First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
warren149.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Hi does anybody know why Ford Stuck with the hatchback on the bronco sport? The t seems like they missed an opportunity to put a proper door instead of a cheap ass inconvenient pain in the tush hatchback.
I spend my life putting things in an out of my vehicles and having to open a huge great hatch every time is a pain, sure that is the opening window but it’s not the same when it’s something heavy and I often have in my vehicle
Sponsored

Fordfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BRONCO SPORT OB
Hi does anybody know why Ford Stuck with the hatchback on the bronco sport? The t seems like they missed an opportunity to put a proper door instead of a cheap ass inconvenient pain in the tush hatchback.
I spend my life putting things in an out of my vehicles and having to open a huge great hatch every time is a pain, sure that is the opening window but it’s not the same when it’s something heavy and I often have in my vehicle
I find this hatch to be quite light actually and easy to open even for my wife. Side swing door would be cool but not great when you're loading groceries and someone is parked behind you and cannot fully open door.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
The Window opens & I too like the hatch . Keeps you out of the Rain/Snow when adding or removing things , makes a good sun shield when sitting on the edge of the cargo floor .

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport
Yeah, pros and cons to the side swing. Had one on my old CRV. It’s nice to have a spare on, but it can dramatically increase body damage in a minor collision. You don’t have to fight the weight of it opening or closing, but it can get in the way even if you have room in a parallel parking spot. In a diagonal spot it swings into the roadway. Hitch mounted racks are easier to get out of the way of a vertical hatch. I also like the vertical hatch for a quick bit of shade or shelter from rain.

Would be nice to have the spare tire, a jerrycan and a ladder on a side swing though.

MikeS11222

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I agree with Maxwellian. I have the swing door on my FJ and always wished it had a hatch. The swing out can be inconvenient is certain situations.

CanineChamp

First Edition
First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mork
As a dog trainer, I use the hatch frequently. Never once thought it felt cheap.

OP
OP
Warren505

Warren505

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
warren149.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
seems like the OP needs a big Bronco base.
does the big bronco have a normal door?
im glad to hear the hatch is light , ive had a couple of rentals recenly an Chrysler passenger van and a Nissan Armada, bot doors were electric and you have to use the electric , you couldn't just pop the door open and slip something in or out and if you tried to speed it up it would stop and open again , very annoying.
i just remember the pain i went thru every time i had to load some thing with a forklift the hatch would get in the way on my old Astro van.
Too me the door goes along with making it different from every other bland indistinguishable hatchback .suv .station wagon in everything but name in silver grey out there.
being the 1% and not a look lookalike is an important part of paying the premium for a Bronco sport! well to me anyway, if i wanted a shopping car there are many much cheaper options out there......
thanks for comments, i agree with the pluses of a hatch but not compare to a door.

Fordfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BRONCO SPORT OB
im glad to hear the hatch is light , ive had a couple of rentals recenly an Chrysler passenger van and a Nissan Armada, bot doors were electric and you have to use the electric , you couldn't just pop the door open and slip something in or out and if you tried to speed it up it would stop and open again , very annoying.
i just remember the pain i went thru every time i had to load some thing with a forklift the hatch would get in the way on my old Astro van.
Too me the door goes along with making it different from every other bland indistinguishable hatchback .suv .station wagon in everything but name in silver grey out there.
being the 1% and not a look lookalike is an important part of paying the premium for a Bronco sport! well to me anyway, if i wanted a shopping car there are many much cheaper options out there......
thanks for comments, i agree with the pluses of a hatch but not compare to a door.
Yeah have to agree those electric/auto hatches slow to open . Had a Flex and an Explorer and yeah those were real heavy if you disabled the auto.......you'll like this one more I think.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
A properly counterweighted liftgate is far superior to a motorized one due to speed and convenience.
Same goes for tires on the back, unless you're going full safari and can't unload your vehicle back in the bush, why would you want to bother with a big ass tire on the back?

As much as I would love a manual transmission, watching a Bronco walkaround on YouTube confirmed my choice, it looked like a pain to routinely use the rear cargo area, especially dealing with the swing gate and then having the soft top in the way.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport

big bronco has a swing door...bland indistiguishable 1%...swing door see:jeep wrangler...I don't want a wrangler wanabe. I like the sport. My 79 had a swing spare, key activated roll down rear glass, and drop down tailgate similar to pickups. Had to make sure the tire was clear, then drop the glass, then drop the gate. Pop glass/Pop hatch= tech improvement.

Reactions: Jrl

fdes

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I prefer the hatch as well, but rather than having a pop up window would have liked a roll down window like the 4 runner. That way you could drive with the rear window down.

First Name
Jamee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport Badlands
I feel like it should have been a split hatch something like the Honda Element had- glass half goes up, bottom half folds down like a tailgate
Sponsored