johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4
hello, has anyone else driven the BS 1.5 uphill for extended time? I feel like the computer doesnt downshift to give torque.
Sponsored

ltelmo

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1 Heritage and 1 Outer banks
Only thing I can say is my wife 2020 escape had same powertrain and when we went to TN sport mode was your friend. It downshifted on steep grades and hardly had to brake and uphills were easy also. So I assume the bronco would be similar.

OP
OP
johnardsg

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see, sport mode seems like it’s taking a while to downshift and something smells burning during uphill with sport mode for me :(...im at 55mph which should be easy, maybe it will change with more mileage

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
A lot of people have reported smelling something burning on highway trips when their BS is new. It is coatings burning off the engine/exhaust from what others have reported and goes away after more miles.

Bigridge83

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport,’18 Ford Fiesta,’92 Ford Explorer
We took ours up to the nc mountains this last weekend. It only had 300 miles on it, and being my wife’s, I’m sure she had been putting around in it. Needless to say, once we reached the top of the mountain the exhaust system definitely had the new burnt off! It pulled the mountain pretty easily. All in all I was pretty impressed, I definitely think the sport is best for mountain driving, it seemed normal wanted to shift in too high a gear for pulling hills

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I found that after a while I subconsciously learned how to drive it to the best of its abilities.

OP
OP
johnardsg

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i drive it like with a manual, rev here/there sudden jump with sport mode.
i just love the sound the engine & turbo makes when you rev it intermitently.
i bet the 2.0L sounds louder (maybe i should try a test drive from a different dealer) hehe

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
We took ours up to the nc mountains this last weekend. It only had 300 miles on it, and being my wife’s, I’m sure she had been putting around in it. Needless to say, once we reached the top of the mountain the exhaust system definitely had the new burnt off!
If you went over Black Mountain, that is a good climb for a new vehicle.

Bigridge83

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco Sport,’18 Ford Fiesta,’92 Ford Explorer
If you went over Black Mountain, that is a good climb for a new vehicle.
Yeah black mountain will pull the sap out of a vehicle for sure. We went up 421 to boone. Pretty good pull but not black mountain lol

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
This is my first car with automatic. I noticed going uphill and giving more gas doesn't increase the rpm. You really need to floor it for it to downshift. This vague relation between accelerator and engine is something to get used to. Not knowing what gear I'm in is annoying.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
There is a "LOW" on the Shifting Knob , not sure what it will shift into as far as how far your speed is , but the only time I have used it so far was in loose Sand on the beach & it was low , I forgot to reset it getting back on pavement & it never shifted out of "LOW" & I got up to 40-45 MPH , the Engine RPM let me know it was still engaged .
What it will shift into at , say 45MPH , I cant say .

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Extended driving in mountains, especially at high altitude, makes the case for buying a Badlands with more torque and the ability to shift manually. I haven't used the paddle shifters except to try them out and so far not impressed by them. The transmission is sloppy and lazy in manual shift or automatic. Something Ford should improve. In a couple of weeks we'll be out in Northern NM and will get an opportunity to really try them out. Going down long downhill roads in the mountains is also a case for the ability to downshift manually and save your brakes.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Manual reads you can shift into "Low" anytime , just don't keep it engaged .I have never tried it at speed , but I would think you only shift or engage it when needed & I don't think they mean @ 65 MPH !

rickmorton

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
hello, has anyone else driven the BS 1.5 uphill for extended time? I feel like the computer doesnt downshift to give torque.
We were coming back from a short trip the other day and while going 75 on the interstate, came to a rather mild uphill climb. The BS went from 75 to 60 in a matter of a few seconds. I pressed the accelerator and nothing. Pressed harder and it finally shifted and got back up to speed. The car has NO power. Period. I drive almost all the time in Sport mode just so I can merge into traffic from an on ramp. Anyone want to buy a 6 month old Outer Banks?

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
We were coming back from a short trip the other day and while going 75 on the interstate, came to a rather mild uphill climb. The BS went from 75 to 60 in a matter of a few seconds. I pressed the accelerator and nothing. Pressed harder and it finally shifted and got back up to speed. The car has NO power. Period. I drive almost all the time in Sport mode just so I can merge into traffic from an on ramp. Anyone want to buy a 6 month old Outer Banks?
The 1.5 is enough power. The electronics really get in the way of you getting to use it.
Sponsored