Favorite Overland Wheels for BS?

Babybronc21

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport First Edition
Getting ready to drop some $$ for new tires but seriously thinking about some sweet overland wheels. So, what’s your favorite brand …method, fuel, vr forged, black rhino to name a few: and why - I know some of you have new wheels so share your stories and why you went with them. Also thinking on going slightly wider and on road may be nice but off-road thinner/stock width may be best.
Sponsored

RayBS

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Getting ready to drop some $$ for new tires but seriously thinking about some sweet overland wheels. So, what’s your favorite brand …method, fuel, vr forged, black rhino to name a few: and why - I know some of you have new wheels so share your stories and why you went with them. Also thinking on going slightly wider and on road may be nice but off-road thinner/stock width may be best.
Just did my upgrade on Tuesday from Stock Ford Wheels/Pirelli Scorpion 225/65/17 - Fuel average was 25.6
Now Black Rhino Boxers (wanted the Arches out of stock), FalkenAT3W 235/65/17 up one size - Fuel showing 25.3 at 200 miles. Need more time.
Big difference with the look along with more confidence in rain and snow past few days.

Ford Bronco Sport Favorite Overland Wheels for BS? IMG_0311

Ford Bronco Sport Favorite Overland Wheels for BS? IMG_0714

jhnvan

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
For me it was more about what i could get locally. But thankfully i found one of the brands i wanted. Motegi wheels with pirelli scorpion all terrain plus in 245-65-17. I didn't go with a wider wheels because i wanted me sidewall exposed to help protect the wheels from scrapes
Ford Bronco Sport Favorite Overland Wheels for BS? 1000004076

OP
OP
Babybronc21

Babybronc21

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just did my upgrade on Tuesday from Stock Ford Wheels/Pirelli Scorpion 225/65/17 - Fuel average was 25.6
Now Black Rhino Boxers (wanted the Arches out of stock), FalkenAT3W 235/65/17 up one size - Fuel showing 25.3 at 200 miles. Need more time.
Big difference with the look along with more confidence in rain and snow past few days.

Ford Bronco Sport Favorite Overland Wheels for BS? IMG_0311

Ford Bronco Sport Favorite Overland Wheels for BS? IMG_0714
Wow what a difference that makes. Falkens are a great tire!! I have looked at those wheels too and appreciate the black but after having a few sets of black BBS on other cars I’m not sure I could handle cleaning all the nooks. Beautiful wheel though!! Totally changed the look of your ride 🙌🏼

OP
OP
Babybronc21

Babybronc21

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For me it was more about what i could get locally. But thankfully i found one of the brands i wanted. Motegi wheels with pirelli scorpion all terrain plus in 245-65-17. I didn't go with a wider wheels because i wanted me sidewall exposed to help protect the wheels from scrapes
Ford Bronco Sport Favorite Overland Wheels for BS? 1000004076
Very nice pic! I think that’s a great call on the wheel size. 17.s 245/65 seem to be the sweet spot especially for on and off road capabilities while looking great too. Will be interested in how you like the pirellis. I’m running falkens and probably will get the new AT4W. Lots of choices. Mortegi wheels… didn’t consider them but will check em out now Thank you 👍

jhnvan

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
Yeah price on the motegi wheels was reasonable and they are easy to clean.

I like the pirelli tires so far but for the type of offroading i do, I'll have to go with a heavier tire with a thicker sidewall. General offroading and driving they have been really good. Very quiet on the pavement and have performed really well in wet trail conditions

BoxerBronco

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Edge ST Line, 22 BS Badlands
Went with the Black Rhino Arches with BFG Trail Terrain T/A…very happy with the results! Mulled over many options and in the end, these won out.
Ford Bronco Sport Favorite Overland Wheels for BS? IMG_0478

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
If I were going to spring for new wheels, I'd go with 16" rims so I could run 235/70' R16s or even 235 /75 R16s. More rubber between you and the bumps equals a smoother ride offroad, and is even noticable in town on our rough roads. The tradeoff is that a heavier tire reduces your gas mileage.

