jeremylj1972

Big Bend
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport
New to this forum and through diligent searching I think I have identified the tires I want for our 2024 BB. Those of you without lifted bronco sports that have the Toyos, can you please give me your feedback on ride, performance and mpgs with these tires in 245/65/17s? I am especially interested in winter performance as this rig will be in Idaho and Colorado during visits.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!!
Sponsored

Jmuns

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BL
You'll find lots of threads on tires and especially Toyo AT3 from using the search function. You'll find more info that way just from the shear number of times this topic is brought up, so it starts to not gain much traction.

I have these tires on my BL and would put them on again. 45k miles and they are still in great shape and wearing evenly.

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/maxxis-razr-at-or-toyo-oc-at3s.9490/#post-166265

https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/toyo-open-country-psi-on-badlands.9387/#post-164377

jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2Dr Bronco
I have 235/65/r17 toyo at3s. They're good but heavier than the stock pirelli's, so I lost about 2-3 mpg. Some of that was the roof rack, as well.

They're a great tire, though, and I'd definitely recommend them. I've abused the sidewalls quite a bit in the rocks and they've held up incredibly well. They're good enough all around, and especially good in snow and ice from what I've seen. They're a bit more highway focused than some AT tires (i.e. they're an AT, not an MT-hybrid or RT), but they're a proper AT and will hold up off-road. There's minimal road noise and they do pretty well on dry pavement. No AT will do as well as a highway tire on dry pavement, but these are not a huge step down in that regard, and are a huge step up in durability and muddy/etc traction over an all season.

My only gripe is that they do seem to have lost more tread depth over time than I expected. I'm at >25k on them and almost 3 years. They've still got plenty left, but visually it seems like they're a good bit more than halfway though. They're warrantied to 55k on tread wear, though, so that gives some peace of mind there. They're also wearing evenly.

And with all that said, I just realized I'm repeating almost verbatim what I've said in earlier posts. There are a _lot_ of threads on this, but to be fair, a lot of them are "I got these a month ago", so I think it's fair to ask what folks think through time. At any rate, there are a crapload of good options for ATs these days, and you're not going to wrong with any of the bigger name ones. There's a spectrum from more off-road focused to more highway focused in AT tires, and you have to decide where you want to be on the spectrum and what tradeoffs you want to make. The Toyos sit kinda in the middle.

Last edited:

RogueRodney

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Atlas Blue Metallic
Hey jeremylj1972:

First Welcome to the Forum, (short of Jeep Forums) this is the best automotive "brotherhood" I've seen (and we're getting better, I wave every time I see a Bronco Sport, most don't wave back).

Anyway, I'm going to play abit of devil's advocate (mainly because I'm looking at tires down the road and I keep trying to talk myself into the smart thing vs what I want to do). The only reason I "butted in" is because you mentioned mpg.

The first question I've got is what do you run on now? I ask this because if you like the way the car rides now, you want to try to stick close to the same weight or less.

Second, I'm going to ask why 245's? More on that in a second.

Don't get me wrong, the 245/65/17 Toyo is a damned good tire, good manufacturer, etc. And it has Excellent Wet/Winter/ and Snow Ratings on Tirerack.

But Toyo also makes a 235/65/17, which performs the same as the 245, technically would be better off road (thinner tires are actually better offroad as I understand it), and would weigh less (that is the mpg angle and would improve handling).

But if your looking at 235's then why not look at the Falken 235/65/17 AT3W, which I believe is lighter, and have slightly better wet handling. Also looks like they are on closeout specials (which seems stupid to me, but...)

There is one other factor to consider with the 235's. It has a higer speed rating (noticed you were in Arizona). I know when passing I've hit speeds about the 245 ratings (would assume AZ is the same as TX, OK, LA, and NM.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, not trying to sway you neccesarily but sense you threw in comfort and mpg, the 235's would be better handling, lower cost, could improve comfort and likely would be better on mpg.

That said I'm likely buying 245's because I like the way they look despite the fact that I'm sure the 235's would be better for me.

Anyway, just food for thought man...

RR

OP
OP

jeremylj1972

Big Bend
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport
Hey jeremylj1972:

First Welcome to the Forum, (short of Jeep Forums) this is the best automotive "brotherhood" I've seen (and we're getting better, I wave every time I see a Bronco Sport, most don't wave back).

