FordPass is watching you! Reporting your speed, G-forces, etc.

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F350, 2012 Nissan Rogue
Okay, just to clerify, all your research on this matter resulted from a single forum post? And after reading that post you came up with this?

Beware of "FordPass". Our salesman really pushed it, and now I know why. By using it you give Ford permission to Hoover up a LOT of data. Data that could be used against you by law enforcement; your MVA/DMV; your insurance company; and/or Ford.
I can't find any info to corroborate your statement that they will send data to law enforcement, the DMV, or your insurance company.

Why you think a statement like that wouldn't bring discussion is just plain silly.
Sponsored

Last edited:

andrew8404

Base
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
1) Two (or more) wrongs don't make a right. Collecting data about people without their express permission is unethical at best. In some cases people are aware, but they have no choice -- which isn't much better.

At a bare minimum, mfrs and others should allow people to "buy out" -- pay a nominal fee in exchange for their data not being collected. Nothing wrong with options.

2) There is very little comparison between what Google, a cellphone, and this website collect -- and what Ford is collecting. Speed and G-forces?! Why does Ford need to have that data? Stuff like that could come back to bite people -- a lot harder than anything Google collects.

People may say they have nothing to hide, but that's beside the point. Ford should not be collecting this data -- not ithout owners knowingly opting in, and then they should be paid for it.

Once again, not a debate, just a 'public notice'. Some people may not care but others do.
really cause google collect more info about you and sell it to just about anyone. Ford would be the least of my worries. Oh no they collect my speed what shall we ever do??

BoxerBronco

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Edge ST Line, 22 BS Badlands
Okay, just to clerify, all your research on this matter resulted from a single forum post? And after reading that post you came up with this?

I can't find any info to corroborate your statement that they will send data to law enforcement, the DMV, or your insurance company.

Why you think a statement like that wouldn't bring discussion is just plain silly.
If court ordered (subpoenaed, warrant), Ford has no choice in the matter…they hand the information over. This would obviously be in extreme cases.

There’s a thread on Mustang6g somewhere that provides instructions on disabling the transmitter…disconnecting a cable if I recall.

This being said, I’ve not worried about it on my Edge at all…

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
The first post in this thread is good and answers your question. I have no idea who the OP is, but he seems knowledgeable:
No he’s not.
There is a turn OFF toggle in the settings about gathering Info.
Seems once again no body reads the owners manual or looks at all the screens on the HUD.

Jess1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
"give people a heads up about Ford's data collection"

The entire auto industry (once VW fully integrated Porsche) does that (at the time, Porsche was the only carmaker that DIDN'T collect such data). Been that way for about 20 years, so...

Moltenburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL w prem, 360, shelf. VW Arteon
If Ford Pass grinds you this hard. You should throw your cell phone away too. Just so you know... They are tracking you in more ways than a dumb vehicle app

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
You are opting out to help support the progress of BSs. The collection data is used for assessment of the vehicles system and how it is driven. Had you had read the terms and conditions before checking the box that you had when you signed up for the ford pass app this wouldn't have been a surprise. But like most people you didn't read the fine print.
As for the speeding factor, a computer can't tell the police who was driving the car so it is just a meaningless number on a spreadsheet.
You know it seems paranoid as you mentioned already, because it is. Unless you are planning on breaking any felonies it seems like your paranoia isn't really warranted as you own a smart phone that is way worse than the data collection Ford does.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Honestly I drive like an old man. I had a chief give me a first rate ass chewing for being late when I was a young sailor, and I've been obsessively early since then, so I always leave early enough that I'm never in a hurry. Plus, driving the speed limit is so good for the mental health of those behind me...

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
If you think Ford is the only one doing this think again. Gforce data is used very frequently in crash reconstruction so its not all nefarious. As everything becomes more interconnected more and more everyday items can track you, almost as well as your cell phone. Your thermostat tracks when you're home and away. Your washer dryer and dishwasher track how frequently you use them and how much water/energy you use while using them, retailers track how often and time of day you walk into to their stores. Its a data driven world we live in now and its only going to get worse. I do get protecting ones privacy, heck I'm on a duck duck go browser...but I also have 4 google assistants in my house so you know, trade offs for convenience. I would just assume going forward if a device has any sort of internet capability, its tracking you and telling someone about it.

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
Honestly I drive like an old man. I had a chief give me a first rate ass chewing for being late when I was a young sailor, and I've been obsessively early since then, so I always leave early enough that I'm never in a hurry. Plus, driving the speed limit is so good for the mental health of those behind me...
I drive fast for my mental health ?

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
Black box recording data is collected in vehicles regardless of Fordpass.
The app just takes it a step or two (or three) further.
Owners Manual
> CTRL+F
"voice"
98 hits
Make conscious effort to keep conversations unabashedly foul, raunchy and apolitical.
Voice commands peppered with profanity :)

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Drama, I don’t allow that in my life.
Besides we all know our cell phone tracks everything we say or do and knows when we’re at the tittie bar.
:’D
Some rant, other look for ways to have fun with it. Some are simply obsessed...

Ford Bronco Sport FordPass is watching you!  Reporting your speed, G-forces, etc. dick-run-claire-gps-runnin

Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
I don't like cell phones, I'm old fashioned, I use a Flip phone that does not use Apps. It works fine with the Bluetooth hands free functions of my BS, and has WiFi for other tasks. I use a 16gb thumb for thousands of recordings, but can't use the "Ford Pass". We love our BS BL, but like some privacy as well!
Sponsored