Do 255/55R18 109H tires fit the 2023 Bronco Sport Badlands?

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I'm not aware of any OEMs that use wheels with centering rings.
OEMs have the luxury/power to define the size of these things. Aftermarket companies have to be a little more versatile. That usually means they make the hub ring size as large as they can, so that hub ring adapters can be used to allow them to fit as many different car models as possible.

Again, a wheel having that has the hub ring diameter that is needed machined directly into it is the best option. However, that does not mean that a hub ring by definition is a bad thing. It can be a bad thing when it isn't a quality part. I have used both plastic and metal hub rings without issue, but that is not to say that issues do not exist.
Sponsored

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
I think it should be fine. The diameter is less than the limit of 29.5", above which some rub in the front can happen with some compression and the wheel turned. The extra width should also be fine. There doesn't seem to be much issue with wider tires. Lots of 245 width tires have gone on (mine included) and there is nothing close to rubbing, so adding another 10mm to the width should be fine. I know that there is at least one person on here that has installed a 255 width tire.

TireSize.com

Ford Bronco Sport Do 255/55R18 109H tires fit the 2023 Bronco Sport Badlands? 1693398938976

Actually the limit is 30", I have seen 30.5"fit but it seems to be an individual fit. Some fit at that size, some don't.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually the limit is 30", I have seen 30.5"fit but it seems to be an individual fit. Some fit at that size, some don't.
Was the tire, or tires, that fit specified at 30" or measured at 30"? The two can be very different, leading people to believe that a larger tire will fit, because of the specification, even though the tire actually measures smaller.

The limit of a measured tire is really somewhere between 29.5" and 30", based on experiences of other people on the forum. The 29.5" suggested limit is to account for the variation in specifications.

Reactions: Jrl

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Was the tire, or tires, that fit specified at 30" or measured at 30"?
Maybe @Jrl can answer. He's running 245235/70R17 Goodyear Wranglers on his. I don't know if he's taken measurements, but the tire is specified as 30 inches in diameter.

EDIT: @Jrl corrected me; see below.

Last edited:

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
Maybe @Jrl can answer. He's running 245/70R17 Goodyear Wranglers on his. I don't know if he's taken measurements, but the tire is specified as 30 inches in diameter.
Actually I am running 235/70/17 that are in fact 30 inch .

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah. Gotcha. Did you hand measure, or are you going by the spec?
That is a hand measure , but the tire specs are right on the money. I know it is within a 1/4 or maybe 3/8 from the wheel well. But could not be happier about the looks and ride .
Ford Bronco Sport Do 255/55R18 109H tires fit the 2023 Bronco Sport Badlands? IMG_0819

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While diameter is a primary contributor, width is also a factor. Since @Jrl went with 235, that does help a bit with clearance on a true 30” tall tire.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While diameter is a primary contributor, width is also a factor. Since @Jrl went with 235, that does help a bit with clearance on a true 30” tall tire.
Eric I actually did have a 245/70/17 that was specified at 30.6 , no way that is fitting on a badlands without scraping wheel well, on lock to lock ,unless you make a modification to the wheel well. . Agree max size is 29.5 to 30 inch actual specs.Car and driver says ford tells them that max is 31 , but there is no way that is accurate.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Eric I actually did have a 245/70/17 that was specified at 30.6 , no way that is fitting on a badlands without scraping wheel well, on lock to lock ,unless you make a modification to the wheel well. . Agree max size is 29.5 to 30 inch actual specs.Car and driver says ford tells them that max is 31 , but there is no way that is accurate.
This is one Car & Driver article about the Bronco Sport.

The article is dated so be aware may not be 100% accurate info (2/11/21). Probably wise to double check the facts stated in the article.

“A Ford engineer tells us owners can upgrade to 30.5-inch tires without any clearance problems, but 31s won't fit without increasing the height of the suspension.”

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a34886203/2021-ford-bronco-sport-badlands-drive/

Reactions: Jrl

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is one Car & Driver article about the Bronco Sport.

The article is dated so be aware may not be 100% accurate info (2/11/21). Probably wise to double check the facts stated in the article.

“A Ford engineer tells us owners can upgrade to 30.5-inch tires without any clearance problems, but 31s won't fit without increasing the height of the suspension.”

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a34886203/2021-ford-bronco-sport-badlands-drive/
As stated above, JRL tried something bigger than 30" and it was a no-go.

I also forgot to mention that wheel offset also plays a role in the potential for tire rubbing. A lower offset wheel, or added spacer, will also mean a smaller maximum diameter.

I can't believe a Ford Engineer claimed that a lift would help to fit a bigger tire. He must have been a "Sales Engineer" because we know the pain point is the lower back pinch weld in the front wheel wells. Until you lift it more than 3-4" (which isn't really possible in any reliable way), you won't eliminate the tire rub possibility.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As stated above, JRL tried something bigger than 30" and it was a no-go.

I also forgot to mention that wheel offset also plays a role in the potential for tire rubbing. A lower offset wheel, or added spacer, will also mean a smaller maximum diameter.

I can't believe a Ford Engineer claimed that a lift would help to fit a bigger tire. He must have been a "Sales Engineer" because we know the pain point is the lower back pinch weld in the front wheel wells. Until you lift it more than 3-4" (which isn't really possible in any reliable way), you won't eliminate the tire rub possibility.
Totally agree, a lift of 1,2,2.5 inch will not change the front to back space , I had tire discount mount up a 30.6 Goodyear with my factory wheels it fit but also rubbed when. Turned lock to lock . I seen it with my own eyes and of course they suggested that I be the one to turn the wheel for obvious reasons .

Ford Bronco Sport Do 255/55R18 109H tires fit the 2023 Bronco Sport Badlands? IMG_0817

Last edited:

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
A 255/65/17 is at 30.1". I'm considering this size on stock wheel.
Sponsored