Hissing, scraping, wind-like noise when accelerating and cruising

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
Turbocharged cars require a lot of plumbing under the hood to move intake air around in.
Started hearing similar noise from the day one of ownership. This is my first car with turbo engine. I assumed that all that extra air supplied to the engine is what was making all those unfamiliar noises.
Sponsored

Steve1222

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm also interested on the OP's, or anyone's, updates. I have not had a chance to take ours to the dealer for service but hear the sound even more now (under any load: air escaping or fast ringing, like a tambourine). Will update here if I can get it looked at and have more info.

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Some have a rattle clicking sound caused by Park Release Cable. There is a TSB out for that problem.
~good to know thanks for heads up!

Little humor here...

Customer brings in vehicle and says
'there's an odd noise.'

The service department responds
Okay no problem we have a
'rattle clicking sound'
TSB to take care of that.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
I'm also interested on the OP's, or anyone's, updates. I have not had a chance to take ours to the dealer for service but hear the sound even more now (under any load: air escaping or fast ringing, like a tambourine). Will update here if I can get it looked at and have more info.
Hello!
Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this noise concern on your Bronco. Thanks!

Bardoon

Outer Banks
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport 2022
I just got my 2022 Bronco Sport (OB Edition) this weekend and I'm also getting the hissing. Looks like it hasn't been fully fixed on new 2022 models either.

It sounds like a little hole in the windshield on the middle-to-driver's side. Softer at lower speeds, but a louder at higher speeds. It's even there at idle, so it's definitely NOT a hole (and I've noticed it go away when the engine cuts off from the eco-stop system in NORMAL). I've tried different GOAT modes and such but it's definitely something under the hood.

Other than that, the car is fantastic!

Anyone got any updates on their experience with it other than the 'Manual Parking Release cable'? Is that looking to be the main cause?

Last edited:

Bardoon

Outer Banks
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport 2022
Any updates from anyone?

My dealer claimed they couldn't find anything wrong and couldn't identify the sound. They also said they'd like the tech or foreman to ride along with me and also offered to let me drive another bronco sport on the lot to see if it has a similar sound. They didn't do anything with the manual park charging cable.

I'll report back afterwards.

Bardoon

Outer Banks
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport 2022
Posted my update in a different thread since it seems like this one is fizzling.

DISCOLEG

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I've got my FE in May 2021. I have heard the hissing/ice crystalizing noise especially if you in eco mode.
My guess it's something to to with fuel pump...I heard there might be a recall for it but they don't have parts, so we did not get the official letters yet.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I would encourage you to record it and post it if possible.
I'm not sure I understand the reasoning for this. There is almost no chance whatsoever what you will hear on a recording will sound anything like what the person is hearing while driving their car--there are simply too many variables. And even if you could somehow reproduce the noise with any fidelity it's unlikely someone will be able to diagnose your issue based on a noise. And even someone does miraculously identify your issue, no amount of commiseration with fellow BS owners will fix it. If you believe your car is making abnormal noises the ONLY way it will get fixed is if you convince an authorized Ford service department the noise you're hearing is not normal. You must insist that you be present to point out the noise to the technician assigned to deal with your issue. If the technician says they can't hear it or that it's normal then your only recourse at that point is to go to a different dealership or turn up the music.

BB68

Outer Banks
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hi all,

I just purchased a 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands model (with the Badlands package). I love the car, but I have noticed that there is an odd extra sound coming from the car (I suspect the engine). I can hear it pretty much all the time, but it's loudest when I'm accelerating or cruising at speed. That being said, I'm starting to notice it even more even when I am breaking slowly at low speeds (like coming to a stop light). It's hard to describe the noise. It's definitely separate from the typical purr of an engine when you accelerate. It's like a continuous icy/scraping/hissing noise. It's quiet subtle, but I feel like it's not normal, especially for a brand new car. I honestly didn't notice it when I first drove it home from the dealer. Weirdly I can hear it better when the windows are closed. I also feel like I hear it loudest in my left ear (when in the drivers seat), like it's coming from more from the left side of the car/engine. I have read a few other forums that seem to describe something similar, but I thought I'd ask the community as well since it seems everyone kind of describes the noise a little different. I have an appointment in a little over a week to take it in to a Ford dealer, but I thought I'd gather some opinions so that I have more information myself when I take it in. Hopefully this isn't a major problem, I haven't noticed any affects on the cars ability to accelerate or perform. I really love the car, but I just feel this noise is abnormal. Thanks so much.
OP does it sound like this???

