Downside of driving in 4wd lock full time?

bgomez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I have a badlands, what is the downside of driving in 4wd lock full time?

While driving in normal, I notice there is significant torque steer when accelerating out of a turn. If the 4wd lock button is selected, the torque steer is minimized since more power is sent to the rear. Besides the mpg hit, is there a downside of always driving in normal mode with 4wd lock selected?

Sorry if this was asked already, I tried searching first.
Sponsored

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB

While driving in normal, I notice there is significant torque steer when accelerating out of a turn. If the 4wd lock button is selected, the torque steer is minimized since more power is sent to the rear. Besides the mpg hit, is there a downside of always driving in normal mode with 4wd lock selected?

Watch this video. I don't think it's advisable to run 4wd lock full time.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Note: Do not use the four-wheel drive lock, the rear differential lock or off-road selectable drive modes on dry, hard surfaced roads. Doing so can produce excessive noise, increase tire wear and may damage drive components. These features are only intended for consistently slippery or loose surfaces. Operating your vehicle outside of these conditions could subject the vehicle to excessive stress, which may result in damage not covered under your warranty.
The above is out of the owner's manual found here: Four Wheel Drive

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser

Owners manual says NO. Any problems caused by doing so are no covered by warranty. All 4x4s I have owned say same. You can damage car.

Ford Bronco Sport Downside of driving in 4wd lock full time? FDF1A1FF-1D83-4A50-BBA5-36BDF1A6E4BE

Bluebaru

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands, 2019 VW GTI Rabbit ed. 03 JCW MCS
Owners manual says NO. Any problems caused by doing so are no covered by warranty. All 4x4s I have owned say same. You can damage car.

Ford Bronco Sport Downside of driving in 4wd lock full time? FDF1A1FF-1D83-4A50-BBA5-36BDF1A6E4BE
Seems a little odd to me as I thought they were based on the unit out of the Focus RS but I guess it could be a down graded version. Got to go by the manual in any case, for warranty.

Last edited:

OP
OP

bgomez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Well I guess my question is answered then. Thanks everyone. I am assuming the best way to avoid torque steer would be sport mode.

AllTerrain

Badlands
First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Broncosports have power to all four wheels when they take off from a stop. Even on the street even in normal mode and then the power transfers to both front wheels.
you can look on the Badlands Monitor and it will show you.

Starts to transfer the power from the back wheels to the front wheels as you're going like 35 miles an hour or so.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I concur, the owners manual says not to do it.

JerryC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 BII , 2021 BL on order 3-19-21
I'll try not to get too far into the weeds.
On an axle unless the tires are same rolling diameter there needs to be a way to slow the difference in distance traveled. You have the same situation when turning as the outside tire will travel more distance. The differential on the axle is what allows to happen, an unlocked differential that is. If the differential is locked then something has to give, traction loss or hardware.

The BS has a differential between the front and rear axles, locking this has the same effect as above. Now the front axle speed must be the same as the rear axle speed, if not then something has to give. Again, traction or hardware.

Driving with center differential locked on dry pavement is eventually going to damage the differential as it has no give. In the BS this is a clutch that did the locking and will wear out as it is the point that gives under stress.

I hope I have this correct and I expect and appreciate others who know better and will comment

Last edited:

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
If you have to accelerate out of a turn ease the pedal down and as it straightens out then push pedal further down if you want. Don't stomp it down and you won't get torque steer. The 2.0 don't need much gas pedal to get it going quick.

I am an ex SRT-4 driver for 11 years got tired of wrestling steering wheel just barely dodging curbs trees telephone poles ect.

Idontknow

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cross trek and grand caravan
I'll try not to get too far into the weeds.
On an axle unless the tires are same rolling diameter there needs to be a way to slow the difference in distance traveled. You have the same situation when turning as the outside tire will travel more distance. The differential on the axle is what allows to happen, an unlocked differential that is. If the differential is locked then something has to give, traction loss or hardware.

The BS has a differential between the from and rear axles, locking this has the same effect as above. Now the front axle speed must be the same as the rear axle speed, if not then something has to give. Again, traction or hardware.

Driving with center differential locked on dry pavement is eventually going to damage the differential as it has no give. In the BS this is a clutch that did the locking and will wear out as it is the point that gives under stress.

I hope I have this correct and I expect and appreciate others who know better and will comment
accurate
Sponsored