, climbed steep mountain roads, and drive through the tallest snow drifts we can find.
for us, our base has done everything we have ever asked it to do. 2021 and approaching 42,000 kms with the majority of those km driving out to BC, Yukon, and Alaska. Once we get out there, we leave the pavement as fast as possible and hit the mountain trails.
Badlands model does have options to make it more capable yes, but a good driver and good tires does alot on these lil mountain goats.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
base model here. upgraded bfg k02 245/65/17 otherwise stock. i do have an HRG lift kit in the basement, but we were camping pretty much every weekend so i never got around to installing it yet.
that being said, the base is pretty stout off the highway. we are very much into off grid camping and exploring poorly maintained service roads in the Rocky Mountains. We love deep snow as well. we have crossed small streams, sandy beaches, climbed steep mountain roads, and drive through the tallest snow drifts we can find.
for us, our base has done everything we have ever asked it to do. 2021 and approaching 42,000 kms with the majority of those km driving out to BC, Yukon, and Alaska. Once we get out there, we leave the pavement as fast as possible and hit the mountain trails.
Badlands model does have options to make it more capable yes, but a good driver and good tires does alot on these lil mountain goats.
Looks like you made it your own , very sharp . The tires and rims make the look , proper sizing on the tires . Enjoy
Ford Bronco Sport How good will the non-Badlands trims be at off-roading? 6BCA57B6-4E14-47C6-9A51-F3194225BB0C

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
Looks like you made it your own , very sharp . The tires and rims make the look , proper sizing on the tires . Enjoy
Ford Bronco Sport How good will the non-Badlands trims be at off-roading? 6BCA57B6-4E14-47C6-9A51-F3194225BB0C
thanks, and i love your first edition. rare stuff is fun!

Reactions: Jrl

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I have the 2022 Big Bend with stock tires. Wouldn't consider any kind of serious rock climbing but it's done fine off road in gravel, mud, rutted roads with uphill inclines. Haven't tried it yet on soft sand although with air down tires I'm confident it would do alright. Can't speak for others but that's been my experience.

JAD67428

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport. 1994 Ford Mustang GT.
While I haven’t gone 4 wheeling with her we did go out in the middle of a blizzard with 2 feet of snow in 2021 and she was a trooper even tho we had the Continental Tires she wheeled right thru it.
and we did feel the under carriage hitting the snow in certain spots but she just kept going thru it.

Sponsored