Attachments

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please don’t dismiss the validity of people trying to get help online for their cars after not being helped at dealers. Thanks.
I apologize if it sounded like I'm dismissing your concern; I'm not. It sucks that you are not enjoying your car as much as I enjoy mine. I'm really trying to help.

Here's what I've learned over the years in trying to diagnose odd noises:

First, you have to accurately describe the noise. Using the right adjective(s) is critical. Thumping, grinding, ticking, clanking, scraping, squeaking, etc. are very descriptive. Try to find the right one to describe the noise, but keep in mind subtle noises are subjective, what one person describes as a "clanking" another might describe as "clacking." Subtle, but different.

Second, some noises are situational. For example, you only hear it when turning left, while accelerating, while braking, while in reverse, etc. If you can narrow it down to very specific circumstance that will go far in aiding diagnosis.

Third, most vehicular noises have a specific frequency and volume: thump, thump, THUMP, THUMP. What is the frequency (i.e. cycles per second) and how loud is it? Can you hear it with the radio on? Can you hear it over road/wind noise on the highway? Does the volume and/or frequency change with the vehicle's speed? If so the noise is most likely related to the tires, wheels, or brakes. If the volume and/or frequency changes with engine RPM then the noise is most likely related to an engine problem. If the noise is a constant frequency (like a hum or squeal) but changes volume with vehicle speed then it's likely related to wind.

While it's possible someone else here on the forum may believe your description matches the noise they are hearing in their vehicle, the only way to know if they are caused by the same thing is for each of you to get a diagnosis from a service tech. You both might very well be hearing what you believe is the same noise only to find they are caused by very different phenomena.

Finally, here's the problem (IMHO) with uploading videos here: I've listened to them all and I absolutely cannot hear anything out of the ordinary in any of them. And even if I COULD hear what you're talking about, for all the reasons I've already mentioned it's a really ineffective way of diagnosing these kinds of problems. You must convince the service department at your dealership (or another dealership willing to help you) that your vehicle is making inappropriate noises, and get an official diagnosis of a bona fide problem from them. Start with a really good description with all the elements I listed above, insist on having a technician in the vehicle with you when it's making the noise, then come to an agreement on an official description of the noise that gets entered in the computer. It's important that you get the technician to agree they are hearing the same thing as you and get it in the computer. That way there's a record if any problems related to the noise crop up down the road, say after the warranty expires.

If your service dept confirms the noise and tells you it's normal then you have five options as I see it:
  1. Take it to another dealership service dept for another opinion.
  2. Go up the chain to Ford.
  3. Live with the noise.
  4. Sell the car.
  5. Hire an attorney and file a lawsuit.
Again, I apologize if you believe I am dismissing your problem. That is not my intent in any way.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I'll throw out another tip for diagnosing noises.

Take everything out of the vehicle. Empty the glovebox, console, door pockets, any storage area. Your sunglasses , Yeti cup, loose change etc...

Noises in the cabin often sound like they come from one direction but are coming for a totally different place.

I had a rattle in my RAV4 that drove me nuts. Sounded like the dash. It was actually the passenger seat belt buckle bumping the plastic trim on the door. So another tip, hook up all of the seat belts so they can't bump anything.

When you take it to the dealer, leave everything out of the vehicle so the they don't have to empty it out or use your stuff as reason for the noise.

If you had loaned it to your teenager and it came back freshly washed, that might be clue. :)

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll throw out another tip for diagnosing noises.

Take everything out of the vehicle. Empty the glovebox, console, door pockets, any storage area. Your sunglasses , Yeti cup, loose change etc...
Excellent.

First Name
Mackenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
Has anyone found out what this is/ if it’s an issue? I got my bronco sport last week and really like it, but it started making this sound a few days ago. I’m going to attach a video I took it’s hard to hear with the wind but it’s definitely louder when I’m going faster.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Issues, Repairs, Warranty, Recalls, TSB 15