Zolutar

Outer Banks
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB+, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
The 2.0L engine should have been an option for the outer banks trim. Ford missed the mark here. Period. Everything optional is tied to a "package"
The lack of configurable options has me hesitating. I don't want the badlands off-road as this will be a daily driver on the mountain roads, not to mention the ugly brown interior, but not often off-road.
The 1.5L will be ok, but after having the 2L in our '17 Escape it is replacing, will be a disappointment.
And in Canada we don't even have access to the First edition, so that option wasn't even there either..
Sponsored

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
I test drove the Ford Escape with both the 1.5 and the 2.0 and I found the 1.5 was better than expected. I'm not sure jumping to the next trim level for the engine is worth it especially when I like the overall Outland trim level.

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, 2017 Honda Civic, 2019.5 Chevy Silverado
I agree that the 2.0 should have been an option for OB but look at the 1.5 vs Jeep 2.4

it’s already ALMOST best in class with the 1.5... Mazda CX30 has a BIT more power
Ford Bronco Sport Engine "Options" 8A81C53E-604D-4BA4-B8DE-E5EC891FF47F

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
For those who don't want to go for a BL this year but want the 2.0L: I REALLY think (and hope) that it would be best to wait until late 2021 and buy a 2022 model, because Ford WILL hear (and listen to) feedback and very probably the 2.0L will make its way down to at least the OB trim as an option, or perhaps even standard. I mean, the segment that will buy the Sport is a segment that does place comfort/convenience as a higher priority than the "real" Bronco shoppers: AND the OB is THE trim they would want. If they become vocal enough about the lack of 2L in the OB, I am sure it will happen in 2022 models. This usually the case in general, not just Ford or a specific model.
- Not to mention the advantages of the inevitable 1st year kinks having been ironed out for the 2nd model year. So even IF you don't get the 2L in the OB, you will still have a more reliable OB in a 2022 model.
in my case: I just hope the windshield wiper de-icer will be available as as option or become standard in the BL trim. That's the only thing I want from the OB trim.

Last edited:

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
For those who don't want to go for a BL this year but want the 2.0L: I REALLY think (and hope) that it would be best to wait until late 2021 and buy a 2022 model, because Ford WILL hear (and listen to) feedback and very probably the 2.0L will make its way down to at least the OB trim as an option, or perhaps even standard.
If they become vocal enough about the lack of 2L in the OB, I am sure it will happen in 2022 models. This usually the case in general, not just Ford or a specific model.
Waiting may be the best option for me.

As for being vocal, I've stated my case repeatedly regarding my frustration with the option packaging for the Bronco Sport.

Online forums are a great place to share enthusiasm and excitement for a new vehicle. I don't want to dampen that for others by repeatedly posting my disappointment over the Bronco Sport configurations , ad nau·se·am.

There are several of us on this forum who have expressed frustrations over the option/powertrain configurations, hopefully Ford has taken note.

I'll be following the Bronco Sport, albeit somewhat more passively. Hopefully, it will prove to be a great vehicle.

2Horse

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Related to the two engine options, I noticed that the interior space is somewhat different for vehicles equipped with the 1.5L versus the 2.0L and those with the 2.0 have less space in certain measurements. What would the reason be for this? Is the firewall pushed back to accommodate the "massive" 2.0?

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
Waiting may be the best option for me.

I'll be following the Bronco Sport, albeit somewhat more passively. Hopefully, it will prove to be a great vehicle.
If you can wait, that's great...

Other thing to remember is... what else is on the market? While I'd certainly like the 2.3 engine, looking at what else is out there.. Don't want to buy a last model year Jeep. Onyx Crosstrek would be great if it wasn't for the CVT.. 60k+ for a LR.. anything else in the same ballpark? Not really.

So.. I'm leaning more towards the Sport in Spring of next year. I don't think there's anything else that's going to be close enough while being in a reasonable price range.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
If you can wait, that's great...

Other thing to remember is... what else is on the market? While I'd certainly like the 2.3 engine, looking at what else is out there.. Don't want to buy a last model year Jeep. Onyx Crosstrek would be great if it wasn't for the CVT.. 60k+ for a LR.. anything else in the same ballpark? Not really.

So.. I'm leaning more towards the Sport in Spring of next year. I don't think there's anything else that's going to be close enough while being in a reasonable price range.
Regarding the Crosstrek:
Not the trim level you want, but the Crosstrek Premium still offers a manual in lieu of the CVT.

Back to the Sport:
I can wait, my '18 Colorado only has 27K miles, and my '16 CX-5 has about 48K on it. The miles don't pile on as fast spreading them across two vehicles. That said, I was hoping to consolidate back to one vehicle, and that may well happen.

The Bronco Sport has a lot of things lost from other modern compact SUVs, like the boxy shape. I have never been able to haul the same amount in the CX-5 as my old Escape, even though the cargo volume on the CX-5 is rated for ~5 more cubic feet. Unless you're hauling bean bags, the curvy shapes of the jellybean crossovers don't have the same utility. The independently-opening liftgate glass is another great feature lost from the jellybean CUVs. So, the Bronco Sport is basically the vehicle I've been waiting on, I'm just hoping Ford will sort out the options and maybe offer better powerplant options.

The icing on the cake would be a manual option. Not expecting that one, but it would certainly separate the Bronco from the grocery-getter pack and truly establish it as king of the compact SUV market. And truly an outdoor enthusiast's vehicle, worthy of the Bronco name.

Last edited:

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
If you choose badlands trim AND add the "Badlands package" it includes heated power seat for BOTH sides, from what I understand. And Badlands trim automatically gets the 2.0L engine. However, you can't get the carpeted floor.
(and no - just choosing the Badlands TRIM doesn't get you the stuff included in the Badlands PACKAGE - it's really confusing. The trim does add some more standard stuff on top of Outer Banks, but to get the luxury stuff that the OB trim has, you have to add the badlands package TO the badlands TRIM -weird)

And I agree - the 2.0L engine should be optional for lower trims. With the FEs sold out, the lineup consists of only ONE trim level to get the 2.0L - that's stupid.
I am interested in badlands BUT I am afraid they will add the 2.3L engine in 2022.... That would be a regret.
they obviously did this to push you towards the more expensive Badlands trim. I agree it’s a stupid move especially since on the Ford Escape they make the 2.0 available on lower trims. I'm drawn to the Outland’s trim but like you would opt for the better engine if given a choice.
Sponsored