Anyway, I'm going to play abit of devil's advocate (mainly because I'm looking at tires down the road and I keep trying to talk myself into the smart thing vs what I want to do). The only reason I "butted in" is because you mentioned mpg.

The first question I've got is what do you run on now? I ask this because if you like the way the car rides now, you want to try to stick close to the same weight or less.

Second, I'm going to ask why 245's? More on that in a second.

Don't get me wrong, the 245/65/17 Toyo is a damned good tire, good manufacturer, etc. And it has Excellent Wet/Winter/ and Snow Ratings on Tirerack.

But Toyo also makes a 235/65/17, which performs the same as the 245, technically would be better off road (thinner tires are actually better offroad as I understand it), and would weigh less (that is the mpg angle and would improve handling).

But if your looking at 235's then why not look at the Falken 235/65/17 AT3W, which I believe is lighter, and have slightly better wet handling. Also looks like they are on closeout specials (which seems stupid to me, but...)

There is one other factor to consider with the 235's. It has a higer speed rating (noticed you were in Arizona). I know when passing I've hit speeds about the 245 ratings (would assume AZ is the same as TX, OK, LA, and NM.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, not trying to sway you neccesarily but sense you threw in comfort and mpg, the 235's would be better handling, lower cost, could improve comfort and likely would be better on mpg.

That said I'm likely buying 245's because I like the way they look despite the fact that I'm sure the 235's would be better for me.

Anyway, just food for thought man...

RR
I have built many jeeps and offroad rigs in the past and this little Bronco is my wife's and she loves the look of the bigger, meatier tires. I understand what the larger, heavier tires do to mpgs and performance both good and bad. I have tried Falken Wildpeaks before but had balancing problems and that can be a consistent problem with them. Discount tire tried and tried to get them to balance and ride well but we ended up swapping them out for Duratracs. Had I not of had a bad experience with Falkens they would be at the top of the list.

The Wildpeaks are showing 39lbs and the Open Country AT3s are showing 34lbs so I thought that would be a benefit as well.

Thank you for your response!

Last edited:

RogueRodney

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Atlas Blue Metallic
Yeah, the Falken Wildpeak AT4's are 39 lbs. The AT3's are 31 lbs.

Sorry to hear about the balancing issue, that is odd.

But when you said meatier tires, you pretty much sealed the deal at 245's.

Happy Trails Brother...

RR

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
235/70/17 is also a good option, a little narrower but a little taller.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
… I have tried Falken Wildpeaks before but had balancing problems and that can be a consistent problem with them. Discount tire tried and tried to get them to balance and ride well but we ended up swapping them out
Perhaps the Falken AT4W corrects any balancing issues from past tires

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
I hope so but the research I did suggested they are even heavier than the 3s.
They are heavier then the 3s but did anyone tell you why falken tires are difficult to balance? I see same reports on many forums regarding falken tires so just looking for reasons why (and there are reports of other tire types that are difficult to balance)

OP
OP

jeremylj1972

Big Bend
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco Sport
They are heavier then the 3s but did anyone tell you why falken tires are difficult to balance? I see same reports on many forums regarding falken tires so just looking for reasons why (and there are reports of other tire types that are difficult to balance)
My personal experience with a wrangler where I bought Falken Wildpeaks and after several attempts, discount tire took them back and I ended up getting Duratracs instead.

Babybronc21

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport First Edition
I have 235 Falken’s on mine and they roll like a dream. Never an issues with balancing. Time for new ones and going with Falken again. AT4 now though and super excited about that tire even with the mpg hit.

Mwittke5857

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
I went with the Goodrich Trail A/Ts (235/65/27), I know they pull my BB through foot+ snow effortlessly. In Buffalo NY area, that's kind of important

RodNSA

Base
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
New to this forum and through diligent searching I think I have identified the tires I want for our 2024 BB. Those of you without lifted bronco sports that have the Toyos, can you please give me your feedback on ride, performance and mpgs with these tires in 245/65/17s? I am especially interested in winter performance as this rig will be in Idaho and Colorado during visits.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!!
Zero problems in all conditions ... but my tire guy talked me into the 235s. Get them ... 235 or 245 if others recommend that size and you definitely will be satisfied on and off road ... rain or shine. I do have a friend that has them in Wyoming and says they are awesome in the snow. Good luck!
Sponsored