Extended Warranty/Service Plan - aftermarket vs Ford

gman62

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Outer Banks Edition
I got mine cancelled. Rather than refunding the previous warranty with a check they're going to credit the money (sans sales tax of course,) toward my loan, which will enable me to pay the loan off 5 months earlier than previously expected... I'm going to make a call to my mechanic on Monday to get a ballpark quote on a timing belt job on the little thing and then decide if I want to carry a warranty longer or bank the extra money toward the maintenance...

I'm certain though, that with all of the ridiculous tech even in the Base, that I'm gonna have to carry the PremiumCARE.

We're all gonna get there, but the important thing is to inform our circles to pass on these warranties at purchase.
Wait...your warranty is with a third party, your loan is with another third party Bank and the dealer is going to cancel the warranty and take the money to apply to your loan? you better watch this one closely.
Sponsored

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
Wait...your warranty is with a third party, your loan is with another third party Bank and the dealer is going to cancel the warranty and take the money to apply to your loan? you better watch this one closely.
No, my new warranty is with Ford through a different dealer. My loan is through my local Ford associated Credit union.

The original dealer just mailed a check to the credit union less a $75 processing fee. Took 2 weeks, no worries.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Well I drank the Kool Aid when buying this vehicle - and I am now having "buyers remorse" when it comes to the warranty. I let finance add the extended warranty that is sold by Assurant/First Extended Service Corp and then started looking into it yesterday to realize I should have just insisted on the Ford ESP and thrown the money that way.

The current plan is $2495 with a $50 deductible for 6 years/84k miles. I looked at Ziegler and Lombard Ford ESPs and saw I can end up with zero deductible for 6 years/125k miles for the same price with the rental and LED and key service options.

My question is - who here has dealt with canceling one warranty for another? I am thinking of calling the Dealership but feel like those idiots will just try to play the same sales pitch again. Should I just call the extended warranty company and demand a refund and throw it towards Lombard/Ziegler?
I never buy the extended warranty......usually if anything happens after your powertrain and factory warranty wears out I doubt you will have a repair around $2500 as long as the vehicle hasn't been abused and properly maintained. The extended warranty is a way for the finance department to make money for the dealership

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiguan
TIP: Some states require auto manufactures to extend the warranty of some items. CA & WA are the two I know of and there are others. Just not sure which.

The turbo failed on my '12 VW Tiguan.....while research this issue, I found the information on a VW users forum. Next day after dropping the car off, the VW service writer said the turbo replacement was going to cost $3800 installed. I asked why this wasn't under covered under warranty, he then quoted the normal/standard factory warranty terms. I told him it was covered under warranty as required by state law. He called back a day later and said I was correct :)

Knowledge is power.

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
For those with GEICO auto insurance, you can add their 'mechanical breakdown insurance' before 15,000 miles or 15 months. It's good for 7 years/100k miles and (in my experience) cheaper than extended warranties -- if you intend to stick with GEICO the whole time. I also like that it's a regulated insurance product.

Cons: can't 'wait' until the end of the factory warranty like you can with Ford ESP, only goes to 7 years/100k miles, $250 deductible is the only option.

YMMV, do your own research, etc. but could be worth it for you.

Last edited:

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I have a call in to the Finance Manager at my dealership to ask why I was offered only an aftermarket and not a factory option - and why based on my driving habits (nearly 20k a year) I was only offered 6 years/84k miles. He is apparently out for eye surgery but I am sure to get an answer one way or another. I feel like the dude working with me just wanted to go home at the end of the day and I was holding him up...
You invested a lot of money, get what you want/need/deserve. That's business weather they like it or not.

RLader

Outer Banks
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Well I drank the Kool Aid when buying this vehicle - and I am now having "buyers remorse" when it comes to the warranty. I let finance add the extended warranty that is sold by Assurant/First Extended Service Corp and then started looking into it yesterday to realize I should have just insisted on the Ford ESP and thrown the money that way.

The current plan is $2495 with a $50 deductible for 6 years/84k miles. I looked at Ziegler and Lombard Ford ESPs and saw I can end up with zero deductible for 6 years/125k miles for the same price with the rental and LED and key service options.

