Hello from Falken Tires

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
Hi. I am wondering, as everybody tales about proper tire sizing. Are all 245/65/17 tires really equally tall? Or varies because of thread type. Highway vs all-terrain vs off-road? Thanks in advance
NO! Nor are they equally wide. You could think of them as nominally sized. You could get a "245" from one company and model, that's 250mm wide and from another that's 240mm.

Look at the detailed specs on TR's web site. Last time I did a comparison of several tires there was a 3/10" difference, in height, between the 4 tires, of the same "size", I checked.

If you do the math, a 245/65/17 should be 29.539" in diameter. The Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T I'm interested in is 29.8" in diameter.

Just did another check of some of the better and more popular A/T tires. Of the 6 I checked, they only varied by .1" in height (did not include the Baja Boss) but tread width varied from 7.6 to 8.3 and section width from 9.5 to 9.8.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yes, the beginning dimensions of the tire are the same. So the outside diameter will be the same (within reason/tolerances) no matter what style of tire you buy (all season, all terrain, off-road, etc). The tread depth will most likely be different between those tire styles. A true off-road tire will have deeper tread, which will make it "squirm" on road in braking/cornering. An all-season will have shorter tread that will handle better on road but won't have the same grip off-road. The off-road tire will also have a softer compound that will wear faster than the all-season (especially on road). In all of these scenarios, the all terrain is a compromise between all-season and off-road.
Thanks for the information Meanderthal! Really clarified my doubts.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
NO! Nor are they equally wide. You could think of them as nominally sized. You could get a "245" from one company and model, that's 250mm wide and from another that's 240mm.

Look at the detailed specs on TR's web site. Last time I did a comparison of several tires there was a 3/10" difference, in height, between the 4 tires, of the same "size", I checked.

If you do the math, a 245/65/17 should be 29.539" in diameter. The Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T I'm interested in is 29.8" in diameter.
If you are counting on 1/4" (3/10" or 5mm) to make a tire "fit", then you are cutting things too close. Yes, there are small differences between different tires (brands or even models) but they are small enough to not affect overall fit/function, unless you are really squeezing in a tire that probably shouldn't be there.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This being the internet, I'm expecting an expansive discussion on "nominal differences" and what is considered to be a "tolerance" when deviating from an accepted standard.

Don't let me down! :like:
Sorry, I'm not planning to participate.

OP
OP
Falken QA

Falken QA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NONE
Hi. I am wondering, as everybody tales about proper tire sizing. Are all 245/65/17 tires really equally tall? Or varies because of thread type. Highway vs all-terrain vs off-road? Thanks in advance

Just did another check of some of the better and more popular A/T tires. Of the 6 I checked, they only varied by .1" in height (did not include the Baja Boss) but tread width varied from 7.6 to 8.3 and section width from 9.5 to 9.8.

That is correct. While there is some "standardize" criteria set by governing tire board, every tire manufacturer is free to spec out their tire their way. A 245/65R17 from one brand can actually be a 239/65R17 from another brand, vice versa. However, it'll be listed as a 245/65R17.

Tread depths, sidewall width, tread width, RPM, weight, etc are all free to be tailor, whether between two different brands or even within the same brand.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
Within the Falken brand, they can be. For example, we have the OE Wildpeak AT3w (AT3wA) and the off the shelf Wildpeak AT3w. When comparing them side by side, the off shelf AT3w has a more aggressive tread design compared to a more conservative AT3wA/OE At3w. The OE versions typically have to be conservative as it has to meet certain noise, comfort, and performance levels for that vehicle manufacturer as the manufacturer is gearing the tire for the general public (not enthusiasts). This could explain why the Pirelli's aren't performing to an expected level. However, I'm sure if purchase a off the shelf Pirelli, performance would blow the OE version. I'm not defending Pirelli; I'm solely shedding light on the scenario.

