FordPass is watching you! Reporting your speed, G-forces, etc.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Beware of "FordPass". Our salesman really pushed it, and now I know why. By using it you give Ford permission to Hoover up a LOT of data. Data that could be used against you by law enforcement; your MVA/DMV; your insurance company; and/or Ford.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/fordpass/manage-my-fordpass-account/fordpass-terms-and-conditions/

"Information We Collect:"

"Vehicle Location: Non-precise or precise location/GPS information, including current vehicle location, travel direction, speed, charging locations used (if applicable), and information about the environment where the vehicle is operated (such as weather, road segment data, trail and road surface conditions and geometry, traffic signs, and other surroundings, may be collected from the vehicle in connection with location-based functions of FordPass. Vehicle Location may also be derived from IP address.
Driving Data (may also be referred to as Driving Characteristics and Behavior): Information about how the vehicle is operated and used (such as speed, use of accelerator, brakes, steering, seat belts, etc.)."

"Audio/Visual (may also be referred to as Connected Voice Data, Digital Assistant, or Ford Assistant): Voice commands and other utterances captured when the vehicle’s voice recognition system is in “active listen” state."

"...name, email address, photo, street address, telephone number, credit card, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), and vehicle service records."

~

Supposedly, the data transmission and collection can be stopped by doing a "Master Reset":
https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/sync/sync-3/how-do-i-perform-a-sync-3-master-reset/
https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/fordpass/manage-my-fordpass-account/how-do-i-remove-a-vehicle-from-the-fordpass-app/

Performing a master reset
Start your vehicle. Ensure your vehicle is in park and running, not in accessory mode.
Press Settings on your vehicle's SYNC screen.
Choose General.
Scroll down and press Master Reset.

A message confirming that all system settings will be erased and reset to factory defaults will appear.
Press Continue.
A Resetting to factory defaults message will appear, the system will turn off and the screen will go blank. It may take a few minutes for the system to reset and resume normal operation.

~

I tried to do a reset earlier, but when I tapped "Settings" nothing happened. There was no "General" button. I'm open to any 'pro tips'.
Sponsored

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
A master reset shouldn't stop data collection. If anything I'd think it would remove any opt outs from data collection.

OP
OP
sajohnson

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A master reset shouldn't stop data collection. If anything I'd think it would remove any opt outs from data collection.
I do not trust Ford at all at this point, but they do claim (in writing) that a "Master Reset" will stop data transmission and collection. This is from an email I received from FordPass earlier today:

~

"As you requested, your vehicle has been removed from your FordPass™ App and Ford Owner account.

If your vehicle is equipped with FordPass Connect™, data from your vehicle, including location information, may continue to be sent to Ford. To deactivate vehicle data collection, perform a master reset in your vehicle by going into SYNC 3 General settings and selecting Master Reset. For more information, please see the SYNC 3 section of the owner’s manual for your vehicle."

Are you thinking that's misleading (to put it diplomatically)?

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I do not trust Ford at all at this point, but they do claim (in writing) that a "Master Reset" will stop data transmission and collection. This is from an email I received from FordPass earlier today:

~

"As you requested, your vehicle has been removed from your FordPass™ App and Ford Owner account.

If your vehicle is equipped with FordPass Connect™, data from your vehicle, including location information, may continue to be sent to Ford. To deactivate vehicle data collection, perform a master reset in your vehicle by going into SYNC 3 General settings and selecting Master Reset. For more information, please see the SYNC 3 section of the owner’s manual for your vehicle."

Are you thinking that's misleading (to put it diplomatically)?
Ah, seems it runs continually after started. That's terrible design and should have opt out options.

What functions are lost by opting out of Fordpass?

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F350, 2012 Nissan Rogue
I'm sure any info they collect would be anonymous, and used simply for analysis.

If you carry a smart phone you're also sending data to your carrier which they can use for analysis.

It's the cost of using technology that you find useful. I find use in the features of Ford Pass and I don't have anything to hide.

OP
OP
sajohnson

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
sajohnson

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure any info they collect would be anonymous, and used simply for analysis.

If you carry a smart phone you're also sending data to your carrier which they can use for analysis.

It's the cost of using technology that you find useful. I find use in the features of Ford Pass and I don't have anything to hide.
I don't have anything to hide either. In fact, the BL is for my wife. I barely drive anymore, and when I do I'm no longer the lead foot I used to be.

Whether a person has something to 'hide' is beside the point. Ford (or any other mfr) has no right to collect data -- any data -- from their customers without their express written permission. Any data collection should be "opt in".