My question is - who here has dealt with canceling one warranty for another? I am thinking of calling the Dealership but feel like those idiots will just try to play the same sales pitch again. Should I just call the extended warranty company and demand a refund and throw it towards Lombard/Ziegler?
Bought April 17 and went in on May 1 to cancel per contract. The finance guy said no it had to be paid for prior to cancelling. Should have been paid at that time but I left dealer to return May 19 to cancel. They said okay and all they needed was my name and VIN # and they would take care of it. I have already replaced warranty. Did so before cancelling original contract which was for ten years, new one is for five and less than half of original.

RLader

Outer Banks
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I didn't buy the extended bumper to bumper warranty, but seeing how Ford's warranty is only 36month/36,000 miles I'm kinda worried that I didn't. LOL Why is Ford's warranty so bad compared to others?
That has been the standard for Ford for decades. The five year power train is newer, it used to be included in the 3 year/ 36,000 mile bumper to bumper. I got the extended warranty for five years which in reality it will only be for two years on everything but the power train.

RLader

Outer Banks
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The bumper to bumper is 3 yrs/36K miles. The powertrain warranty is longer.

You don't have to purchase the extended warranty when you purchase the vehicle. You have till the end of the first warranty. Just get the extended before the original expires. Shop around for the best prices. Doesn't matter which Ford dealer you buy it from as long as it's the Ford extended warranty. If you get rid of the car before the extended is done you get a rebate for the amount of time/miles that's unused. I always get the ESP. Anything goes wrong it's $50 at any Ford service center.

I've found all most of those other non-Ford companies do is argue with the repair facility about the cost and using quality parts. Puts you in a bad position and often makes the repairs take longer. I learned early in life not to piss off your dentist or the guy that's repairing your car.
Or waitress!

Renee Soss

Outer Banks
First Name
Renee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Outer Banks

YES!
If I am correct, you should get all of your money back. I would call the dealer first as they mark up the price some, and you want all your money back.
Also, Granger Ford, is offering $50 over cost. Search broncosportforum thread for extended service ....

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Has anyone found good pricing available in Canada for Ford extended warranties? The Granger deal is just awesome, but only available in the US.

gcbroncosport

Outer Banks
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ditto to the post above on Geico's warranty plan. Quite a bit cheaper (and apparently good with their service/support). That said, still deciding b/w Geico or the Ford ESP. Flood Ford (online) seems to have the best ESP rates (very easy to get a quote). Dealer purchased from did quote around $2.5k for a 8yr/100k PremiumCare with free oil changes thrown in for the term - pretty good deal but dealer was too far away to be my regular service place.

NEFKANO

Badlands
First Name
NEFTALI
Threads
Reaction score
Website
neftalicano.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Call me gullible, but I went for the 5yr/100K bumper to bumper from Ford for $1999
Don't feel bad about this. I also purchased an extended warranty and made sure it was from Ford as opposed from a 3rd party... too many horror stories when using a non-Ford warranty. In my case Ford premium for 84 most/100K miles and $100 ded. Paid $1950 and yes purchased at get-go to have rolled into my financing as opposed to me saving up and spending that much or possibly more before the end of the 36month warranty.

With many repairs running into the multiple thousands of dollars and with all the modern tech in todays cars much less this Bronco... I think "we" did the prudent thing.

Of course for those that plan on trading in their vehicles at/or before 36 months , well then buying any extended warranty would not be called for.

HomePeace

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Big Bend
I got suckered into an 8 year / 100k with $100 deductible for $3895. This was after they showed me the Ford Protect ESP brochure. I get home and the contract said First Protect from Assurant. Called up Granger on Monday (3 days after) and had my Ford ESP 8/100k/$100 for $1840 with fobs, lights, rental included. This was April 15th vehicle purchase, April 18th Cancellation of First Protect, April 19th Ford ESP and April 20th ESP was in my FordPass app already. I should have just bought my car from Granger and driven it back home across half the country lol.
Sponsored