I believe this is the 235/65 and 245/65 in 17's? Biggest difference is the the 235's are the OE tire for the sport. The 245s are the off-the-shelf wildpeak AT3w. Technical differences? 245s would be half an inch taller than the 235s but not much of a difference in terms of width. 245s weigh 8 lbs more, so this will affect MPG/performance of the vehicle. 245s has a higher load capacity due to this added, on the other hand. The 235s does have a softer compound, so it won't last as long as the 245s (being that it is a OE tire), however I haven't came across a case where a owner complained about a short life. Then again, they are probably utilizing the vehicle to it's full potential & understand tire life would be sacrificed.
I have the bronco first edition sport and they came with 235 on , I am looking to go up to 245/70/17 falken
Within the Falken brand, they can be. For example, we have the OE Wildpeak AT3w (AT3wA) and the off the shelf Wildpeak AT3w. When comparing them side by side, the off shelf AT3w has a more aggressive tread design compared to a more conservative AT3wA/OE At3w. The OE versions typically have to be conservative as it has to meet certain noise, comfort, and performance levels for that vehicle manufacturer as the manufacturer is gearing the tire for the general public (not enthusiasts). This could explain why the Pirelli's aren't performing to an expected level. However, I'm sure if purchase a off the shelf Pirelli, performance would blow the OE version. I'm not defending Pirelli; I'm solely shedding light on the scenario.

I believe this is the 235/65 and 245/65 in 17's? Biggest difference is the the 235's are the OE tire for the sport. The 245s are the off-the-shelf wildpeak AT3w. Technical differences? 245s would be half an inch taller than the 235s but not much of a difference in terms of width. 245s weigh 8 lbs more, so this will affect MPG/performance of the vehicle. 245s has a higher load capacity due to this added, on the other hand. The 235s does have a softer compound, so it won't last as long as the 245s (being that it is a OE tire), however I haven't came across a case where a owner complained about a short life. Then again, they are probably utilizing the vehicle to it's full potential & understand tire life would be sacrificed.
Would like to try 245/70/17 on my first edition 2021 sport any thoughts ?
Ford Bronco Sport Hello from Falken Tires 58F2C31E-6126-44F0-A076-E320D1D3BD4F

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the bronco first edition sport and they came with 235 on , I am looking to go up to 245/70/17 falken

Would like to try 245/70/17 on my first edition 2021 sport any thoughts ?
Ford Bronco Sport Hello from Falken Tires 58F2C31E-6126-44F0-A076-E320D1D3BD4F
My recommendation is don’t try that size! If you do make sure wherever you get them from will give you a full refund, when you find out they are rubbing the pinch weld or somewhere else in the front wheel well.

Reactions: Jrl

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
My recommendation is don’t try that size! If you do make sure wherever you get them from will give you a full refund, when you find out they are rubbing the pinch weld or somewhere else in the front wheel well.
Thanks for the advice. Just a thought. I am going with the 245/65/17 falkens .

Ford Bronco Sport Hello from Falken Tires 8C539C91-1108-4395-9ABB-76EF12E75A21

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the advice. Just a thought. I am going with the 245/65/17 falkens .

Ford Bronco Sport Hello from Falken Tires 8C539C91-1108-4395-9ABB-76EF12E75A21
245/65/17 should not be a problem on any BS, with the possible exception of, if they are on wheels with a very different offset, than the oem.

OP
OP
Falken QA

Falken QA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NONE
@Jrl a 245/70R17 is a very aggressive size to go. Modifying the vehicle, starting with a lift kit for clearance & additional wheel well room, along and going with less positive wheel offset to clear suspension components, would be just the beginning.

If the vehicle hasn't been modify with no intent to do so, 235s or 245s in a 60 or 65 series should be fine, which has been confirmed by fellow Bronco Sport owners. This is a safe plus size alternative that will provide good results without harsh consequences to MPG/performance/handling, etc.

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
30.5 won’t fit without issues. 30” and below are fine stock.

Reactions: Jrl

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
30.5 won’t fit without issues. 30” and below are fine stock.
Agreed, but with the caveat that some 30” will fit and others will not. The slight differences in size and shape from brand to brand and even model to model could cause a 30” tire to rub. It seems that 29.5” or smaller are a safe bet.

Bamsi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hi everyone! How good is the Wildpeak AT Trail? I see, maybe 80% paved roads/highway and 20% off-road. Want a confortable ride, lower noise while having fair traction off-road.

Oban

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
@Falken QA I'm planning to keep stock height (no lift) on my Outer Bank and keep the factory wheels and use the Wildpeaks. I see that both 235 65 r18 and 245 60 r18 should both fit without issues. Is there any appreciable difference between the two sizes that would make a difference for everyday driving?
Sponsored