Hissing, scraping, wind-like noise when accelerating and cruising

First Name
Mackenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
Posted my update in a different thread since it seems like this one is fizzling.
What forum did you post your update in? I just got my car last week and it’s making this sound. Trying to figure out if I need to go in or not. Thank you:)
Sponsored

Bardoon

Outer Banks
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport 2022
What forum did you post your update in? I just got my car last week and it’s making this sound. Trying to figure out if I need to go in or not. Thank you:)
I've done a lot of investigating on this and I'm ultimately convinced that it's normal but has been poorly advertised by Ford corporate.

I'm fairly confident it's the Turbo on the 1.5L Engine. This is just how it sounds. The hissing is normal (some louder than others) as the air intake is larger on the turbo, and you'll also hear clicking, warbling, etc. etc. Ford also chose to not put much sound-dampening in the cabin as the Bronco is supposed to be an "active" vehicle and they want people to hear the engine noises, etc. Ford corporate also did a TERRIBLE (i.e. NOTHING) in making customers AND dealers aware. That's why there's so much discussion about it.

I had my car serviced, found nothing wrong, and I recently did a ride-along with a Ford-certified Service Senior Tech on ANOTHER Bronco Sport and the sound(s) were there as well. This other Bronco Sport's 'hissing' wasn't as loud as mine, but it was definitely there. In fact, the OTHER Bronco Sports' engine turbine (the "growl") was louder than mine while my hissing is louder and my engine turbine is quieter. The tech highlighted that he replaced a turbo on a Ford Escape (same engine as the Bronco Sport) that was hissing and it made the same noises even after the turbo change. He also said that Ford corporate is notorious for NOT telling customer/dealers of these things that can affect the customer experience.

I can live with my sound, it's different because I'm not used to a turbo as my old car didn't have one, but it's not terrible and hasn't gotten worse. I overall wish it wasn't there though and wish Ford would address it, but I can live with it.

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I've done a lot of investigating on this and I'm ultimately convinced that it's normal but has been poorly advertised by Ford corporate.

I'm fairly confident it's the Turbo on the 1.5L Engine. This is just how it sounds. The hissing is normal (some louder than others) as the air intake is larger on the turbo, and you'll also hear clicking, warbling, etc. etc. Ford also chose to not put much sound-dampening in the cabin as the Bronco is supposed to be an "active" vehicle and they want people to hear the engine noises, etc. Ford corporate also did a TERRIBLE (i.e. NOTHING) in making customers AND dealers aware. That's why there's so much discussion about it.

I had my car serviced, found nothing wrong, and I recently did a ride-along with a Ford-certified Service Senior Tech on ANOTHER Bronco Sport and the sound(s) were there as well. This other Bronco Sport's 'hissing' wasn't as loud as mine, but it was definitely there. In fact, the OTHER Bronco Sports' engine turbine (the "growl") was louder than mine while my hissing is louder and my engine turbine is quieter. The tech highlighted that he replaced a turbo on a Ford Escape (same engine as the Bronco Sport) that was hissing and it made the same noises even after the turbo change. He also said that Ford corporate is notorious for NOT telling customer/dealers of these things that can affect the customer experience.

I can live with my sound, it's different because I'm not used to a turbo as my old car didn't have one, but it's not terrible and hasn't gotten worse. I overall wish it wasn't there though and wish Ford would address it, but I can live with it.
I’m going to bring it up with the dealer next time I’m in (soon to get lifted as long as my CFO…. Wife… still says yes).

Buy im with you. I had a 2015 turbo mustang that I traded for this bad boy and it made a lot of the same odd noises my 4cyl does in my BL. I think it’s gonna turn out to be noises you hear because…. Well…. There isn’t much engine noise to cover it up.

Alistar

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Buy im with you. I had a 2015 turbo mustang that I traded for this bad boy and it made a lot of the same odd noises my 4cyl does in my BL. I think it’s gonna turn out to be noises you hear because…. Well…. There isn’t much engine noise to cover it up.
I've traded in the 17 Mustang Ecoboost (I think is the same motor as yours) and never heard anything weird like in the BS. Really good car, with engine cover and hood insulation?
Starting to get used to it, most of the time I use Spotify, but still doesn't sounds right for a brand new car....
I'm wondering if adding the cover and hood insulation would kill most of the noises.

Alistar

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

There's a very dense post about it where some people say they were able to get rid of it disconnecting the park release cable. Haven't try myself

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/on-this-episode-of-is-this-noise-normal.2574/

SoCal310

Outer Banks
First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2022
I've traded in the 17 Mustang Ecoboost (I think is the same motor as yours) and never heard anything weird like in the BS. Really good car, with engine cover and hood insulation?
Starting to get used to it, most of the time I use Spotify, but still doesn't sounds right for a brand new car....
I'm wondering if adding the cover and hood insulation would kill most of the noises.
Alistar,

I am also interested in potentially purchasing the hood and engine cover to try and kill the noise. Please share what you find out.

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
What made me think this is that my stang made the noises mostly when really cold outside or really hot (we hit 120 here…. And the turbo REALLY struggles to do nothing at all LOL). But from the 60s through low 100s there was no noise.

seems I don’t hear the noises in the BS when we are in the upper 60s and 70s here. Haven’t had it long enough to see what the hell season does to her.

but the cable is why I am also going to talk with the dealer next time in. JIC.

First Name
Mackenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport

Thank you!!! I’m supposed to have mine looked at today, but I’m sure I’ll be told the same thing. I was just concerned because I never heard either sound during the first few days with the car. Thanks again!:)

Bardoon

Outer Banks
First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport 2022
There's a very dense post about it where some people say they were able to get rid of it disconnecting the park release cable. Haven't try myself

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/on-this-episode-of-is-this-noise-normal.2574/
I’ve looked into the park cable and also brought it up to my dealer. Ford corporate actually told my dealer that it is a non-issue on 2022 models like mine as it was addressed in late 2021 on the new models. Granted, it could be a cause but the cable was mostly related to grinding and rattling noise and not a consistent hiss. If you do get it checked out, please do report back as I’m still open to hearing alternatives.

some others have removed the cable and still say they get a hiss.

First Name
Mackenzie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
Just got back from the dealer and was told that everything seems to be normal, and that all of the new broncos, not just the sports, are seeming to have an extra noisy turbo engine. They told me to come back if it's inconsistent or if it starts to get louder.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
After weeks of trying to get help from Ford’s customer service people, I finally found out today they closed my “case.” They can’t tell me why it was closed.

Now they claim they will “re-escalate” it, hah.

Warning to others: do not buy this car.
Have you tried a different dealer? A lot of Ford dealers are completely useless not able to fix anything. Maybe look online at dealer service department reviews? I realize you should not have to go through this grief but maybe there is another dealer that has technicians with skills.

Dealer won't disconnect Park Release Cable see if noise goes away?

Bdud

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport

I've owned turbo cars before and non of them made this kind of noise. Something isn't right. So many videos of grinding noises being posted here and every other bronco sport discussion place. I have a 2 month old I need to get to day car so I can make it to my job. I don't have time to play is this noise normal or is my transmission going to blow.
Sponsored

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Issues, Repairs, Warranty, Recalls, TSB 15