Good video analysis of Falken A/T4W

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS

My two biggest concerns would be the added weight and how the grip might change when it gets to that first step down, in the notches, and they disappear. Anybody know how deep that is?
Stay to the end, for his conclusions.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
The weight for our sizes doesn't change much. The 245/65/17 is only a 1.9lbs difference. AT3 - 40 lbs and AT4 is 41.9l bs. The 235 size is an obvious jump. because they aren't being made for Ford and its a 7lbs jump from AT3 - 31.1 lbs to At4 - 38.2 lbs.

The crazy weight difference is in the sizes that offer the new 3-ply Duraspec sidewalls and they aren't offered in a BS size.

I really like the way the 235 AT3 rides. I have Toyo OC AT3 245/65/17 on mine and when i drive my wife's with the Faulken 235's its noticeably quicker.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
The weight for our sizes doesn't change much. The 245/65/17 is only a 1.9lbs difference. AT3 - 40 lbs and AT4 is 41.9l bs. The 235 size is an obvious jump. because they aren't being made for Ford and its a 7lbs jump from AT3 - 31.1 lbs to At4 - 38.2 lbs.

The crazy weight difference is in the sizes that offer the new 3-ply Duraspec sidewalls and they aren't offered in a BS size.

I really like the way the 235 AT3 rides. I have Toyo OC AT3 245/65/17 on mine and when i drive my wife's with the Faulken 235's its noticeably quicker.
I definitely like the 235’s. I know they are not the most athletic looking but at my age I’m not in it for the looks, I’m in it for the overall performance.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
OK, so they changed the tire to sell into a differently oriented market. It's noisier on the road, worse on wet and ice and collects more pebbles on gravel and paved roads. That's where 90% of my driving happens. MPG can only be worse to much worse depending on driving use. Dealbreakers. It's not the tire for me anymore. I bet 1.5 owners will really dislike it even more.

birddog2

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda CRV Bronco Sport Badlands
It will be interesting to see what Ford does to replace the Falken AT 3 as the OEM option on the Badlands.
I will be looking to replace my Falken Wildpeak AT 3 this Fall as I will have 40k miles on them.
Have really enjoyed the AT 3s on my 2021 Badlands and had been thinking of the AT 4s but the extra weight effect on mpg might be a killer.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, so they changed the tire to sell into a differently oriented market. It's noisier on the road, worse on wet and ice and collects more pebbles on gravel and paved roads. That's where 90% of my driving happens. MPG can only be worse to much worse depending on driving use. Dealbreakers. It's not the tire for me anymore. I bet 1.5 owners will really dislike it even more.
Actually, it was the other way around. The 235/65-17 was designed specifically for the Bronco Sport. It’s not as aggressive or heavy as the other sizes. They just didn’t make that size match Ford’s requirements. I thought I so somewhere that the replacement is another Goodyear Territory designed specifically for the Sport similar to the one designed specifically for the full size.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Actually, it was the other way around. The 235/65-17 was designed specifically for the Bronco Sport. It’s not as aggressive or heavy as the other sizes. They just didn’t make that size match Ford’s requirements. I thought I so somewhere that the replacement is another Goodyear Territory designed specifically for the Sport similar to the one designed specifically for the full size.
I believe @Glamdring70 is referring to the AT4/W, not the AT3/W. Tim believes the "upgraded" tire is heavier, noisier, and will reduce fuel economy.

Last edited:

Babybronc21

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport First Edition
It will be interesting to see what Ford does to replace the Falken AT 3 as the OEM option on the Badlands.
I will be looking to replace my Falken Wildpeak AT 3 this Fall as I will have 40k miles on them.
Have really enjoyed the AT 3s on my 2021 Badlands and had been thinking of the AT 4s but the extra weight effect on mpg might be a killer.
Do what I plan to do and just 10 lbs to make up the difference or tell the family to stay home 😂 just think of the accessories we could add. 🤔

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
So I must be one of the first people with the AT/4W on the car and I reset my trip once I installed the tires. So far I'm getting a combined MPG of around 23.6 and thats with driving in the mountains and snow over the weekend. I plan on keeping a long running average, maybe I can report back on here once I get 500mi on them.

The tires ore noticeably heavier then the stock pirelli scorpion ATRS....as expected I'm sure. After I got them installed one of my first impressions was the car really had to try a bit harder to get going.

And my initial impressions are ya, its a dam good tire, but I'm maybe not the best person to speak on how good it is or the performance considering I am coming from the Pirelli's. The difference compared to the Scorpions is night and day though as expected and I wish I had made the switch sooner.

The road noise is pretty good. Yea sometimes theres a low rumble but I have to work to hear it. I guess if you're being critical it’s noticeable but it’s not annoying or nuisance.

It will be intersting when someone on here replaces their AT/3W with AT/4Ws and can give a more direct comparison. My expectation is the differences will be minimal but when you're making a purchase thats expected to last as long as these are those things are not inconsequential.

Last edited:

Babybronc21

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport First Edition

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe @Glamdring70 is referring to the AT4/W, not the AT3/W. Tim believes the "upgraded" tire is heavier, noisier, and will reduce fuel economy.
I agree, my comment was that the 235/65-17 AT3W was designed specifically for the Sport. All the other sizes of the AT3W are much beefier and aggressive. Now with the AT4W, they are all beefy and aggressive.

As most have noticed, my explanations are typically lacking! :cool:

RogueRodney

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Atlas Blue Metallic
Bluebaru and Mark S.:

Thanks for the video/information share! Loved that guys video. Always amazes me at how much thought goes into pretty much everything in the world (I remember watch road construction on the history channel and being blown away by the thought that goes into guardrails).

One thing I noticed from AmazingSieve is where your located. I'm on the plains and speed limits here are abit higher (or practically non-existent) on the highways hereabouts.

I'm really enjoying my Falken AT3's and I really like the look of those AT4's, but 7 to 10 lbs a tire at 90 mph does have me abit worried.

Reading the article Mark S. shared now...

Thanks to everyone on this forum!

RR

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I agree, my comment was that the 235/65-17 AT3W was designed specifically for the Sport. All the other sizes of the AT3W are much beefier and aggressive. Now with the AT4W, they are all beefy and aggressive.

As most have noticed, my explanations are typically lacking! :cool:
Right. An ordinary off-the-line AT3W wouldn't compare to the OEM ones that are specifically made for the Sport. But nothing in the 4W line compares either, ergo Falken doesn't have a tire "for" the Sport any longer.
Fortunately my factory set should last long enough to see what Ford options for the '25 OEM "offroad" tire. I guess I should say "if", but of all the options they could alter, I don't think they'll kill off the offroad tire one. I am happy with the mileage and performance of the car as-built. Stiffer and heavier tires will not improve my experience. Ford will not want to lower the MPG on those window stickers or make the ride worse. They'll find the tire for me, or get it made.

Curtsbronco

Badlands
First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dual Sport Family. Badlands and Big Bend.
Was really about to make the move from 235/65 17 AT3’s to a 245 AT4 - but this has me hesitating now with with 10lbs per tire increase in weight. Not so sure I want to be the early adopter….
Sponsored