FordPass is watching you! Reporting your speed, G-forces, etc.

Dantanman

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Beware of "FordPass". Our salesman really pushed it, and now I know why. By using it you give Ford permission to Hoover up a LOT of data. Data that could be used against you by law enforcement; your MVA/DMV; your insurance company; and/or Ford.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/fordpass/manage-my-fordpass-account/fordpass-terms-and-conditions/

"Information We Collect:"

"Vehicle Location: Non-precise or precise location/GPS information, including current vehicle location, travel direction, speed, charging locations used (if applicable), and information about the environment where the vehicle is operated (such as weather, road segment data, trail and road surface conditions and geometry, traffic signs, and other surroundings, may be collected from the vehicle in connection with location-based functions of FordPass. Vehicle Location may also be derived from IP address.
Driving Data (may also be referred to as Driving Characteristics and Behavior): Information about how the vehicle is operated and used (such as speed, use of accelerator, brakes, steering, seat belts, etc.)."

"Audio/Visual (may also be referred to as Connected Voice Data, Digital Assistant, or Ford Assistant): Voice commands and other utterances captured when the vehicle’s voice recognition system is in “active listen” state."

"...name, email address, photo, street address, telephone number, credit card, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), and vehicle service records."

~

Supposedly, the data transmission and collection can be stopped by doing a "Master Reset":
https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/sync/sync-3/how-do-i-perform-a-sync-3-master-reset/
https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/fordpass/manage-my-fordpass-account/how-do-i-remove-a-vehicle-from-the-fordpass-app/

Performing a master reset
Start your vehicle. Ensure your vehicle is in park and running, not in accessory mode.
Press Settings on your vehicle's SYNC screen.
Choose General.
Scroll down and press Master Reset.

A message confirming that all system settings will be erased and reset to factory defaults will appear.
Press Continue.
A Resetting to factory defaults message will appear, the system will turn off and the screen will go blank. It may take a few minutes for the system to reset and resume normal operation.

~

I tried to do a reset earlier, but when I tapped "Settings" nothing happened. There was no "General" button. I'm open to any 'pro tips'.
Yet they can't incorporate a dashcam? Cameras and computer capacity already there. No brainer imo. I'm sure many would gladly pay for a factory installed one. I don't like crap stuck to dash🙄
Sponsored

Reactions: MJE

Dantanman

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Whether a person has something to 'hide' is beside the point. Ford (or any other mfr) has no right to collect data -- any data -- from their customers without their express written permission. Any data collection should be "opt in".

In this case the data is NOT anonymous, it is tied to each individual.

Any data collection/sharing should be opt in but you can thank congress for making the law that requires us to opt out.
I suspect data collection was one of the driving forces (pun intended) for rolling this out as a standard feature in every virtually every model. Data is extremely valuable for many reasons including marketing and liability!

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I just wonder if/when this data would be used to deny a warranty claim. Of course you would never know that it was used for that purpose. I don't care that Ford knows where I went and when. If they use that information to determine that I was using my vehicle in an "unintended" fashion and deny a warranty claim, that is an issue for me. Yes, the "black box" is doing that in almost every vehicle but I think that only gets read after an accident (could be wrong on that).
I can tell you that there is a lot of vehicle data that can be accessed by a dealership, and can be used to deny a claim if vehicle abuse is suspected. I worked at a dealership that did this.

brianloch1974

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend

Pigpen

Outer Banks
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
Beware of "FordPass". Our salesman really pushed it, and now I know why. By using it you give Ford permission to Hoover up a LOT of data. Data that could be used against you by law enforcement; your MVA/DMV; your insurance company; and/or Ford.

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/fordpass/manage-my-fordpass-account/fordpass-terms-and-conditions/

"Information We Collect:"

"Vehicle Location: Non-precise or precise location/GPS information, including current vehicle location, travel direction, speed, charging locations used (if applicable), and information about the environment where the vehicle is operated (such as weather, road segment data, trail and road surface conditions and geometry, traffic signs, and other surroundings, may be collected from the vehicle in connection with location-based functions of FordPass. Vehicle Location may also be derived from IP address.
Driving Data (may also be referred to as Driving Characteristics and Behavior): Information about how the vehicle is operated and used (such as speed, use of accelerator, brakes, steering, seat belts, etc.)."

"Audio/Visual (may also be referred to as Connected Voice Data, Digital Assistant, or Ford Assistant): Voice commands and other utterances captured when the vehicle’s voice recognition system is in “active listen” state."

"...name, email address, photo, street address, telephone number, credit card, Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), and vehicle service records."

~

Supposedly, the data transmission and collection can be stopped by doing a "Master Reset":
https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/sync/sync-3/how-do-i-perform-a-sync-3-master-reset/
https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/fordpass/manage-my-fordpass-account/how-do-i-remove-a-vehicle-from-the-fordpass-app/

Performing a master reset
Start your vehicle. Ensure your vehicle is in park and running, not in accessory mode.
Press Settings on your vehicle's SYNC screen.
Choose General.
Scroll down and press Master Reset.

A message confirming that all system settings will be erased and reset to factory defaults will appear.
Press Continue.
A Resetting to factory defaults message will appear, the system will turn off and the screen will go blank. It may take a few minutes for the system to reset and resume normal operation.

~

I tried to do a reset earlier, but when I tapped "Settings" nothing happened. There was no "General" button. I'm open to any 'pro tips'.
One of the things they collect is vehicle location? Seems handy if the vehicle is stolen, they should know where it is, unless the thieves are tech savvy. As someone later in the thread pointed out, all the driving data, speed, hard braking, fast starts, etc., has been collected for years onboard, and is often accessed by police after accidents. If you’re not working for the cartel, I wouldn’t worry.
Sponsored