For anyone buying a BS with a small child

AWSD

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CR-V
I'm writing this as an FYI for anyone that has ordered or is thinking of ordering a BS and you have a small child in a car seat.

Today I took my family (Me, Wife, 5yr old son) to test drive a BSBL. Even though I ordered one last December, I've never had the opportunity to test drive the 2.0. The dealership was cool and let us put my son's car seat in for the test drive so we could get a feel for how our family will fit when the one we ordered comes in June.

The car seat was installed behind the passenger seat. For the first test drive, I drove with my wife as the passenger and our salesperson behind me. Upon getting in and setting the passenger seat to give my son's legs the same room we currently give him in our other cars, I was immediately shocked at how little leg room my wife had compared to our CR-V and Forester. She is 5'3" and only had 2 inches until her knees were hitting the glove box. I was like, oh crap is this even going to work, am I canceling my order. It worked but was not what we were expecting. After I was done driving, we switched with my wife driving and me in the passenger seat. I'm 6'1", so you know what I'm about to say. Holy crap, no room at all, my knees were pressed against the glove box. The only relief I got was angling my knees outward toward the center console and door. Moving the seat back wasn't an option because I would start pushing into my son's legs.

Knowing we are giving up a lot of passenger legroom getting a BS as compared to our current cars, we still decided to keep the order. Here is the important part for parents to read. My son is roughly 36lbs and is forward-facing in his car seat and still slightly reclined (which elevates his legs higher into the seat back in front of him). We are restricted at keeping him in his current recline position until he reaches 40lbs (per the car seat manufacturer booklet). Once he reaches 40lbs. we can move his car seat bottom into a more upright position, thus moving his legs down into a more natural position and giving the passenger the ability to move the seat backward and gain legroom. We tested this out after the test drive and we were able to gain 3-4 inches of legroom for the passenger. As he gets older it will only get better as he moves into a booster.

In conclusion, if you are a parent of a child in a car seat and buying a BS, I highly recommend you test drive with your full family package to ensure it will work for you. If my son was just a baby and we had 4-5 years of a baby seat behind the passenger before we get to where we were today on legroom, hell no would I be buying a BS. Luckily we only have to deal with it until he gains 4lbs. He's got until late June, time to start working out with dad and bulk up!

Sorry I didn't take any pictures, I was too giddy from finally driving the 2.0!
Sponsored

Moltenburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL w prem, 360, shelf. VW Arteon
Thank you for sharing this. Our kiddo is 17 months and I bought a Graco trio-ride bc of the ability to change seat angle rear facing or forward. This means it doesn't eat up as much front to back space. But that said this thing is thick so definitely not doing more than 1 in the back seat.

TakeTheBlack

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2020 Mazda CX-9
I was in your spot and am a bit of an expert on hauling tots. You have a problem. The Bronco Sport is actually just a Ford Escape underneath -- and the Bronco Sport is shorter.

Your little one is going to get bigger. You are going to need room for portable cribs, toys, or whatever. In a year or two you will need to be putting large coolers of juice boxes, lawn chairs and sports equipment in there. If you are thinking of a second child you would want that tow package.

Suggestion.. For the price of that Badlands you can get a brand new 2021 model Ford Edge nicely appointed (they are going fast but have insane incentives in the next week). One third of the fun, but three times the family utility. Lots of room for those legs, bags and strollers.

sorry to bum you out. But go park at the nearest YMCA on Saturday around noon. Walk around with a stroller. That s your next 9 years.

[Actually I drove a vehicle exactly like the Bronco Sport called the Nissan XTerra when I had two toddlers. My spouse drove a minivan and we were just fine. Enjoy your Bronco Sport. ]

Last edited:
OP
OP
AWSD

AWSD

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CR-V
Thank you for sharing this. Our kiddo is 17 months and I bought a Graco trio-ride bc of the ability to change seat angle rear facing or forward. This means it doesn't eat up as much front to back space. But that said this thing is thick so definitely not doing more than 1 in the back seat.
Did you test drive with everyone in the car to test your seat space?

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Wow! And I thought being the youngest in my family was tough. At least I got to ride inside the car! ?
Well, you were better off than my son. We had a Datsun (Nissan) pick up truck pre-crew cabs and two kids. My son rode in the back (it had a fiberglass cap and a rubber bed mat) but that had to suck. He never complained but we used that to take vacations pulling a pop up. Our other car was a Mustang so squashing kids in the back was standard issue for us.

Shananigans

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
What is stopping you from putting the child in the middle seat? Safer and doesn't run into the back of the seats.

OP
OP
AWSD

AWSD

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CR-V
What is stopping you from putting the child in the middle seat? Safer and doesn't run into the back of the seats.
We would lose the ability to put down the 60% rear split to fit extra gear. Need every sq ft we can get.

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
We would lose the ability to put down the 60% rear split to fit extra gear. Need every sq ft we can get.
Ah, good point. I was actually considering moving my child's car seat to the middle position because I'm running into the same problem with front passenger leg room. But I definitely don't want to lose the ability to lay down the wider of the two seat backs. Bummer.

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I drove around with two kids seats and then boosters in my mustang (s) for 7yrs. It was really only a problem when they were young enough that I had to half squeeze myself in with them to get ‘‘em in there.

they frowned upon me just tossing them in there and letting them land where they may LOL.

funny thing is that I feel I have just enough leg room in back behind my drivers seat when I test (I’m 5’11’). My 19yr old said it is too small and squashes him. He is at least 6in shorter…. Teenagers.

OP
OP
AWSD

AWSD

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Honda CR-V
I drove around with two kids seats and then boosters in my mustang (s) for 7yrs. It was really only a problem when they were young enough that I had to half squeeze myself in with them to get ‘‘em in there.

they frowned upon me just tossing them in there and letting them land where they may LOL.

funny thing is that I feel I have just enough leg room in back behind my drivers seat when I test (I’m 5’11’). My 19yr old said it is too small and squashes him. He is at least 6in shorter…. Teenagers.
I did the same test. I set the drivers seat for myself (6’1”) and then sat behind myself and had enough room. It’s just that weird angle that child seats put kids legs at that eats up valuable space. Luckily, as I mentioned in my original post, we’re at the end of the super angled car seat and will soon be able to put it completely upright to gain more space for the kiddo and passenger sitting in front.
Sponsored