In this case the data is NOT anonymous, it is tied to each individual.

Yes, smartphones typically report location, but a) that can be disabled, b) that is not in the same league as speed; G-forces from braking, accelerating, and steering, terrain, etc, etc., and c) 2 wrongs don't make a right.

My intent in starting this thread is to simply give people a heads up about Ford's data collection -- not start a debate about it. Some people, like yourself, are OK with it, but others appreciate knowing when they are being spied on so they can opt out.

At least the insurance companies *pay* their customers (in the form of a discount) for knowingly agreeing to have their driving habits monitored and collected. Ford doesn't pay its customers a dime. They sell the data to the highest bidder.

OP
OP
sajohnson

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems like a paranoid screed to me actually.
You had asked, "What functions are lost by opting out of Fordpass?"

His post seems to answer that question, that's the only reason I linked to it. It seems like very little downside.

It does not come across as paranoid to me, but anything in writing can be interpreted different ways.

As I said in my last post, my intent is not to start a debate -- only to inform people who may not be aware that Ford is actively collecting data that is not in their best interest.

Some people don't care. That doesn't hurt my feelings, to each their own.

Other people don't like the idea of all of that data being collected and potentially shared with their insurance company, the MVA; the police -- even Ford can use it to deny warranty claims.

In short, at least some people would say the potential harm is greater than any convenience the app might provide.

Again, this is just a notice. People can and will do whatever they want.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe it was the bold and underline of the word speed and the assumption that Ford would sell the data ti insurance companies. I didn't find anything in the post that listed what services ford provides from the program.

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
I opted in when I signed up for Ford Pass, as did everyone else who signed up. No secret here.

Mobile phones can track speed, location, distance traveled etc., just like Ford Pass... Sure not specific internal vehicle info but if you think disabling GPS saves you from such things, you'd be amazed at what they can gather as you travel from tower to tower.

There are settings in the vehicle's software that restricts some information from being collected, including a setting to enable or disable driving information that is shared with insurance companies.

OP
OP
sajohnson

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kind of like how much google, your cellphone, and this website collect about you?? Sadly privacy doesn’t exist anymore.
1) Two (or more) wrongs don't make a right. Collecting data about people without their express permission is unethical at best. In some cases people are aware, but they have no choice -- which isn't much better.

At a bare minimum, mfrs and others should allow people to "buy out" -- pay a nominal fee in exchange for their data not being collected. Nothing wrong with options.

2) There is very little comparison between what Google, a cellphone, and this website collect -- and what Ford is collecting. Speed and G-forces?! Why does Ford need to have that data? Stuff like that could come back to bite people -- a lot harder than anything Google collects.

People may say they have nothing to hide, but that's beside the point. Ford should not be collecting this data -- not ithout owners knowingly opting in, and then they should be paid for it.

Once again, not a debate, just a 'public notice'. Some people may not care but others do.

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
1) Two (or more) wrongs don't make a right. Collecting data about people without their express permission is unethical at best. In some cases people are aware, but they have no choice -- which isn't much better.
How are these companies doing this without the user's knowledge or concent? When you sign up for these things you are signing an agreement. Whether you decide to read what that agreement entails is at your personal discretion.

OP
OP
sajohnson

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe it was the bold and underline of the word speed and the assumption that Ford would sell the data ti insurance companies. I didn't find anything in the post that listed what services ford provides from the program.
I agree that -- AFAIK anyway -- there is no evidence that Ford is currently selling data to insurance companies. Had he claimed that was happening for a fact, I'd take it with a grain of salt. As it is, it seemed like he was saying it is a possibility -- which is true. Ho likely it is is another question. It seems that Ford would be shooting themselves in the foot if they began ratting their loyal customers out to their insurance companies.

In other words, while he does suggest ways in which Ford could use the data, the post appears to be mostly factual.

The last sentence from his post:

"The trade-off is that I don't get to remote-start my truck from my phone, and have to use my key like a peasant. The upside is that I can use my FordPass points to buy JS7Z-15603-A, which is a 'Remote Start Ultra-Long-Range Extender' for $30."

~

Keep in mind, we just got the Badlands yesterday. I only found out about the FordPass data collection last night and began searching for into about it and how to turn it off. I came across that post and thought it was reasonably well written and so I kept the tab open. When you asked about which functions were lost, that as the easiest thing for me to grab. Needless to say, I have no idea who the poster is, and it is a Ford Tremor forum. I imagine FordPass works the same across vehicle lines but it's possible there are differences.
Sponsored