Full Tech Spec Comparison vs the Competition

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, 2017 Honda Civic, 2019.5 Chevy Silverado
So this is what the new Bronco Sport is going up against.
Ford Bronco Sport Full Tech Spec Comparison vs the Competition 1963461E-DBD3-42CF-B795-BB396BFF4C90

Ford Bronco Sport Full Tech Spec Comparison vs the Competition 187C4A2E-D421-4BF3-801A-50B99E774963

pease note the VW Tiguan SWB and Toyota Corolla Cross are not currently available in the USA
Ford Bronco Sport Full Tech Spec Comparison vs the Competition 355852C6-2F6C-4023-9821-F870063CD375

only included dyno of Jeep as comparison because it had the most power and torque next to Ford
Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Thanks!

Now... as to "what" the competition is.... (for me)....
*CVT equipped vehicles are not on "my" comparison list. (Must have AT or MT)
*Towing "must" be equal to or greater than my 2007 Mercury 3.0 V6 Mariner. which is 3500 per : https://www.edmunds.com/mercury/mariner/2007/st-100725425/features-specs/

As a "potential customer" IMHO FoMoCo has left out several vehicles that they should have included in this list, with the Honda Passport being one of them. Yes, yes, I hear some of you say that the Passport isn't in the same class as the Sport, well... for me, as a "potential customer" , it's is a Direct Competitor even with a MSRP from $32,000 to $44,000. 280HP 3.5L V6, 3500 2wd/5000 4wd Towing (properly equipped).

The Sport (Badlands) optioned out the way that I would order it is over $37,000 which also puts the Honda Passport in the mix as far as price goes for me.

Again... For me... FoMoCo has missed the mark.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, 2017 Honda Civic, 2019.5 Chevy Silverado
Thanks!

*Towing "must" be equal to or greater than my 2007 Mercury 3.0 V6 Mariner. which is 3500 per : https://www.edmunds.com/mercury/mariner/2007/st-100725425/features-specs/

As a "potential customer" IMHO FoMoCo has left out several vehicles that they should have included in this list, with the Honda Passport being one of them. Yes, yes, I hear some of you say that the Passport isn't in the same class as the Sport, well... for me, as a "potential customer" , it's is a Direct Competitor even with a MSRP from $32,000 to $44,000. 280HP 3.5L V6, 3500 2wd/5000 4wd Towing (properly equipped).

The Sport (Badlands) optioned out the way that I would order it is over $37,000 which also puts the Honda Passport in the mix as far as price goes for me.

If you wan 3500 towing and AWD you HAVE to go midsized on up. This is SubCompact. Half the cars don’t even tow.
Ford Edge AWD 2.0 with towing package can hit 3500. All for less than $35,000

Rickycardo

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Thor Hurricane RV
This is great information. Not to nit pick but the eSource Book says the Bronco Sport's competition is both the Jeep Cherokee and Compass. We should include the Cherokee's specs as well.

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Thanks!

Couple things...

My view of the "competition" are hardly any of that list, but yes, the Passport, Cherokee, Acadia AT4, even the Atlas Sport.

You can find my rundown of that comparison in other threads. But.. the TL:DR is most of the interiors suck, no 4WD, most look like bubbles.

Passport doesn't have 4WD, only AWD. It does have that larger engine, with the towing capacity, so if you really need towing, that's a strong choice.

But the Passport has the terrible mileage that comes with that big V6. (If the Atlas Sport ever actually has the V6 available, it will probably be just like a VW Passport).

I see the Sport as straddling the line between the ones on that list above, and the larger mall "SUV"s.

If you're really looking for something to tow a larger trailer, then the Passport is likely your best choice unless you go for the real big boys.

But, if you want 4WD, your only other choices besides the Sport are the Jeeps, or the Land Rover options.

But...

For me it still needs to come down to sitting in the Sport and loving it. So waiting for that. My second realistic choice is the Passport, as I really hate the Jeep interiors. I don't need to tow, and I want the 4WD, but the bigger engine of the Passport is nice.

(If I was rich, I'd already be in a Land Rover Discovery Sport, I loved sitting in that, but I greatly fear the maintenance costs on that).

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
This is great information. Not to nit pick but the eSource Book says the Bronco Sport's competition is both the Jeep Cherokee and Compass. We should include the Cherokee's specs as well.
And as The Pope suggests, the Passport, and also the Atlas Sport. Any two-row SUV really.

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
If you wan 3500 towing and AWD you HAVE to go midsized on up. This is SubCompact. Half the cars don’t even tow.
Ford Edge AWD 2.0 with towing package can hit 3500. All for less than $35,000
Especially if you want 4WD. The BL+BL makes a very different segment to compare against. A very small segment.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
Rear Leg Room of 37" -- that's not bad at all...
I confess I am struggling with the real seat leg room, listed as 36.9 inches. On the plus side, it is more than
  • Bronco 4 door (36.3 inches)
  • 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD (32.9 inches)
  • Ranger XLT and Lariat Tremor (30.4 inches)
It is less than
  • 2012 Focus Hatchback Titanium (my current car) (listed as 43.7 inches)
  • Subaru Outback 2.5i Touring (39.5 inches)
Maybe it is not the most important thing. But driving four adults to downtown Seattle was a cramped experience in my Focus. And the Focus is apparently much roomier which is hard to believe.

I dunno... just thinking a lot (cuz what else are we going to do right now! :cool: )

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
According to this article, average adults have more than enough room to sit comfortably.

My Tahoe is listed as 39 inches of rear leg room. No one (including taller people) ever complained or looked cramped. I believe 36.9 is fine.
hmmm. thanks for the perspective.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I confess I am struggling with the real seat leg room, listed as 36.9 inches. On the plus side, it is more than
It is less than
Maybe it is not the most important thing. But driving four adults to downtown Seattle was a cramped experience in my Focus. And the Focus is apparently much roomier which is hard to believe.

I dunno... just thinking a lot (cuz what else are we going to do right now! :cool: )
I’m not sure about your numbers. The 2012 focus has 33.2” of rear legroom. The ranger has 34.5” in the supercrew. Also the outback is 20” longer than the sport so it’s not even comparable. The cross trek is closer in size and it has 36.5” in the rear.

Im 6’1” and the back seat of the ranger is a bit tight but the sport has 2.5” more room so it should be bearable.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m not sure about your numbers. The 2012 focus has 33.2” of rear legroom. The ranger has 34.5” in the supercrew. Also the outback is 20” longer than the sport so it’s not even comparable. The cross trek is closer in size and it has 36.5” in the rear.

Im 6’1” and the back seat of the ranger is a bit tight but the sport has 2.5” more room so it should be bearable.
I hope you are right. I got the numbers from https://carbuzz.com which has what seem like official specs from the various products. I hope their numbers are wrong and yours are right. I guess we will see once there are demonstrators available... everything is speculation right now.

Thanks for the post!

Geelloo90042

Badlands
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport-Badlands
It is less than

If you seen this video, that guy (right) looks over 6ft. He sat behind himself, and claimed he liked the legroom.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
I hope you are right. I got the numbers from https://carbuzz.com which has what seem like official specs from the various products. I hope their numbers are wrong and yours are right. I guess we will see once there are demonstrators available... everything is speculation right now.

Thanks for the post!

Looks like everywhere else I have checked, the Focus Hatchback has 33.2" or rear legroom.
Sponsored