Outer Banks
First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Edit: fixed on post #12
Hello everyone new here, got me a outer banks 2 weeks ago this was dealer order unfortunately had to pay dealer markup it wasn't that bad, so only 400 miles in already had to troubleshoot 2 bugs first was daylight staying on won't shut off after 10 mins and second was tailgate keyless won't unlock using the keyfob thankfully I was able to find these fixes from other members in this forum and now there is this weird flapping noise coming from the cargo area, it occurs while driving 40+mph highway roads, I jumped in the cargo I hear it in these vents on the other side too same noise see video and picture I circled in red, it does not sounds suspension issue. I did inspected underneath for loose plastic or shields didn't found anything loose. I'm thinking sending it to the dealer but anyone else have this familiar noise?

turn up volume a little bit

Ford Bronco Sport Flapping noise cargo area IMG_20210914_170713[1]

Ford Bronco Sport Flapping noise cargo area IMG_20210914_170713[1]
Sponsored

Last edited:

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
I do not hear that on my vehicle. Check for loose wheel well? Are those speaker vents or air vents? Speakers making noise?

OP
OP

Buzziant

Outer Banks
First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I do not hear that on my vehicle. Check for loose wheel well? Are those speaker vents or air vents? Speakers making noise?
Nothing behind it just a decoration vent

OP
OP

Buzziant

Outer Banks
First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Can you pop the vent off, what back there?
Sure I also found loose wheel well bolts did tighten no change same noise, second picture is behind lower vent I cant take those off
Ford Bronco Sport Flapping noise cargo area IMG_20210917_144436
Ford Bronco Sport Flapping noise cargo area IMG_20210917_144503

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Where does that vent go in the small circle? What is that in the large circle, is it flexible, "flappable"? Spit-ballin' here.

Ford Bronco Sport Flapping noise cargo area Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 8.08.12 PM

OP
OP

Buzziant

Outer Banks
First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Where does that vent go in the small circle? What is that in the large circle, is it flexible, "flappable"? Spit-ballin' here.

Ford Bronco Sport Flapping noise cargo area Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 8.08.12 PM
That it's the lower vent I can't remove only top vent I was able to remove I took this photo from top vent and looks like a foam it does move around but not something to be making flapping noises. I might take take the panel off it looks easy to remove.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
When this occurs is it possible you only have the driver door window open? If so open a rear window a crack and it’ll disappear.

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Make sure its not the seat belt on the back seat. If I drive at the speeds you’re saying with all the Windows down, the rear seatbelt will sometimes flap (in the wind against the seat quite hard)with said windows down. You can turn around and see it.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
When this occurs is it possible you only have the driver door window open? If so open a rear window a crack and it’ll disappear.
Yes or even one back window open. Close all windows and test drive…

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I found the problem.

I took mine to the dealer for this and they rotated the tires because they thought I was stupid.

The OB, for some reason, has a different set of....wait for it...
Splash guards.

As they run under the gas tank they are screwed in. But they extend to the wheel well and are not attached to anything.
They look like they should be and have depressions with holes but there's nothing to be screwed into.
Unfortunately I don't think there's anything a dealer can do because technically there isn't anything wrong.

One problem, other than the noise (which drives me nuts) is they have worn off the paint on one of the pinch weld seams. That is a problem. Especially living in NH.
Trying to figure out a solution myself but will see what the dealership has to say after having to paint these 2 tiny spots

OP
OP

Buzziant

Outer Banks
First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Thanks a lot everyone, I did found the actual flapping noise, I took the whole panel out it wasn't that hard but No need to take the entire panel out to do this, there is two quarter panel vents one located on driver side and other passenger side vents are hidden below I circled in red first picture, all I did is to move the foam inward pushing it in toward the vent yes I did cover the vent with this factory foam and for the passenger side foam sits too high up had to relocate it down, took it for a test drive and no more flapping noise.
Video shows vent flapping around but did not made any noise because I had the panel off only with panel back on it will make this noise again.

Quarter vent Location:
Ford Bronco Sport Flapping noise cargo area IMG_20210918_120241e

Before
Ford Bronco Sport Flapping noise cargo area IMG_20210918_132238

After
Ford Bronco Sport Flapping noise cargo area IMG_20210918_132301

Last edited:

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I found the problem.

I took mine to the dealer for this and they rotated the tires because they thought I was stupid.

The OB, for some reason, has a different set of....wait for it...
Splash guards.

As they run under the gas tank they are screwed in. But they extend to the wheel well and are not attached to anything.
They look like they should be and have depressions with holes but there's nothing to be screwed into.
Unfortunately I don't think there's anything a dealer can do because technically there isn't anything wrong.

One problem, other than the noise (which drives me nuts) is they have worn off the paint on one of the pinch weld seams. That is a problem. Especially living in NH.
Trying to figure out a solution myself but will see what the dealership has to say after having to paint these 2 tiny spots
How did they wear the paint off the pinch welds? Too big of tires on it? Thats a bad exposed spot especially up here in the northeast with all the salt we use. Put some por15 on the exposed welds; it'll never rust.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
How did they wear the paint off the pinch welds? Too big of tires on it? Thats a bad exposed spot especially up here in the northeast with all the salt we use. Put some por15 on the exposed welds; it'll never rust.
Their made of the same material as the wheel wells. As soon as you hit 30 mph they start moving and just the constant rubbing/movement wore the paint down to the metal. I've put about 12,000 miles on mine.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Their made of the same material as the wheel wells. As soon as you hit 30 mph they start moving and just the constant rubbing/movement wore the paint down to the metal. I've put about 12,000 miles on mine.
Wow.....that seems like poor design there. I have 12000+ miles as well; no rubbing or movement in said areas. I would go back to the dealer; doesn't seem right to me.
Sponsored