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
If I were going to spring for new wheels, I'd go with 16" rims so I could run 235/70' R16s or even 235 /75 R16s. More rubber between you and the bumps equals a smoother ride offroad, and is even noticable in town on our rough roads. The tradeoff is that a heavier tire reduces your gas mileage.
If going down to 16's, I'd check to make sure they are able to clear the brakes. Cheers!

jhnvan

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
16 inch wheels will have to be steel rims

OP
OP
Babybronc21

Babybronc21

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eying some Fuel, Method and Relations Race Wheels. Wish i could get a set for each season.

jhnvan

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco sport
Caliper won't clear aluminum wheels. Or almost all of them

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
I purchased my bronco sport Badlands specifically to take off road and do so an average of once a month, since I purchased my car, at the end of July 2022, and the subjects of wheels and tires are near and deer to my heart. I see there being a difference between Overlanding and offloading, although there is certainly some overlap. I think of Overlanding as long-distance multi day trips, as in four or more days and for most of that time, not particularly close to any help other than what you carry or people you may be traveling with. In that case, there is a good argument for steel wheels, extremely durable tires, and possibly more than one spare, especially if you are on alloy wheels and/or mediocre tires. The advantage of steel wheels is that if you hit something so hard as to bend the wheel, you can frequently knock enough of the bend out with a hammer that it will continue to hold air, where as, an alloy wheel will most likely crack, unless it is exceptionally strong.

I have posted several threads mentioning good wheels, some on sale, and some at closeout prices. The first set of wheels I purchased were the alpha foxtrots, which are 17 x 7 1/2 and weigh 27.6 pounds. So they are not light, but they are strong, with a load rating of 2650 pounds. They are still available at closeout pricing and four colors. There are, of course, other good choices, one of them being the RRW, RR5- S, which I also think is good looking and is/was available at closeout pricing.
For my most recent purchase, I wanted to try something different and I went with method MR 707 bead grip wheels in a 16 x 7, +30, with a 245/70/16 Nokian Outpost nAT because I wanted to try a 16 inch wheel, which I already knew of at least two other examples that fit. The advantage of the 16 inch wheel is it gives me a half inch more sidewall, to protect my wheels, which is important for Overlanding or offloading. The disadvantage of these particular wheels is that they are not what I think of as particularly strong, with a load rating of 1850 pounds, I would consider them adequate, where, as many wheels out there will have a load rating of 1600 to 1700 pounds. They are, however, extremely light, at 17.6 pounds, and in combination with the taller sidewalls and the bead grip technology, I was willing to give them a shot. The wheels themselves clear the calipers and the spokes, of the wheel, by about the thickness, of my little finger. The tires themselves, are extremely close to rubbing, which I consider to be mostly the change in offset, from my +35 foxtrots to my +30 method, as the tire I have on the foxtrot's is the slightly larger in diameter, Mickey Thompson, Baja A/T, which has a spec diameter of 29.8 inches and the outpost’s are 29.5”. I would not have thought that little change, in offset, would make as much difference as it did, with the new tires and wheels, clearing the felt liner at the back of the wheel well by only the thickness of a few sheets of paper, at full lock, and maximum wheel, articulation, where, as previously, It looked to have a quarter inch of clearance. I'll also mention I have the Flatout GR+, coilovers, which do have more travel and I'm lifted 2".
Ford Bronco Sport Favorite Overland Wheels for BS? 1705457419343
Ford Bronco Sport Favorite Overland Wheels for BS? 1705457308386
Ford Bronco Sport Favorite Overland Wheels for BS? IMG_2621
Ford Bronco Sport Favorite Overland Wheels for BS? IMG_2623
Ford Bronco Sport Favorite Overland Wheels for BS? IMG_2602
Ford Bronco Sport Favorite Overland Wheels for BS? IMG_2170
Ford Bronco Sport Favorite Overland Wheels for BS? IMG_2130
Ford Bronco Sport Favorite Overland Wheels for BS? IMG_2136
Ford Bronco Sport Favorite Overland Wheels for BS? IMG_2058
Ford Bronco Sport Favorite Overland Wheels for BS? IMG_1926
Sponsored

Last edited: